Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Jareth said:

Dude, I hate to say it but lately you sound like a reasonable, intelligent poster. Fair play. Promise me you're not some BCFC agent - cos you're living rent free in my head!

My opinions are not set in stone.

When new evidence is shown opinions may change, not just mine.

After the 4-0 loss at Leicester fans had every right to ask questions about DS. We were going down with a whimper. 

He's turned it around which shows a strength of character so fair play to Dean.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

My opinions are not set in stone.

When new evidence is shown opinions may change, not just mine.

After the 4-0 loss at Leicester fans had every right to ask questions about DS. We were going down with a whimper. 

He's turned it around which shows a strength of character so fair play to Dean.

Damn likes are limited but have one nonetheless. 

28 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I haven’t got time to do a full write up of my thoughts on Smith, plus plenty of people have covered them in depth anyway in this thread. But one thing that’s always impressed me about him is his willingness to learn. He’s always striving to improve and has never claimed to be the finished article. I’m fairly confident that the mistakes of this season will be noted and worked on for the next campaign. His attitude is spot on. 

That's a great point. Being at the Villa helm was probably Deano's ultimate career fantasy, once he'd been in the game a few years and worked his way up. He's been given the opportunity relatively early in his managerial career and he's absolutly got the right qualities and philosophies, and will build up the experience. You don't get long at Villa to make your mark, he's managed to get us up from a position where the playoffs looked impossible and keep us up this year when we were 7 adrift and 1/10 on to go down. The way he's dealt with the pressure of that and delivered is incredibly impressive. You don't achieve that without also having great tactical nouse to get this team set up right for the games that count, and a great ability to instill confidence and belief in a set of inexperienced players and get them fighting, when they could so easily have capitulated given where we were.

I do like the 'we got promoted a year too early' line that gets rolled out. Like it was nailed on. If we didn't go up last year we'd have had our pants completly pulled down on the Grealish price, no parachute money, no stadium to sell. No Mings, Konsa, no Wes, no Dougie. McGinn may have gone. We'd only have had about £25-35m from Jack sale to operate within FFP. So to assume if we were in the championship this year it would have been a walk in the park is mental. Going up and staying up is a massive turning point in the rich history of this great club and gives us such a big springboard now to go on and compete, but it wasn't a given, and the man Smith deserves huge respect for delivering, and he will get better!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I thought we’d stay up right up to the Leicester game. Quite often I felt too positive, but that Leicester game drained all hope from me. We looked dead and buried. I’m very very happy for Dean. The last 4 games we looked like a decent mid table team (missing a good striker) so the work paid off right at the last minute. Onwards and hopefully upwards now.

I think since lockdown, we've looked a decent striker away from being a comfortable prem team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Dude, I hate to say it but lately you sound like a reasonable, intelligent poster. Fair play. Promise me you're not some BCFC agent - cos you're living rent free in my head!

I'm pretty sure he was waiting for us to go down before the big reveal 'Hahaha I'm not a Villa fan at all suckers' but it got kyboshed yesterday 😅 Not much else he can do other than seem humbled right now and hope for better next season. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think since lockdown, we've looked a decent striker away from being a comfortable prem team. 

A decent striker would have us on 5/6 more points post lockdown, I agree.

17 minutes ago, PilkyMakinMusik said:

That's a great point. Being at the Villa helm was probably Deano's ultimate career fantasy, once he'd been in the game a few years and worked his way up. He's been given the opportunity relatively early in his managerial career and he's absolutly got the right qualities and philosophies, and will build up the experience. You don't get long at Villa to make your mark, he's managed to get us up from a position where the playoffs looked impossible and keep us up this year when we were 7 adrift and 1/10 on to go down. The way he's dealt with the pressure of that and delivered is incredibly impressive. You don't achieve that without also having great tactical nouse to get this team set up right for the games that count, and a great ability to instill confidence and belief in a set of inexperienced players and get them fighting, when they could so easily have capitulated given where we were.

I do like the 'we got promoted a year too early' line that gets rolled out. Like it was nailed on. If we didn't go up last year we'd have had our pants completly pulled down on the Grealish price, no parachute money, no stadium to sell. No Mings, Konsa, no Wes, no Dougie. McGinn may have gone. We'd only have had about £25-35m from Jack sale to operate within FFP. So to assume if we were in the championship this year it would have been a walk in the park is mental. Going up and staying up is a massive turning point in the rich history of this great club and gives us such a big springboard now to go on and compete, but it wasn't a given, and the man Smith deserves huge respect for delivering, and he will get better!

Used up all my likes on funny gifs yesterday, but I completely agree with your post. There’s no guarantees in the championship, it was important to get out when we did and survive the first season. Smith has done that, and now gets the chance to build on a transitional season and lead us on. He’ll be learning all the time, as will the new players. The team spirit is there for all to see now. 

Exciting times ahead. 

I'm not feeling euphoric or deflated, just relieved. I've been super critical of Smith and his Team over the last few months and quite rightly so. I think many of our earlier season issues were down to naivety and not being self confident in what he was doing. I think most of us could see that at times which is where I think most of the frustrations with him lie. To the point that we/many of us had been tipped over the edge with regards to defending him and what he was doing. I personally felt although the squad wasn't/isn't great, they were worth more than what they were producing. I think that has in some ways been proven to be correct. 

I also though think though, on reflection the same has to be said of Smith himself. He was underperforming but turned his fortunes around when it mattered most and proved he can ultimately get his shit together at this level when necessary. I'm so glad he has managed to come out of this season on a positive because it's positive for us all. He's also come off the last few months with a major loss personally and had his professional CV battered by all and sundry. Including myself. Whether he is the long term future I doubt as managers are literally on a carousel but short term I think he deserves to keep his position and see f he can also push on now. He's earnt it. 

• Like 1

I must admit Im not overly enamoured on Smith and ROK and wasnt when they got the job.............. his career is littered with great runs of form sandwiched between massive runs of poor form........... for me you cant set a team up in this way and have longevity, especially at a big club

All that said, hes come in, took us up, got us to losing finalists in the league cup and then kept us up which was his only job and I dont think we could have asked any more from him - so for me, would be extremely harsh to sack him............ and he deserves the chance to bring in 3/4 top quality players to push us on........ 

Well, we will have to see how he does next season, and if he has learned much from this season. I also hope we can recruit wisely, which will allow us to judge him fairly.

Certainly he is going nowhere now, so I give him my full support and hope he can take us to where we and him would want to be. Perhaps the beautiful dream may still be alive.

45 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

2 shots on target in the last 3 games and they both went in, only Villa. Should have been 4 out of 4 wins to close out the season. 

you mean shots against us ? 

Â