Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Is that Wesley at the back?

I dno but though Ralf Harris was on the right with the glasses.

• Haha 1

Doubted him at times this season but **** me he did it, well done, deffo stays next season... 

Also, I just really love everyone on this forum right now, even the people who post nonsense. 

VTID

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Garth Crooks is one lazy mofo - he was like 'yeah but why would he go through this again' to Dion - the fecker doesn't realise how significant staying up is - the spending power of our ambitious owners will be last summer's window on steroids. 

on 4 - 6 players instead of 13

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Anyone criticising Smith this season should perhaps look back and see what they would have found “acceptable” back then. He got us promoted when we had no right to be, then he kept us up when the squad was a bunch of (largely poor) newbies under a bad recruitment regime and then suffered through a pandemic.

He deserves all the praise. This is his moment. If he is sacked I just give up with this club.

We got promoted, it felt good. We stayed up, it feels good. We will pug on, that will feel good. I don’t want anything to change other than recruitment. 

Fair. Credit where it’s due, something clicked the last two weeks.

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Anyone criticising Smith this season should perhaps look back and see what they would have found “acceptable” back then. He got us promoted when we had no right to be, then he kept us up when the squad was a bunch of (largely poor) newbies under a bad recruitment regime and then suffered through a pandemic.

He deserves all the praise. This is his moment. If he is sacked I just give up with this club.

We got promoted, it felt good. We stayed up, it feels good. We will pug on, that will feel good. I don’t want anything to change other than recruitment. 

Absolutely. 

I love manager who proves himself to be flexible and willing to change it up when necessary. 

Dean realized our strikers were pants during the break and turned us into a defensive focused team that conceded twice in our last 4 games. Also, both of those goals were of a very fluke variety. 

I think next year we won't be this defensive but it's good to know we have something to fall back on if necessary. Given that FFP has been switched off for the next season I think we will be one of the big spenders again.

In the end I'm glad Dean is still the man. He delivers, what more can you ask for.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Guaranteed 99.9% of us on here would have taken 17th place in a heartbeat at the start of the season.  Finishing 17th and throw in a cup final to boot I'd class that as a successful season. We forget we needed a full squad to get us over the line and they did it. Yes we were poor but still got the job done. Now we can spend on some quality instead of quantity.

Yup cant wait to see a few go out who have been poor but us keep hold of the players who have made the difference.

Now it's down to our Owners saying Hell NO to offers of anything for the players we need to be keeping.

We do that and keep our best players, we bring the best in, we may see the days return again of when we were in europe every season and us giving as good as we got to top premier clubs.

What a time to be a Villa fan again, we broke two decades of bad luck with these Owners and Smith to be fair.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

"he bottled it" is a term that has been thrown at Smith a couple of times this season. 

After a Play off final, cup final, and now 8 points from 4 games when it was needed most, I think we can put to bed that particular criticism 🤣

Whatever people may think about Smith there's no way he should be sacked. He deserves the start of next season. We signed a whole new team, he took us to a cup final and kept us in the Premier League. Unless you had some crazy expections for what this season was meant to be then you can't ask for much more than that. 

Got us promoted against all odds.

Kept us up against all odds.

• Like 3

Just now, av1 said:

"he bottled it" is a term that has been thrown at Smith a couple of times this season. 

After a Play off final, cup final, and now 8 points from 4 games when it was needed most, I think we can put to bed that particular criticism 🤣

Indeed , his next hurdle is to better next season , maybe without our star player.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Quite often I've doubted him , but a promotion in not even his first full season , then keeping us up in our first season back , you have to say that's some record. 

Unless we landed some truly world class manager we'd be the laughing stock of football to get rid of a manager that had delivered promotion and survival in 2 seasons. 

Â