Dean Smith

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Excellent tactics again today. Once we controlled the game I didn't think they'd do much. He made a tweak in that he dropped Barkley back a bit so we could get more possession.

Just heard Dean Smith's interview glad he sees things like me lol.

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

In 90 matches, we've gone from 15th in the Championship to a 4 game winning streak, breaking a 90-year-old record.

Huge credit to Dean and all the coaching staff.

What a 2 years.

Plus a 10 game club record winning streak as well and 2 trips to Wembley. 

Dean has done a fantastic job. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Absolutely. Still amazes me that people were desperate to get rid of him. 

Saying that, lockdown came at the right time for us and Smith. I guess we'll never know how close he was to being sacked but there was certainly some noise about it.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Just watched his post match interview. So level headed. Doesn't get carried away. 

Let’s hope we don’t either. When the inevitable dropping off in form happens, we need to remember how far we’ve already come. 
For now though, I’m having another beer. :cheers:

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Absolutely. Still amazes me that people were desperate to get rid of him. 

I was one of them but after lockdown he changed things and has been on an upward trend since then and now he is a solid premier League manager. Hopefully he can continue to improve and I'm confident in his ability to bring the best out of players and hopefully win trophies for us.

Edit. - his biggest improvement is in making in game tweaks and adjustments to the players out there. He did it again today by dropping Barkley closer to Mcginn and Luiz. This allowed us to get more possession and cut down their passing through us which they did in the first 15 minutes or so.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, penguin said:

Did we need one?

We were in the ascendancy more and more the longer the 2nd went on, why would we want to change the balance ?(Aside from Trez being dead on his feet.)

I have moaned on occasion that Dean seems to make changes too late, or not at all, when it really looks like there is one to be made. Today is not one of those days.

I'd argue that Smith puts a lot of trust in the starting X1 he picks and will only make the necessary changes when needed. Today was a prime example of that.

Dean Smith's Villa are the only team in the top 5 European leagues to win all their games. 

Dean Smith's Villa have just won their first 4 games for the first time in 90 years. 

Two more accolades for Dean. 👏👏

Edited by Villarocker
  • Thanks 1

I wrote him off previously but he has proved me wrong and I’m delighted.

Dean Smith has improved as a head coach, he has us drilled and I feel like he sets us up differently depending on which team we play.

He is fastly becoming a tactician. Previously we have been known to dampen a managers reputation however this time around he has certainly enhanced his.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I thought he looked like a broken man right before the Covid break. Fans had valid concerns about him.

Managers just like players can improve. The turnaround really is remarkable and long may it continue.

But also Wilder hasn’t become a bad manager because he only has 1 point out of 5 games now who you loved last season.

Some fans had concerns about Smith but some fans didn’t.  I said we would survive because I believe Smith learns and adapts.  Sometimes too slowly for my liking and yes lockdown helped us but there were so many new factors last season from players, experience, languages, injuries etc against established teams it was always going to take time, we were going to have really bad spells like pre lockdown but he also has really good spells. Like today Barkley said he switched McGinn and Barkley at half time, a slight tweak but made such a difference in my eyes.

We’ll have a bad spell at some point but that’s when fans need to keep their heads.  Meanwhile we enjoy the now.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Â