Site Downtime ×
Demitri_C

Dean Smith

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. I'm not sure many of our players gets into either of those teams. 

I think we've had some really good moments but everyone can say the same, even norwich to some extent. We're not different. 

I just don't really get how people think we should be better than so many other teams. Of course there is a possibility but to say it should happen is creating an expectation based on very little.

3 teams have to go down and I think fans from every team bar Norwich, could expect to be ahead of us. Not sure why some think we are special. 

Fair enough although have to agree to disagree on that one. What you’re saying is valid, with a touch of hyperbole, although I would say judging how we are doing on other teams points massively lacks context and is obviously susceptible to uncountable factors outside of our control. 

For me, from watching all the games, there’s been quite a few times this seasons where poor management decisions have cost us vital points which would now have us safe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

Fair enough although have to agree to disagree on that one. What you’re saying is valid, with a touch of hyperbole, although I would say judging how we are doing on other teams points massively lacks context and is obviously susceptible to uncountable factors outside of our control. 

For me, from watching all the games, there’s been quite a few times this seasons where poor management decisions have cost us vital points which would now have us safe.

I agree to some extent, but then likewise there are moments that have got us points. The fighting spirit to get last minute wins against watford and Brighton. And how many fans would have started trezeguet today for example? 

I think it balances it out and we are where we are. I just see nothing that makes us any different from any team down there. 

Final bit of credibility gone for me in his after match interview. Tried to claim that VAR was right to rule out the Palace goal and wrong to overhaul the Grealish penalty. Wongy wongy Dean. Have a word with yourself! The Palace goal was never handball and goodness knows what Jack was thinking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Final bit of credibility gone for me in his after match interview. Tried to claim that VAR was right to rule out the Palace goal and wrong to overhaul the Grealish penalty. Wongy wongy Dean. Have a word with yourself! The Palace goal was never handball and goodness knows what Jack was thinking.

Thanks for being scrupulously fair! What would you have him say??? “Palace woz robbed!!!” 

By the letter of the law it was handball, whether it was a ‘clear and obvious error’ is another matter. 
Jack had no shot on, felt contact and went down - not a penalty

I understand a win doesn’t fit the narrative but you need to look less desperate to conjure up criticisms

9 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Yes the Grealish penalty wasnt a penalty but at the same time the Palace goal was handball.  If Mings gives a penalty against Arsenal for the same part of the body then surely Palace goal is ruled out for handball.  They are exactly same part, i'd even argue that Mings was further up the arm/shoulder.

9 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

A manager with a fresh and convincing win under his belt gets my support not my criticism. Good job dean Smith. More please.

Agreed i still think smith should leave end of season as our forms not been good enough but i will lay off him for now as that was a lot better.

If and its a big if he somehow keeps us up he does not deserve the sack and should be kept on. However suso goes no matter what 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yes the Grealish penalty wasnt a penalty but at the same time the Palace goal was handball.  If Mings gives a penalty against Arsenal for the same part of the body then surely Palace goal is ruled out for handball.  They are exactly same part, i'd even argue that Mings was further up the arm/shoulder.

Even Grealish had the balls to say that the Palace goal was not handball. 

9 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Even Grealish had the balls to say that the Palace goal was not handball. 

“Had the balls?” What on earth are you on about! I’ve never heard so many ridiculous reasons to hate on Smith. 

• Like 1

Leicester fans want Rodgers out.

If we stay up and he becomes available board shouldn't think twice.

10 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Dean is right and you are wrong. Dean has precedent to base his comments on, in both circumstances. Let’s start with the Grealish penalty; there was contact, not enough to warrant the swan dive that Grealish produced, but there was a contact of feet for which the referee awarded a penalty. It was no more a clear & obvious mistake than the Fernandes penalty awarded against us 3 nights ago, which didn’t get overruled. So Dean Smith can legitimately argue that was a  decision that shouldn’t have been overturned, with PRECEDENT as evidence. 
Now let’s talk about the disallowed Palace goal for handball; let me remind you of our last game before lockdown, away at Leicester: a penalty was awarded against Tyrone Mings for handball, when he cleared a cross with his shoulder. VAR looked at it, replays showed that it was his shoulder, the penalty decision stood. The Palace “goal” yesterday was scored via almost  exactly the same part of the shoulder. So once again Dean Smith has credible precedent to back up his comments. Dean Smith was correct with the comments he made, he is fighting Aston Villa’s corner in the face of some pretty poor decisions being made against the team. Every Villa fan should give him their support for doing so. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Obviously agree with the second part. 

In regards to the bit in bold, are they **** mad? Leicester, despite what they think, are still punching way above their weight. A new manager might come in and do really good. But a new manager may come in and be absolutely horrendous. They have a very good manager, it's beyond me why they would want a change.

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Dean is right and you are wrong. Dean has precedent to base his comments on, in both circumstances. Let’s start with the Grealish penalty; there was contact, not enough to warrant the swan dive that Grealish produced, but there was a contact of feet for which the referee awarded a penalty. It was no more a clear & obvious mistake than the Fernandes penalty awarded against us 3 nights ago, which didn’t get overruled. So Dean Smith can legitimately argue that was a  decision that shouldn’t have been overturned, with PRECEDENT as evidence. 
Now let’s talk about the disallowed Palace goal for handball; let me remind you of our last game before lockdown, away at Leicester: a penalty was awarded against Tyrone Mings for handball, when he cleared a cross with his shoulder. VAR looked at it, replays showed that it was his shoulder, the penalty decision stood. The Palace “goal” yesterday was scored via almost  exactly the same part of the shoulder. So once again Dean Smith has credible precedent to back up his comments. Dean Smith was correct with the comments he made, he is fighting Aston Villa’s corner in the face of some pretty poor decisions being made against the team. Every Villa fan should give him their support for doing so. 

Absolutely right with all of this. Good post

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Obviously agree with the second part. 

In regards to the bit in bold, are they **** mad? Leicester, despite what they think, are still punching way above their weight. A new manager might come in and do really good. But a new manager may come in and be absolutely horrendous. They have a very good manager, it's beyond me why they would want a change.

I think its the MON like slump they are pissed about. They were 2nd at Christmas and considered Liverpool only challenger but have had a pretty poor run of form since 

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

In regards to the bit in bold, are they **** mad?

Winning the league changed the fans mentality and expectations. That much is clear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I think its the MON like slump they are pissed about. They were 2nd at Christmas and considered Liverpool only challenger but have had a pretty poor run of form since 

Still though, at Christmas they were way, way above where they should be. Now, they are only way above it. Can't believe how much a bit of success has gone to their heads.

51 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Nope he flatters to deceive as I told my Leicester mates at the beginning of the season.  Always fades out.

Liverpool got worse each season after a season fuelled by Suarez.

Celtic dominate and win everything while Rangers were not on. the scene.  Celtic also got worse as Rodgers signings replaced older team players.

He would have been perfect to bring in at the beginning of the restart though to give us a quick boost. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Still though, at Christmas they were way, way above where they should be. Now, they are only way above it. Can't believe how much a bit of success has gone to their heads.

I studied and lived for a while in Leicester and yes their expectations and how the view themselves has gone to their heads

but there are a couple of buts.  Firstly they are still paranoid about Villa.  Have to put Villa down anytime they can.  They mention 1982 to me more than any Villa fan saying we are always going on about it.  Pretty funny.

Secondly they are not the club they were before winning the League.  Look at their signings.  Our record signing is around 24/25 million, they ar elooking this summer at a 50 million striker to partner Vardy.  Signed other 30/40 million players.  Fairly New Stadium which they are rightly proud of (Had a dinner function their once with friends never seen a match their though).  A brand new state of art Training facility is being built or has just been finished.  They are setup for success and are setup really how Villa should have kicked on mid 90s with Little/Gregory bringing top 6/7 stability.

With the money being spent etc they rightly expect Rodgers to back up all his guff on how wonderful he is and take them into the top 4.

Wolves are moving in the same direction.

I think we have the owners and admin in place to move back up and challenge but there might be setbacks like this season on the way. 

13 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Nope he flatters to deceive as I told my Leicester mates at the beginning of the season.  Always fades out.

Liverpool got worse each season after a season fuelled by Suarez.

Celtic dominate and win everything while Rangers were not on. the scene.  Celtic also got worse as Rodgers signings replaced older team players.

He would have been perfect to bring in at the beginning of the restart though to give us a quick boost. 

You know, I think you’re onto something with this. Rodgers is someone that I’ve waxed lyrical about previously, and wanted us to get as Potato Heads replacement. But now I’m not so sure. Rodgers does seem to buy into his own hype, and that seems to be the starting point for his clubs slide. 
Given where Villa currently are (lots of changes in the background to youth football, likely heading back down a league etc) I’m more than content to get behind Dean Smith and allow him the time to oversee the big changes going on, I’d much rather the manager was a man with Villa in his blood and our very best interests at heart. To make yet another change, another step into the unknown, would just seem like another step backwards and another 2yrs wasted. 

Â