Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed

Interesting, How Micah Richards hinted at him being too nice....something I suspected for some time.

but hey! if it works, fine......if it don't change it.

That was a much better Villa Team tonight and I mean team.....hope we can complete the job now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Tonight feels really wierd, I've been adamant we were going down for 4/5 weeks now, accepted even. 1 game and it's suddenly back in our own hands. 

Absolutely remarkable. 

its the hope..........

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

What an amazing 2 years it would be if he could keep us up. Got to say, it's never a dull moment with him in charge. He really sparked my love for Villa back to life.

Exactly the same sir.

• Like 1

It's refreshing to see a Villa manager actually think about how to set the team up and change in-game.

How many times have we said over the years "we tactically outclassed the opposition" ?? Not many...

The positioning of Douglas Luiz first half as a shield behind the midfield 4 to sit on their player dropping deep and/or mop up mistakes or loose balls, the moving of McGinn 2nd half to press their centrebacks, the way you can see they worked on how to deny Arsenal space - happy to let them have it on halfway, just concentrating on not getting dragged out of position... all things alien to us over the years...

Deserves credit for the performances in general since the restart, and for the work done on changing the defensive set up in the season break.

Im happy we stuck with him, and if the worst happens then I think we'll absolutely piss the Championship next year 

2 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

When they were getting space down the wings in the first half he went from 433 to 4141, pulling Luiz, Trezeguet and Jack back to help the defence. 

In the second half he pushed McGinn up so the striker was less isolated.  

And at the end the team held their shape and didn't sit too deep, as we have done recently. 

Perfect analysis

5 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

It's refreshing to see a Villa manager actually think about how to set the team up and change in-game.

How many times have we said over the years "we tactically outclassed the opposition" ?? Not many...

The positioning of Douglas Luiz first half as a shield behind the midfield 4 to sit on their player dropping deep and/or mop up mistakes or loose balls, the moving of McGinn 2nd half to press their centrebacks, the way you can see they worked on how to deny Arsenal space - happy to let them have it on halfway, just concentrating on not getting dragged out of position... all things alien to us over the years...

Deserves credit for the performances in general since the restart, and for the work done on changing the defensive set up in the season break.

Im happy we stuck with him, and if the worst happens then I think we'll absolutely piss the Championship next year 

It's what I mentioned in the Wolves game Nuno tweaked by giving moutinho a free role thus giving him the space so he could dominate proceedings. 

Today is the first time I have seen us do it in a long time. I had to do a double take when he tweaked the formation. Tactics isn't always about subs. It's about reacting and changing positioning of players during the game too.

Fantastic to watch. Arsenal weren't poor we outmanoeuvred them. We out thought them. We outfought them . Dougie put a strong challenge on one of them and they backed off us. Still had dangerous moments but that tackle took something from the soul of arsenal. 

If we can play like this and He keeps making necessary adjustments to improve our performances then he may win me around.

Sunday is a big day. I sincerely hope this isn't a false dawn.

• Like 2

We’ve been far better since the restart - only losing narrowly to clubs in the top 6. Promising signs if we can survive - we seemed to have figured out how to compete in games regularly. 
Let’s finish the job Dean! 

If we stay up I think we spend another £150m but on around 5 players not 10+. And then I think we can really compete.

Not going to ruin my night thinking about if we go down - after 7 points from 9 it’s nice to think positively. 

• Like 1

If he pulls this off, it might almost be as good as last season's run. Last Sunday we were 7 points from safety and 5/6 down in terms of GD. Today we're outside the relegation zone with a superior goal difference. Incredible really. To go from how dejected I was when West Ham and Watford won last Saturday to how elated I am now is amazing.

From the Watford forum:

image.thumb.png.84a0845342319df53bfb024221f58ff4.png

For once we have stability. I hope this continues until we reach the point where Dean has reached his limitations and can't push us forward anymore. Done with chopping and changing managers. Left that at the door with Lerner.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Today is the first time I have seen us do it in a long time. I had to do a double take when he tweaked the formation. Tactics isn't always about subs. It's about reacting and changing positioning of players during the game too.

Smith has been helped tactically by the return of McGinn and the continued improvement of Douglas Luiz. You need intelligent players on the pitch to execute plans.

He also seems to have finally worked out how to integrate Hourihane into the team without sacrificing anything in open play. That’s massive, as it makes us a genuine set piece threat from anywhere in the final third.

The build up patterns from defence look slick now as well. Nothing too risky, but it all looks well drilled, whether it’s the flick on header from the touch line, or a midfielder dropping in to receive it short.

A bit more pace and finishing ability in the front 3 and this would be a dangerous mid-table team. A tough season and still a very, very realistic chance of relegation, but I think Smith has earnt the right to keep developing his ideas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Smith has been helped tactically by the return of McGinn and the continued improvement of Douglas Luiz. You need intelligent players on the pitch to execute plans.

He also seems to have finally worked out how to integrate Hourihane into the team without sacrificing anything in open play. That’s massive, as it makes us a genuine set piece threat from anywhere in the final third.

The build up patterns from defence look slick now as well. Nothing too risky, but it all looks well drilled, whether it’s the flick on header from the touch line, or a midfielder dropping in to receive it short.

A bit more pace and finishing ability in the front 3 and this would be a dangerous mid-table team. A tough season and still a very, very realistic chance of relegation, but I think Smith has earnt the right to keep developing his ideas.

I want to see us get this squad to the point where can get us looking like how we did in the Championship. That's the dream. Performances like Blackburn 2019 against PL opposition. Hope I live to see something like that.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

From the Watford forum:

image.thumb.png.84a0845342319df53bfb024221f58ff4.png

For once we have stability. I hope this continues until we reach the point where Dean has reached his limitations and can't push us forward anymore. Done with chopping and changing managers. Left that at the door with Lerner.

Fully agree. Also love that you're using a browser from 1997.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, TRO said:

He has to take credit for tonight, but we need more of it.

This - one more game will do for now and in the break we need to address where we went wrong - staying up may well earn smith another chance but the recruitment needs sorting and improving - Suso I feel will be first out the door .

however if the owners do decide to upgrade manager they will be able to attract much better candidates if in the premier league . 
let’s get the win at West Ham and then see where we go from there ,  smith has finally found his best team and we look to all be putting in the effort - one more game lads 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I wondered who of his critics would be the first to say this. My money was on someone else.

It was there all along, he purposely left it until the final 4 games to show it just to raise our blood pressures.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

It was there all along, he purposely left it until the final 4 games to show it just to raise our blood pressures.

Haha he's just such a shit manager, he had no idea how to turn Trezeguet into a world class finisher until now. 

Smith out.

• Like 1

Â