Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I said he is never proactive with his subs. How many games have we seen an issue an think Dean will change it, and we wait, and wait. The opposition scores and then he makes changes too late. Those mistakes have cost us points.

Every other club down there have showed some grit and got unexpected points this season bar us. Do we have the worst squad in the league.

He has no credible changes to make, because the players on the bench are much the same, but worse.....the changes end up as token gestures......the players all know this and the belief has evaporated.

sadly, its a poorly constructed squad of too many players, very similar and all lacking the grit for the scrap.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s exactly what I mean!

Frank was fuming, to the point of saying, "i will remember this"......that is fighting talk....some of them players are finished with Frank.

conversely.....

Sheff Utd was still pushing hard in injury time when they was 3-0 up......thats the spirit that has largely got them to challenging for Europe......their attitude reminds me of Villa under Saunders.

that is what is required.

at Villa.....

you cannot keep defending your players, (unless its not them).....that is tantamount to condoning the performances and results.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, Rolta said:

Oh I see your angle is being a deliberate idiot.

Obviously humour is wasted on you. 🤦🏽‍♂️

P.S please refrain from calling me an idiot thanks.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

It’s evident that we all opposing views in terms of manager quality.

FAO Smith In fans 

Out of curiosity.. what qualities have you seen from Dean Smith that gives you confidence moving forward?

This is coming from a footballing perspective alone I.e tactics, game management, cohesion, playing style ect.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Stop it....stop the nonsense......his sheff utd team has been like this since he first took over.....they were like this in Div1.....they have been like this through the journey, to tje Prem.

He has instilled an attitude in this group and any players who come in soon adopt the attitude.....it was the same under Saunders, thats why every player, he signed got better with us.....some of us have seen it, first hand at Villa, its nothing new.

Had Dean instilled anything close to the attitude Chris has nurtured, we would not be going down.

One and done. 

I love the way so many people compare us to Sheffield United and how they’ve performed this season as a way to highlight how we’re underachieving and should be doing so much better

Sheffield United are a better team than us. They have better players. Just because they’re not fancy foreign signings or international superstars, doesn’t mean they aren’t better players. 

They were better than us last season and they’re better than us this season. We finished 5th, and we spent 140m only to make us a weaker team. 

We have no right to be anywhere near them in the league given the players we’ve signed. We fully deserve to get relegated because we’re a very poor team with no identity and no defining qualities. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I love the way so many people compare us to Sheffield United and how they’ve performed this season as a way to highlight how we’re underachieving and should be doing so much better

Sheffield United are a better team than us. They have better players. Just because they’re not fancy foreign signings or international superstars, doesn’t mean they aren’t better players. 

They were better than us last season and they’re better than us this season. We finished 5th, and we spent 140m only to make us a weaker team. 

We have no right to be anywhere near them in the league given the players we’ve signed. We fully deserve to get relegated because we’re a very poor team with no identity and no defining qualities. 

They finished 13 points ahead of us last season now they are 27 points ahead of us. Net spend of £44 mil. Last seasons net spend -£5 mil. They shouldn't have better players.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I see you have now resorted to it being Purslows fault instead of Dean's too. 

No. I said the it was Purslow who set the policy that we would no longer use loan players

It is also Purslow I suspect who favoured  ‘projects’ over experience.

Purslow and Suso carry the blame for a sizeable proportion of the recruitment which has been by far our biggest problem. I am not privy to how much blame Smith carries for this - if he was central to it then it is right he will be sacked. I don’t think that will happen. We will see

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

They finished 13 points ahead of us last season now they are 27 points ahead of us. Net spend of £44 mil. Last seasons net spend -£5 mil. They shouldn't have better players.  

Totally agreed. They shouldn’t have better players, but they do. That’s our fault.

• Like 1

Lambert got the most out of a crap squad at Norwich and did amazingly well. Smith built an incredible team at Brentford out of virtually nothing. Bruce (notwithstanding the fact everyone seems to quite unfairly hate him) has done great things at clubs with virtually no resources.

There’s just something about the Villa model that doesn’t work. We have too much money and too high expectations for managers like them to have success here. The only option I think for us is to hire a world class manager and throw cash at everything. Problem with that is what world class manager would want to be at Villa? Until that person is available and wants to join the Villa shitshow, stick with Smith

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They don’t, but they are a better team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Lambert got the most out of a crap squad at Norwich and did amazingly well. Smith built an incredible team at Brentford out of virtually nothing. Bruce (notwithstanding the fact everyone seems to quite unfairly hate him) has done great things at clubs with virtually no resources.

There’s just something about the Villa model that doesn’t work. We have too much money and too high expectations for managers like them to have success here. The only option I think for us is to hire a world class manager and throw cash at everything. Problem with that is what world class manager would want to be at Villa? Until that person is available and wants to join the Villa shitshow, stick with Smith

Smith didn’t build the team at Brentford

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

As much as I think Smith should have gone while we still had a chance of staying up. The Leicester away game was the time. Its too late to get rid of him. Championship maybe his level.  

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It depends what is meant by better and in what context......Chris Wilder has made them better, that is at the heart of the very point.

The highlight is with the attitude and physical endeavour, that is central to their success....Their team bar one or two was less expensive to construct than ours, but they went after certain types to fit the vision, they had......they will add quality, bit by bit, trying not to disrupt the high energy and intensity, which is the cornerstone of their philosophy.

they were not bought better players, they have been made better players....Chris Wilder is a winner and that is reflective in his overall career win ratio, despite that being mostly in the lower divisions...He has a clear view of what is required from limited talent, to make a mark.

He cannot match the big boys for talent.....so he makes up for it, with attitude, desire, will and combative spirit...everyone thought it would blow up, but its not built on sand, its built on solid values of 110% work rate........now where have i heard that before?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jim said:

They don’t, but they are a better team.

Why don't sheff utd have better players.

I keep hearing we have better players than Sheffield utd...watford...bournemouth

What are we basing this on?

• Like 2

Â