Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, VillaChris said:

Mad to think we still had 3 subs left at 1-0 up.

I'd love to know what goes through his head at times at critical moments in the second half.

We've seen countless times at VP when away teams are winning 1-0 and their keepers are taking half an hour to take a goal kick and they're making a sub every minute to slow the game down.

As soon as Calvert Lewin missed Nakamba and Gulibert should've been on surely? 60 seconds later it was 1-1 and we've nearly run out of games now.

He'll never be an established prem manager for us or anywhere else until he learns the art of closing a tight game out with substitutions and time managing/wasting.

You are so right. Why did we not kill that game with subs? Or just bring Nakamba on to help defend.

• Like 1

He has to take criticism considering so many goals in last 15 minutes.

Also why do we stop playing when we score? Its incredible how many times this has happened this year. He made us wimps

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd love to know what goes through his head at times at critical moments in the second half.

We've seen countless times at VP when away teams are winning 1-0 and their keepers are taking half an hour to take a goal kick and they're making a sub every minute to slow the game down.

As soon as Calvert Lewin missed Nakamba and Gulibert should've been on surely? 60 seconds later it was 1-1 and we've nearly run out of games now.

He'll never be an established prem manager for us or anywhere else until he learns the art of closing a tight game out with substitutions and time managing/wasting.

That is a good point we could of used subs to kill the time in injury time lol.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Also why do we stop playing when we score? Its incredible how many times this has happened this year. He made us wimps

I mean that's obviously not true, we were pushing after our goal and should have scored another but for a perplexing miss by El Ghazi.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

You see I couldn't think of anything worse - two error prone players.

We have to look at the whole season - not just tonight. Not good enough.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

So true that, everytime our players must seem to think they can relax, dont they know they shouldn't relax till the whistle blooms for full time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Players looked terrified after we scored.

Crawled back into their usual shell. The goal against was inevitable how the last 15 minutes turned out.

Smith just stood there watching. His in game management is truly atrocious and the team mirror him.

Yep. We've got a poor squad and Smith certainly isn't entirely to blame there are clearly serious issues with him, not least the way we just completely downed tools for a hefty chunk of the season.

I really do fear though that the board will stick with him now.

Just now, hippo said:

You see I couldn't think of anything worse - two error prone players.

We have to look at the whole season - not just tonight. Not good enough.

Oh I'm with you on Nakamba but ultimately he's a defensive midfielder so you'd think it would be fairly logical to bring one on in a game you're winning 1-0 and need to see out for five more minutes? Take off Hourihane for him.

Would've moved AEM to right midfield putting Gulibert on to try to stop Everton getting crosses in.

Top end manager simply don't sit on their hand and cross their fingers in games they're winning, they make subs even if it's just to kill time. So frustrating.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

So true that, everytime our players must seem to think they can relax, dont they know they shouldn't relax till the whistle blooms for full time.

Thats the management side for me. We can say its the players but thats the manager comes in. Why not bring on a sub to rely the lressur eoff them? Waste abit of time?

Its just incredible the same shit happening week after week

Just now, VillaChris said:

Oh I'm with you on Nakamba but ultimately he's a defensive midfielder so you'd think it would be fairly logical to bring one on in a game you're winning 1-0 and need to see out for five more minutes? Take off Hourihane for him.

Would've moved AEM to right midfield putting Gulibert on to try to stop Everton getting crosses in.

Top end manager simply don't sit on their hand and cross their fingers in games they're winning, they make subs even if it's just to kill time. So frustrating.

Everyone on here would do something different.

Its the very fine margins at this level. Lets not forget we got away with some slack defending a few minutes earlier presenting Everton with a guilt edged chance. 

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Unlucky today.

Nope.

It's not unlucky when players turn passive and are allowing them into our half.

The goal against was inevitable. We've seen the same scenario so many times this season. Nothing to do with bad luck.

Edited by villalad21

Also bear in mind that even though we've played well against both Palace and Everton, you know we're always liable to go on an unacceptably long stretch where we barely even try under Smith. I simply can't accept that.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No drive in this team. We pass the ball well until we are in the final 3rd then slow to a crawl, back pass or sideways until we lose possession. I’m sick of it. 
No technical fouls or even putting the ball into the corner to run down the clock. It’s a complete mess every game and clearly lacking a leader on the pitch. If DS wasn’t a villa fan etc he wouldn’t still be here.

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I just always feel Dean us a bit naive, always too slow with the subs and sometimes we are punished. Even today we were being overrun before the goal and there is no reaction.

Right or wrong he trusts the team that got us to 1-0 and were battling hard. We've all seen Jota attempt to run, Nakamba dawdle on the ball and Lansbury give away cheap fouls. I want to be angry at Smith for not using subs, I really do, but given the options on the bench I cannot bring myself to blame him.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 1

Â