Dean Smith

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The bizarre decision to give smith a 5 year deal is going to look very bad 10 games into next season.

Difficult to understand. Either they thought Smith was going to really kick on or it was some kind of gentleman’s agreement as a reward for promotion.

An odd decision then, and looks even odder now

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The bizarre decision to give smith a 5 year deal is going to look very bad 10 games into next season.

I really wish someone at the club explains that, it won’t happen but it has bewildered everybody.

Could it be Smith the die hard Villa fan gave the club an ultimatum unless they gave him a long new deal? 

34 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Bloody hell, we never learn. Up there with giving Lambert and Gabby 4 and 5 year deals after starting the season well 4 games in. Oh and Shays 5 year deal at 35. Should have said we'll look at it at the end of the season, being cruel.. hes a villa fan, its the best job he could ever get. 4 year/5 deals have no upside for the Club. 

Edited by villanmac

44 minutes ago, villa89 said:

if Smith is here come the start of next season  , i will be very concerned  about the ability of the people making the football decisions,  and for the future of our club.  

2 minutes ago, Villa94 said:

He has to go simple as......yes he might have not been behind every signing but the chopping and changing as well as playing players out of position is ridiculous  

Can’t agree! 

He couldn’t win with this one - if he hadn’t tried changes you’d have been saying “why does he just do the same thing week in week out when it’s clearly not working”

We have a crap squad which is overwhelmingly the issue

• Like 1

Dyche build Burnley to what it is today from rags. 

It's isn't a valid comparison. Completely different run clubs. Apples and Oranges.

If Smith was given the Burnley job all those years ago they wouldn't be a PL club today. Not a chance.

Edited by villalad21

I’ve said this before, but my brother in law is a Brentford supporter and I saw him this week (first time in months!). We were chatting about Smith and he said that there’s a massive difference at Brentford now in that their Head Coach Thomas Frank has a fantastic eye for detail and changes things quickly when necessary in games, whereas Smith rarely made changes other than the predictable ones. 

Having said that, he’s got a lot of time for Smith, as have most Brentford supporters, because he kept them ticking over and playing decent football, but he doesn’t believe Smith would have taken them to where they are now because he didn’t address defensive frailties nor did he react quickly enough to change the course of games. 

Most interestingly, he said that Thomas Frank’s tactical influence, even when he was the assistant coach, was crucial and he’s amazed Smith didn’t take Frank with him to Villa instead of agreeing to have John Terry in that role. Oh, and he also said that Richard O’Kelly is just Smith’s chauffeur!! lol

• Like 2

On the Dyche comparison, the core of that is a club allowing their manager to develop by giving them time. Whatever Smith's faults this season, he is proven in the championship and the thought of a complete clear out just doesn't add up if we want a shot of promotion next season - also I don't think NSWE work like that, the 5 year contract says that at least. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TimTort said:

I’ve said this before, but my brother in law is a Brentford supporter and I saw him this week (first time in months!). We were chatting about Smith and he said that there’s a massive difference at Brentford now in that their Head Coach Thomas Frank has a fantastic eye for detail and changes things quickly when necessary in games, whereas Smith rarely made changes other than the predictable ones. 

Having said that, he’s got a lot of time for Smith, as have most Brentford supporters, because he kept them ticking over and playing decent football, but he doesn’t believe Smith would have taken them to where they are now because he didn’t address defensive frailties nor did he react quickly enough to change the course of games. 

Most interestingly, he said that Thomas Frank’s tactical influence, even when he was the assistant coach, was crucial and he’s amazed Smith didn’t take Frank with him to Villa instead of agreeing to have John Terry in that role. Oh, and he also said that Richard O’Kelly is just Smith’s chauffeur!! lol

Interesting.

It's the lack of attention to detail that's been bothering me the most. It's been the same with most of our managers for a long time.

There are so many examples but the most blatant one is that we for as long as I can remember never been able to take a throw in without all our players standing completely still and not showing for the ball. That's super basic stuff and takes 1 session to implement but we don't do that. And that's not even an important part of the game, but it still should be done.

I don't know how our practices are done, but if those lack attention to detail then it's petty obvious that the games will too. And we look sloppy.

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

On the Dyche comparison, the core of that is a club allowing their manager to develop by giving them time. Whatever Smith's faults this season, he is proven in the championship and the thought of a complete clear out just doesn't add up if we want a shot of promotion next season - also I don't think NSWE work like that, the 5 year contract says that at least. 

He isn't that proven.

Finished 5th once with one of the best squads in the league. Rest mid table finishes.

He won't have the luxury in having Jack Grealish and Tammy Abraham next season. So if Smith stays even finishing in the top 6 isn't looking very likely to me.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TimTort said:

Interesting and some of it's where I stand.I watched a Brentford game recently and continually in the commentary they mentioned how much better Brentford are at the back now and that was why they have been able to push for promotion.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Interesting.

It's the lack of attention to detail that's been bothering me the most. It's been the same with most of our managers for a long time.

There are so many examples but the most blatant one is that we for as long as I can remember never been able to take a throw in without all our players standing completely still and not showing for the ball. That's super basic stuff and takes 1 session to implement but we don't do that. And that's not even an important part of the game, but it still should be done.

I don't know how our practices are done, but if those lack attention to detail then it's petty obvious that the games will too. And we look sloppy.

Throw-ins are a shambles , we take ages oever them and give the ball away alot of the time , as you say its basic stuff.

Lack of change's is another so many times a player has been struggling or us as a team and he does nothing , the opposition score and then we change. Bournmouth away down to 10 he keeps 3 cbs on pitch when we need a goal ..

It seems a few think we are going to have to have a clear out of the "crap players" if we keep Smith. Well i'm here to disappoint, Smith was brought in for his coaching abilities to make players we could afford better, an into a team. We are never going to go out and buy a team of £50 million pound players so Smith can look good from day one, it don't work that way. Smith has failed and we are going to need someone who can coach/manage the players correctly and get this team (who is left) motivated for the new season, because time and time again Smith is proving he ain't up to it. How the hell can you go into the Championship with a manager who has performed so badly.

Us fans really don't want to start hating on the man, but if we consonantly keep losing without a battle as we have, it'll get very close. Crystal Palace will be interesting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

Another thing that concerns me about Smith is that he still doesn’t know where to play Jack or how to get the best out of him. 

I think this is more to do with I think he wishes he has about 5 jack's to play in numerous positions rather than 1 jack and the rest shite.

There can't be a complaint that it was jack and jack only that got us up, but then Smith doesn't know how to get the best out of him. That's not fair. 

Can't keep battering Smith from all angles because eventually they start contradicting one another.

• Like 2

Â