Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, astondalston said:

Good view on the mans approach to organisational culture.

Great talk but shocking audio..... bear with it!

Very interesting part of this is how he says he thinks it's wrong to hold back a player from flourishing at a higher level if they can. Makes the keeping of Jack seem even more of a statement of intent now. He can get into any team in this league. Keeping him from going there says to me we definitely have designs on being one of the top teams.

On 19/10/2020 at 16:02, Greenfly said:

I don't know if it's been pointed out yet, or if this is even the right place to say this, but so far this season we've spent 0 minutes in a losing position in the league. That's pretty incredible, considering we had the worst defense in the league for most of last season.

I tend to think it was the whole team, who struggled to defend,last season as opposed to the customary defenders, being soley at fault.

The managers work in lock down and the new Goal Keeper has been a major factor too.

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Also wow, he said he knew before the game we would beat Derby at Wembley before the game. Wish he could've let me know as I was shitting bricks for 90 minutes!

I think the 7-0 aggregate scores from the regular season games gave some indication.

That and the fact that we love playing derby.

Although agreed, I was shitting myself throughout the final too!!

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the 7-0 aggregate scores from the regular season games gave some indication.

That and the fact that we love playing derby.

Although agreed, I was shitting myself throughout the final too!!

To be honest, if there was any team in the top 6 I would have wanted to face in the final, it was Derby. I was celebrating like a madman when they beat Leeds because I was certain we'd lose to them. He's right, we were better than Derby and 95 times out of 100 we win that game. 5% chance is still too much for me though so nerves were through the roof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think controversial to say this but if we beat Leeds then 5 Premier League wins in a row tops the Championship 10 in a row

Historical bookies odds of us winning both runs of fixtures

First 5 this season: 188/1

The 10 in a row: 1,100/1

I think it needs a few more to match it in terms of odds. Maybe 7 total.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Very interesting part of this is how he says he thinks it's wrong to hold back a player from flourishing at a higher level if they can. Makes the keeping of Jack seem even more of a statement of intent now. He can get into any team in this league. Keeping him from going there says to me we definitely have designs on being one of the top teams.

To be honest I think even if he wanted to leave it’s not that simple. The price has to be right. Pep was telling the truth last season when he said Man City couldn’t afford him.  If Man City can’t who can?

18 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I think it's more down to how it feels rather than the odds of it happening. If we can say We've win five in a row at the top level, including an absolute stomping of the defending champions, it's a real statement of how far we've come.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be honest I think even if he wanted to leave it’s not that simple. The price has to be right. Pep was telling the truth last season when he said Man City couldn’t afford him.  If Man City can’t who can?

Sounded like if he made up his mind to leave, he would have. City can afford him, it's just that they aren't in the market for £80m players, they like to shop in the £40-60m range. United could have signed him if they pulled the finger out etc.

He stayed because according to him, the club convinced him to stay by outlining their ambition. It looks like Dean buys into it too as I imagine if he didn't he would give Jack his blessings to leave, which from what I can tell, he didn't.

2 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I think the odds give a good sense of the expectation, but not really of the achievement. A lot of Smith’s hard work over the past few months is priced into the odds now.

24 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think the odds give a good sense of the expectation, but not really of the achievement. A lot of Smith’s hard work over the past few months is priced into the odds now.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. I was just trying to give some context to the likelihood of each happening before they started.

You're dead on with regards to his great work being priced in as well. The day before that Derby game in 2019 you'd have got way longer odds on us winning 5 in a row in the PL at the start of the 20/21 season than 1,100/1.

The job he has done since then is almost incomprehensible.

I was highly critical of smith before lockdown but am delighted to be proved wrong - he seems to have got the players in he wanted this summer and the team look very decent so far - long May it continue .

my worry Is if we get injuries to key players as our reserves are not particularly good 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Shall we just bid for Ivan Toney now? 

Try £40 million!!! He's very highly thought of by our management, another 2 tonight and he's already top scorer in the Championship, and he looks the part, we took a year to get Peterborough to sell him for a record fee, and it's paid off, just like Ollie has for you, and with our track record he's only going to get better,  You heard it from me, just watch this space. 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think controversial to say this but if we beat Leeds then 5 Premier League wins in a row tops the Championship 10 in a row

I don't know about this. That was a 109 year club record and a Championship record that still stands to this day.

Winning 5 games in a row happened as recently as 1998.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2020 at 17:03, astondalston said:

Good view on the mans approach to organisational culture.

Great talk but shocking audio..... bear with it!

This is excellent. What an inspirational leader!

• Like 1

Â