Dean Smith

Demitri_C

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd not have countenanced the idea of Taylor starting unless there was no other option, but he'd done well since stepping in. He keeps his place, for me.

He has been solid. Nothing wrong with him starting.

45 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Got to start Targett over Taylor if he's available. 

That one cross that Targett put in today which either of Trez or Davis should have scored is my reasoning for that. Taylor simply isn't capable of it.

Ideally we'd have a hybrid of the two. Then either one to come and sure up the defence (Taylor) or provide attacking impetus (Target) depending on the situation.

Smith did well today. One good thing about this restart is the fact without crowds one can hear everything. I loved it when he cussed Atkinson lol.

As someone has already said the team is definitely capable of more. We are no worst than hardly any of the bottom half of the table. It seems when the team play well and we can see it, we win, today was a example. We ain't got the worse players in the Premier League. I won't say nothing about Smith today as we got the win, but pressures on.

He did well today after the warm up obviously. And he made the right change in nakamba. Personally I would like to have bought Vassilev on as Palace struggle with movement. Other than that after the warm up Smith did well. He made tactical adjustments during the game too such as pushing mcginn in between the lines and not allowing Jack to drop deep. Forcing us to play through Luiz is good. I could hear Smith saying just give it to Doug. 

A lot more effort shown today but tbh it did help that Palace wernt up for it at all. I also think Hause getting injured may have been a blessing in disguise. Elmo is much more of a threat on the right than Konsa. 

The disallowed goal was also a bit of luck. About time a decision went our way!

Can we do the same against Everton. I doubt it. But you never know..

If i saw more performances like today then i wouldnt want him out even if we went down as i could see progress. Problem is we see these kind of performances so rarely its hard not to want him out

• Like 1

I liked that we didn’t deviate from the game plan after either goal. In previous games after taking the lead we’ve sat back, offered the opposition onto us and been punished.

Edited by Genie

46 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

No one has claimed that we're capable of so much more. However with more desire the vast majority of Villains rightfully expected to be 4 /5 points better off.

Isn't that the same thing?

I still don't see why we should have all these points and other teams shouldn't. What's special about us to expect that?

Just now, Demitri_C said:

If i saw more performances like today then i wouldnt want him out even if we went down as i could see progress. Problem is we see these kind of performances so rarely its hard not to want him out

in fairness I think the first half was very similar to others. People on the match thread were very critical and getting ready to moan at HT. 

The goal changed everything. I think the same would have happened if davis scores against sheff u and samatta scores against newcastle. 

We just haven't seen that quality to take a chance and give everyone a boost. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Isn't that the same thing?

I still don't see why we should have all these points and other teams shouldn't. What's special about us to expect that?

You think 4 points is SO much more? Ok. We'll leave it at that.

23 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

You think 4 points is SO much more? Ok. We'll leave it at that.

4 pts is huge down there. We average less than a point a game. 

Again, what's it based on. 4/5 more points would see us 15th. How can anyone look at our squad and injuries and think we should be higher than 5 other teams. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Again, what's it based on. 4/5 more points would see us 15th. How can anyone look at our squad and injuries and think we should be higher than 5 other teams. 

Ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

What's special about us to expect that?

We’ve got Dean Smith...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Seems such a strange dissociative way to look at things. If we were basing things purely on squad I’d argue Burnley and Sheffield United would be below us.

We’ve looked really good for periods, especially in the first half of games in the beginning of the season. Problems seemed to set in when the opposition made changes and we just don’t react and ended up going behind.

Obviously once that happened a few times confidence dropped and we started trying to set up not to lose games and we’ve looked progressively disjointed since then.

• Like 1

Just now, penguin said:

Seems such a strange dissociative way to look at things. If we were basing things purely on squad I’d argue Burnley and Sheffield United would be below us.

We’ve looked really good for periods, especially in the first half of games in the beginning of the season. Problems seemed to set in when the opposition made changes and we just don’t react and ended up going behind.

Obviously once that happened a few times confidence dropped and we started trying to set up not to lose games and we’ve looked progressively disjointed since then.

I disagree. I'm not sure many of our players gets into either of those teams. 

I think we've had some really good moments but everyone can say the same, even norwich to some extent. We're not different. 

I just don't really get how people think we should be better than so many other teams. Of course there is a possibility but to say it should happen is creating an expectation based on very little.

3 teams have to go down and I think fans from every team bar Norwich, could expect to be ahead of us. Not sure why some think we are special. 

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. I'm not sure many of our players gets into either of those teams. 

I think we've had some really good moments but everyone can say the same, even norwich to some extent. We're not different. 

I just don't really get how people think we should be better than so many other teams. Of course there is a possibility but to say it should happen is creating an expectation based on very little.

3 teams have to go down and I think fans from every team bar Norwich, could expect to be ahead of us. Not sure why some think we are special. 

Fair enough although have to agree to disagree on that one. What you’re saying is valid, with a touch of hyperbole, although I would say judging how we are doing on other teams points massively lacks context and is obviously susceptible to uncountable factors outside of our control. 

For me, from watching all the games, there’s been quite a few times this seasons where poor management decisions have cost us vital points which would now have us safe.

• Like 1

Â