24 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We're so enjoyable to watch these days. Dark days of Bruceball well and truly behind us.

Also, is it just me or do we look a lot more comfortable seeing games out?

yep, Smith has talked a lot about rest periods during the game, using the defensive shape to catch a breath. I think that’s giving us the extra energy to stay in control late on.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

We weren't at our best yet we scored 4 goals and could have had more.

Smith is a breath of fresh air.

This is the frustrating thing - most could see the ability In this squad , Bruce held them back big time - smith let’s them play their game and we are reaping the benefits 

• Like 3

Post game interview was him discussing tactics on the touchscreen, about how we looked to get Blues shifted across to their right, then we could switch the play quickly and get 2 on 1 on their left back.

Can you ever imagine that happening with Bruce?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

This is the frustrating thing - most could see the ability In this squad , Bruce held them back big time - smith let’s them play their game and we are reaping the benefits 

Can’t remember the names but after his first post match interview their were people who said him talking about “traps & phases” as gibberish or words to that effect. 

Whoever it was must be sheepish right now. 

Moving on, I liked that he wasn’t pleased with the performance because neither was I, I’ve not watched the Blues but it quickly became apparent they’re from the Steve Bruce / Pulis school of football and if we’d really gone full blast I think we could have done them handsomely today

Just now, andym said:

Post game interview was him discussing tactics on the touchscreen, about how we looked to get Blues shifted across to their right, then we could switch the play quickly and get 2 on 1 on their left back.

Can you ever imagine that happening with Bruce?

Bruce would have said “how do I order a Big Mac?”

• Haha 1

Remember when people used to say under Bruce "We haven't played well and still scraped a 1 - 0, sign of a good team"

Do you now see the difference?

Haven't played our best, sloppy at the back, but still blew them away with sheer attacking quality. Not a lucky win with a moment of brilliance.

ALL with players signed by Bruce.

• Like 3

Just now, Villan4Life said:

Myself, @sir_gary_cahill and few others have been talking about Ezri Konsa in this thread in last few months.

Alas Arsenal now linked with signing him for £15mil in January.

He is very good player feel Chris Mepham at the moment is slightly better!

Exciting see what Dean will do in January.

Konsa stood out to me at Villa Park, looked very good, don’t know too much about Mepham, you know more than me Villan4Life

Actually thought for much of the game it was a Steve Bruce type performance, 30 minutes of turgid play and then the game was turned by individual quality from our forward players.

I don't think the two week break from the Derby game helped things.

McGinn is huge to our style of play aswell so hopefully he's back soon.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not wanting to have yet another dig at the previous management, but that’s four wins out of six compared to three out of eleven.

Great work Dean and his team.

Utterly pointless comparison. A more relevant one would be Bruce’s start vs Smith’s start - although still completely pointless. 

• VT Supporter
8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I liked his post match comments, where he suggested that the performance wasn't good, he's right, we really only played in moments today, we didn't dominate the ball enough and the tempo was too low, it's good to see a manager being so critical despite it being an excellent win over a bitter rival.

Lots to do with the defence and as I said earlier, the fitness levels aren't quite there to play the Dean Smith brand for 90 minutes week in, week out. I also think he needs time to build more confidence in the players when they have the ball in the final third. 

What's great is that we're playing much better than under Bruce and getting some very good results, it will only get better over time, with Smith getting them to play how he wants, and of course, a January window to improve the squad.

Clearly not up to the QPR and Derby levels, not even close. Mitigated somewhat with it being a derby, he said himself before that it would be a completely different type of game to Derby and it was. Not sure I agree about fitness, being smarter with the ball means you can have a breather whilst you keep it, problem was today that we really casually gave it away way too much. quite a few occasions where it should have been 2 touch and someone's just dwelt too long on it and got us in trouble.

Last sentence is 100% spot on IMO, it's not even his squad yet, he's got this total night and day turnaround happening with someone else's players. His project starts in terms of squad building in January, that's where Pitarch and Smith along with the scouts (has there been some appointments on this side too?!) get to take the first steps in creating the squad they want to play the way they want. If we can hit the QPR and Derby levels more often than not AND improve the playing staff the second half of the season is going to be something special.

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â