Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

Smith, and JT, deserve massive credit for our turnaround post COVID break. We look so organised and tough to play against now, I would imagine statistically one of the best defences in the league post-lockdown?

You're forgetting someone. It's no coincidence that we look transformed since Shakespeare joined.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Was getting edgy over their subs giving them more energy but hard to take players off when they're doing that

We look organised and full of effort which happened quietly but it's the bare minimum requirement and something a lot of villa teams have lacked

Close to saying we look a bit like MONS lightening quick team but with a bit more about us, weaker wing play but stronger centreΒ 

I was thinking we should get Conor on as our set pieces were a bit shit.Β  Glad we didn't as McGinn's turn and pass and obv Barkley's shot made the difference.Β  No point making subs for the sake of it.Β  Could easily have finished the game without making any as Trez seems so much fitter.

We genuinely look like the best defensive team in the PL this season too, when everyone else has been defending like clowns it seems.Β  Fantastic effort from Dean, the coaches and the players.

He doesn't seem to like to do subs at all.

Playing the same team every week and rarely rotating is mainly why we missed out on top 4 under MON.

Either he doesn't want to ruin the flow of the game or he simply doesn't trust his subs.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Playing the same team every week and rarely rotating is mainly why we missed out on top 4 under MON.

Either he doesn't want to ruin the flow of the game or he simply doesn't trust his subs.

It felt to me like there was a goal to come in the match either way, and I was assuming he was waiting for that goal (either from us or them, both sides were creating chances) to make a midfield sub.Β  either Nakamba or Hourihane.Β  Seemed the trezeguet sub with traore coming on was part of the plan once trezeguet started looking leggy.

Just now, Paulie said:

It felt to me like there was a goal to come in the match either way, and I was assuming he was waiting for that goal (either from us or them, both sides were creating chances) to make a midfield sub.Β  either Nakamba or Hourihane.Β  Seemed the trezeguet sub with traore coming on was part of the plan once trezeguet started looking leggy.

I'm just a bit worried we'll get burned out. We've seen it happen before in the past.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Its also how we won the league under Ron Saunders.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

In 90 matches, we've gone from 15th in the Championship to a 5 game winning streak, breaking a 90-year-old record.

Huge credit to Dean and all the coaching staff.

Nah, out of his depth, championship manager, clueless, smith out!

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Did we need one?

We were in the ascendancy more and more the longer the 2nd went on, why would weΒ want to change the balance ?(Aside from Trez being dead on his feet.)

I have moaned on occasion that Dean seems to make changes too late, or not at all, when it really looks like there is one to be made. Today is not one of those days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Football has changed.

Much more intensive games now.

The players are much fitter and it's a faster game, I grant you.Β  But then the players got kicked around a lot more and played on worse pitches. All mitigate against continual match fitness fitness and towards injuries.

It was still remarkable in 81, and it's remarkable to set out to do so in 2020.

But there's evidence its working.

Β 

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's been spot on so far for me.

• Like 1

Γ—
Γ—
Γ‚