Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Delighted for the win obviously as everyone else is.

I felt the team shape was all wrong though due to what three of the players were doing which everyone seems to be saying did well in the game.

McGinn, Barclay and Trez.

Barclay kept coming to deep, McGinn keep going forward too much and Trez didn’t seem to be trusted by his team mates to switch the play to him from the left hand side.

Unpopular I know.

When Traore came on the play switched much more which stretches the opposition.

The midfield was muddled because McGinn’s primary role in a 4231 is to break up play, give a progressive pass and to fill in for the full back that has gone forward for the overload.

Barclay should always be on of the options for that progressive pass, he doesn’t need to come back for the ball because the 6 that are back when the opposition aren’t countering should be enough to defend the ball, eventually winning for the front 4 with the two full backs overloading if they can get up in time.

Hopefully that is fixed for Friday as whatever people think of Leeds they are one of those teams that are system orientated and it will get exploited.

I'm still a bit worried about the lack of a DMC presence, but I'll put my hands up and say I'm amazed how balanced Grealish, Barkley and Trez makes us look. 

I would have thought we would get run over to a larger degree, but we look pretty good. I sure was wrong there. 

Guess the BGT has strong enough engines to cover backwards when needed. 

Dean and his team have learned so much - and they’re big enough to admit that they’re learning. You can see it in all of our league performances this year: tactical astuteness rather than the ‘we play this way and we’ll die trying’ of early last season. 

I was dubious when Dean spoke of assembling a team based on certain values - hard work etc. But, I have to admit: you can start to see a sort of AVFC football brand coming into focus here. I think Dean saw it all along. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

We will lose 3/4 in a row this year. But we wont buckle like previously - thank you Dean. 

**** that. Unless you’re counting games already played last season.

Edited by MNVillan
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Delighted for the win obviously as everyone else is.

I felt the team shape was all wrong though due to what three of the players were doing which everyone seems to be saying did well in the game.

McGinn, Barclay and Trez.

Barclay kept coming to deep, McGinn keep going forward too much and Trez didn’t seem to be trusted by his team mates to switch the play to him from the left hand side.

Unpopular I know.

When Traore came on the play switched much more which stretches the opposition.

The midfield was muddled because McGinn’s primary role in a 4231 is to break up play, give a progressive pass and to fill in for the full back that has gone forward for the overload.

Barclay should always be on of the options for that progressive pass, he doesn’t need to come back for the ball because the 6 that are back when the opposition aren’t countering should be enough to defend the ball, eventually winning for the front 4 with the two full backs overloading if they can get up in time.

Hopefully that is fixed for Friday as whatever people think of Leeds they are one of those teams that are system orientated and it will get exploited.

McGinn and Barkley swapped roles at half time in part because Barkley was struggling with a knock all game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weedman said:

Doubting is not the same as writing off. Doubting him was perfectly normal - with the way we were playing I'd be surprised if there was a single Villa fan without any doubt. Writing him off was and is completely different and, as has been proven, completely wrong. 

When you couple the "writing off" with ridiculing and putting down anyone who didn't agree with you and then proclaiming that you were clearly right to do so whenever we played poorly and despite being proven absolutely wrong by the seasons end STILL trying to take the moral high ground by claiming it was nothing more than a simple critique it just makes it clear trolling rather than an informed opinion or debate

I'm assuming the "you" is general and not me, as I didnt do any of those things.

6 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I'm assuming the "you" is general and not me, as I didnt do any of those things.

Yes, wasn't referring to you, perhaps certain other Leeds...sorry, "Villa" fans that even when blocked seem to keep clogging up the board by appearing in quotes

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

He is an Aston Villa fan and deserved better consider where we were when he took over, but what's gone is gone.  

I am not sure how that even works, if was a Blues fan should have been sacked for doing the same job and achieving the same results. After we lost so badly to Leicester I couldn't see us surviving and would have been happy to see Dean go. The board luckily resisted that urge and backed him with absolutely brilliant signings. I am glad that I didn't get my way.

Just imagine how many more points we'd have now if we'd replaced him in the summer with a proper manager who can motivate players or impact games through tactics... Someone like Bielsa... 👀

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm still a bit worried about the lack of a DMC presence, but I'll put my hands up and say I'm amazed how balanced Grealish, Barkley and Trez makes us look. 

I would have thought we would get run over to a larger degree, but we look pretty good. I sure was wrong there. 

Guess the BGT has strong enough engines to cover backwards when needed. 

No idea what DMC and BGT are

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Dean and his team have learned so much - and they’re big enough to admit that they’re learning. You can see it in all of our league performances this year: tactical astuteness rather than the ‘we play this way and we’ll die trying’ of early last season. 

I was dubious when Dean spoke of assembling a team based on certain values - hard work etc. But, I have to admit: you can start to see a sort of AVFC football brand coming into focus here. I think Dean saw it all along. 

Dean is the first to admit his mistakes and his willingness to learn and adapt has been a major factor in our revival. I think that’s a tremendous quality to have, and being the father figure a lot of these players need, especially Grealish and Watkins. His temperament on the pitch and in post matches exudes a quiet confidence that works in many positive ways. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Spoke very well after the game and isn't getting carried away. He'll have a problem in midfield this season because Mcginniesta and Luiz seem to get booked in every game. 

Hourihane has looked good so far this season.

Hopefully Nakamba has improved as well.

19 minutes ago, Nicho said:

No idea what DMC and BGT are

Devil May Cry and Britain’s Got Talent.

• Haha 2

Â