Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So genuine question...

Does anyone still want him gone? Intrigued for your reasoning why if so...

I don't want him gone.

But if Pochettino became available i wouldn't hesitate a second pulling the plug.

• Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

So genuine question...

No, we’ve got a manager who loves the club and managed to get us back in the league on first ask and kept us there (along with a cup final!)

huge learning curve for DS with a newly gathered squad, which he galvanised in the COVID break.

I think, with some decent acquisitions this summer, DS will continue to improve as a manager. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The only reason I would say yes to suggesting Smith is to be replaced.

Until that time then in Deano we believe

Or Gallardo :) 

But no Hughton and Dyche non sense and their crap football

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So genuine question...

No, Deano should stay. We were dead and buried 2 weeks ago but he’s done the near impossible. He deserves to stay. Just hope that fighting spirit that has kept us up goes with us into next season!! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, supermario said:

Just hope that fighting spirit that has kept us up goes with us into next season!! 

That's the key.

He talked about building a culture in his post match interview.

Need a stronger mentality next season.

• Like 1

I haven't been impressed this season at all honestly, we've been largely poor and most of the signings have been distinctly average. We survived by the skin of our teeth and a nice dose of luck.

Having said all that you cant argue with keeping us up, he 100% deserves credit for that and for me he will get and probably deserves another season but the jury is still out. I know some people wont like that considering everyone is on a high of positive emotions but thats my honest assessment looking at the season as a whole.

• Like 1

A major point that I saw on some of the NBC analysis over here: both Robbie Earl & Robbie Mustoe kept talking about the way which Dean has an influence on the squad. His steady and calming demeanor was frequently mentioned, and they absolutely loved the presser where he said that him and Jack will be getting drunk later tonight. 

To bring that many new players together, many of them not up to it in key positions, to have critical injuries to key players, losing his dad during a global pandemic - and **** getting the job done against the odds.

He's an absolute hero 👏 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's the key.

He talked about building a culture in his post match interview.

Need a stronger mentality next season.

Something happened when we won the game at Palace. The Villa were playing and actually carving out results. Pre lockdown and up to the Palace game we were awful. Smith’s had a massive learning curve and it needs to be built on next season.

He proved he could learn from all the mistakes pre-covid. Dealt a shitty hand with the forwards and wingers, injuries. We looked doomed and headed for more uncertainty. But he shored us up, and pulled off a second miracle in as many years. 1 shot on target against us in those last 2 games! Against 2 sides who were bang in form. He’s our man, think next season we’ll be a different Villa. Midtable I think we’ll achieve. We have had this year to experiment and take stock of what is needed for next season, we’ve done it. Well done Deano, delivered against the odds.

• Like 1

Oh yeah yes lets get rid of the guy who oversaw two impossible seasons of success, to get Pochetino - that makes so much sense, Poketino knows the Villa inside out and definitely does not take the best wage offered. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Oh yeah yes lets get rid of the guy who oversaw two impossible seasons of success, to get Pochetino - that makes so much sense, Poketino knows the Villa inside out and definitely does not take the best wage offered. 

In Dean we trust - he has earned that trust 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

I will be suprised if they got rid of Smith know. He has completed the job just about and is slowly starting to improve a very unbalanced squad. I would be suprised if Purslow fires him. Give him a decent transfer window and another pre season to see how he gets on. 17th and a League Cup Final is a decent first full season imo. We need some continuity.

Â