Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

As for the debate here the other day about Frank Lampard, is he really doing a better job than Dean Smith. 

Chelsea have conceded more goals, win less games and lost 4 more games than last season and cant reach the same points total as last season but apparently some on here think he is doing a great job

Nope. I think Lampard is doing as bad as smoth. I always sais lamps is a poor manager.  Derby fans couldnt believe their luck when chelsea came in.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Nope. I think Lampard is doing as bad as smoth. I always sais lamps is a poor manager.  Derby fans couldnt believe their luck when chelsea came in.

Fully agree.

There are big flaws in his teams play style.

• Like 1

To an extent. At what point do you have to consider a lack of professionalism from the players. I point to mings and Grealish in the last game. I blame Smith to an extent, I blame the players to an extent, to blame 1 and not the other is going to result in more of the same next year.

Dean isn't a strong enough leader.

Sound very defeatist in his recent interviews.

"We don't have to play Liverpool and Manchester United every week" I mean.. Jesus Christ. You just don't say that.

Sends out the wrong message to the team. That getting a unexpected result is an impossible task. It isn't. Blades beat Chelsea 3-0 and got inferior players to them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah, no. They're currently 3rd place. Yes they've played a game more but they could very well finish 3rd by season's end still. And they've done it despite spending vastly less than their rivals, both in terms of spend and net spend. There is no way you look at that and you think he's been doing just as bad as Smith, regardless of your opinion of Lampard as a manager in general. Like, I'm not exactly sure what more did you reasonably expect Chelsea to do this season considering their circumstances and how seemingly untouchable the top 2 are.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes we should have some players in with Premier League experience. 

Drinkwater? It’s rare anyone competent at this level would’ve been available. It’s usually cast offs or have beens - or in Drinkwater’s case .. both. 

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Dean isn't a strong enough leader.

Sound very defeatist in his recent interviews.

"We don't have to play Liverpool and Manchester United every week" I mean.. Jesus Christ. You just don't say that.

Sends out the wrong message to the team. That getting a unexpected result is an impossible task. It isn't. Blades beat Chelsea 3-0 and got inferior players to them.

This brings back great memories of when Ron Saunders did interviews when playing the "big" teams, he used to pretend he had not heard of half their players. There was a leader. Our team were poor on paper at the time I believe not one International player. They wouldn't get away with what Dean puts up with. 

Edited by Robtaylor200

On 10/07/2020 at 15:46, TRO said:

I think win ratio's are expected to encapsulate all aspects of a managers job in one piece of criteria....as close is as possible.

If you are in the higher league, you are expected to have better players commensurate with that league......its harder to win with less talented players, but the likelyhood then is, you would be in a lower league, so it negates that argument......if you go in to a higher league and buy worse players, then thats your own fault and it get reflected in results.

Personally, while nothing is fool proof in evaluating managers, I think Win Ratio's is pretty good.

Yeah I agree with everything you've said here but I think the win ratio is about right/expected.

Having said that, we should have more points/more wins. I heard somewhere that we have thrown away more points from winning positions than most of the teams (17 points I think). You can't afford that in the PL as a team who has just come up. If we had won those games where we were leading I think the Dean's win ratio would be a lot higher than expected (at least higher than my expectations). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No i don't.

I'm a big believer in teams mirroring their coach.

Smith’s own words “my teams mirror me” 

Says all we need to know, and why he must go.

30 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

To an extent. At what point do you have to consider a lack of professionalism from the players. I point to mings and Grealish in the last game. I blame Smith to an extent, I blame the players to an extent, to blame 1 and not the other is going to result in more of the same next year.

Who’s job is it to instill that professionalism? As for the last game he admitted to throwing in the towel. How are the players supposed to respect him after that? 

Â