Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I've been a big critic of his but at the end of the day, every one us would have begged for 17th before the season so its mission accomplished, twice in two seasons so he absolutely deserves to be manager next season.

However there can be no excuses moving forward. We have to develop some sort of style of play and the signings need to be much, much better this summer. We can't let it go down to the wire next season for all our health.

Obviously its all about results but he is a genuinely top bloke and the players seem to love him.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

Yep agree with most.

He's not immune to criticism. At times this season the team, and Smith, have been dreadful.

But the target was always (or should have been) 17th and survival, and he's achieved it. He's got the team performing well enough to get over the line and so he's done his job. Nobody can be unhappy with that, imo.

If you'd told me 3 weeks ago we'd win 2 and draw 2 of our last 4 games to stay up I'd have laughed at you. Fair play to Dean and the team for pulling it together when it counted!

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Oh yes he can

Let’s be honest we stayed up by the skin of our teeth with a points total that would normally get you relegated. Credit that he kept us up but we can’t get carried away and need to be better next season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A Express article not about the weather or Diana? 

I didn't know it was still going. A joke of a paper.  It's even worse than the Birmingham Mail.

From what it looks like now the dust has settled. Sawiris is potentially buying a stake in Vitoria SC and Bruno Lage is going to be on the coaching staff. Somewhere a wire has been crossed with some mischief I suppose and took it to mean Smith is getting replaced by Lage. Evidently now that's not the case. 

Well done Dean and all concerned for pulling off a bit of a great escape. I along with many was rapidly losing faith and getting mightily frustrated in that run between Jan & the enforced Covid break and admit i had pretty much written us off too.

Certainly now deserves the chance to continue the project in my view.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Haha you could see a couple of the usual posters who hate Smith get excited. 

This is fantastic news.

These are the sorts of moves we need to be making to try and claw something back from the real "big" boys.

I absolutely cannot effing believe it. So happy.

Well done Dean Smith. Well done Aston Villa.

The most incredible two seasons that will be remembered forever by those who lived though it.

I don't want it to happen, but I wouldn't argue with him being moved on if we could get in a top manager in quickly.

This isn't a charity, Dean knows that. For example if Pocc was interested (which he won't be), it would be a handshake and a goodbye to Deano with the next level of manager coming in.

The HUGE hope, is that just like all the players, he's improved through this. I have no doubts if we were to part ways, he'd go on to be an absolute hero at his next side.

I'm thinking about Grealish as well. If he's moving on, it makes sense this is the time to change manager as well IMO. How the hell do you adjust to losing a player that good? It's going to be very very tough. A new man can come in with fresh ideas and doesn't have it hanging over him.

Smith has done enough to have another go and I wouldn't begrudge him, it's all about the available options. Please God he'll have an actual Premier League squad to work with this time round.

• Thanks 1

Smashing interview here which shows the both the human side of Smith (this one was for my old man) and his approach as a coach. He talks about the 3 words that he and squad chose together in Minnesota over a year ago that they wanted to define their season. I think his steady head has been a real blessing this season. It was always going to be a big ask to get so many new faces through the door and to gel in such an unforgiving league. But he did it, and now we can build further from here.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53545006

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm thinking about Grealish as well. If he's moving on, it makes sense this is the time to change manager as well IMO. How the hell do you adjust to losing a player that good? It's going to be very very tough. A new man can come in with fresh ideas and doesn't have it hanging over him.

I disagree - vehemently 

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This is fantastic news.

These are the sorts of moves we need to be making to try and claw something back from the real "big" boys.

How do you reckon?

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

Let’s be honest we stayed up by the skin of our teeth with a points total that would normally get you relegated. Credit that he kept us up but we can’t get carried away and need to be better next season. 

I'm definitely carried away

Â