Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We should've got some season long loans in, surely you can see that? It worked for us getting promoted.

You get a couple in either as squad options or ones who can actually improve first 11. End of season they help us stay up and we sign them permanently or we don't and then with extra year of prem money re-invest in squad to hopefully improve further.

We spent over 50m this season on Wesley, Trez, Konsa, Targett. I can't believe there wasn't at least two loans available who'd be better thant that. Leicester for example signed Ryan Bennett on loan in January from Wolves who's better than Konsa (and Hause).

I definitely agree we should have tried to bring loans in that would have improved us. Maybe we did try. It would have helped. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

I agree with much of this. Purslows “no loanees” rule was what did us I feel - a couple of older heads would have made the difference

As for Smith, the nastiness on here is not warranted - when he had a competitive squad in the championship he did well (record breaking well), many of us realised that we wouldn’t be competitive in the PL

I don’t think he will be sacked, I think that we will rectify the squad problems in the close season and do well next time round

Ive never seen such ridiculous criticisms of a manager in my life. A 100 reasons from press conferences to drinks breaks have been cited as proof Smith is not up to the job. The truth is that he is an inexperienced manager with an uncompetitive squad. 

Where have you seen nastiness to Dean on here?

I see you have now resorted to it being Purslows fault instead of Dean's too. The squad are not a happy bunch, you can see from their body language, that might not be Smith's fault. Maybe they are all upset because Jack's off.

Dean doesn't know his best 11, he doesn't know how to see games out, he doesn't know how to stop losing runs, he is never proactive with his substitutions and is obviously not strong enough with the players, he is the manager not them.

You might want Dean as manager for next season, I wish him well but feel he is done here.

Let's see what the owners think.

• Like 3

Personally I'd stick with Dean Smith, and I think we will for both practical and long-term reasons. One being the massive upheaval involved, and the other the limited time between seasons. Surely JT will leave though, which seems right, given our defensive record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Where have you seen nastiness to Dean on here?

I see you have now resorted to it being Purslows fault instead of Dean's too. The squad are not a happy bunch, you can see from their body language, that might not be Smith's fault. Maybe they are all upset because Jack's off.

Dean doesn't know his best 11, he doesn't know how to see games out, he doesn't know how to stop losing runs, he is never proactive with his substitutions and is obviously not strong enough with the players, he is the manager not them.

You might want Dean as manager for next season, I wish him well but feel he is done here.

Let's see what the owners think.

Yet you've put every problem on the manager. The squad look sad...I don't think they do particularly at the start, but usually you see footballers happy when their team scores and wins, which we don't do. Also, our subs are awful. We also have few options within the squad to change things. These last things can quite well be explained as symptoms of pulling a squad together on the fly all at once.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Yet you've put every problem on the manager. The squad look sad...I don't think they do particularly at the start, but usually you see footballers happy when their team scores and wins, which we don't do. Also, our subs are awful. We also have few options within the squad to change things. These last things can quite well be explained as symptoms of pulling a squad together on the fly all at once.

I said he is never proactive with his subs. How many games have we seen an issue an think Dean will change it, and we wait, and wait. The opposition scores and then he makes changes too late. Those mistakes have cost us points.

Every other club down there have showed some grit and got unexpected points this season bar us. Do we have the worst squad in the league.

17 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Personally I'd stick with Dean Smith, and I think we will for both practical and long-term reasons. One being the massive upheaval involved, and the other the limited time between seasons. Surely JT will leave though, which seems right, given our defensive record.

I'd rather have the upheaval now than in November , should a retained Dean Smith fail to stop the rot.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

Dean Smith and his coaching staff failed on every level, training, substitutions, fitness, game management and never had a plan b. If smith stays you are saying its okay to fail and produce a season that never reached any potential at all, we could not even score in the last few games and that will win you nothing. We scraped into this division and we are going out without landing a glove on our opponents, one of the poorest seasons in recent times, you stick with smith and all you get is more off the same and a slow painful decline. Leadership has not been shown anywhere from top to bottom and we ended up where we belong.

Agreed all the way.

8 hours ago, sne said:

Could this also be down to the amount of football to watch that is available now?

30 years ago you got a game or 2 a week on the telly and whatever games you were able to watch from the stands.

Now you got unlimited amount of football almost every day from leagues all around Europe with different styles of play, different cultures in and around football. There is also tons of information , articles, videos and analyzes available for anyone interested. You can watch a replay of any game or situation whenever and wherever you are. It's all there. If you are interested it's really easy to learn and educate yourself.

When I was a kid in the 80' you had 1 television channel, 2 newspapers with maybe 2 guy writing about football and 1 guy on the radio who covered all sports pretty much. What they said was law. You then got those who had been at the game who could tell you the what's what, and that was it. There was no tactical breakdown for the most part.

No idea how it was in England in the 80's - early 90's but I imagine there wasn't much coverage of leagues outside the UK? Maybe it wasn't so much that you got older and wiser but that you got to watch more football and expanded you mind.

Its a fair point....but i don't watch as much non villa football as you allude to.....sometimes the more football you watch or information, you take in the more complicated it becomes.....as they say....."too much information"

no, I'll stick with my opinion, I have learnt more with years watching villa in the stadium.

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Blades 2-0 up against Chelsea

Wilder is phenomenal.

Just shows what you can with hard work, organization,  fight and determination.

We have lacked all of those things under Smith and it’s why he must go. 

• Like 2

I bet Smith is thanking his luck stars there are no fans in the stadium. Tomorrow could have been toxic. 

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Dean Smith’s well documented intention to try and win every game is commendable and possibly even essential. It’s how he’s gone about it that’s flawed. To try to go toe to toe with the likes of Man City will get you beaten 9/10 times. So with the quality of players we currently have available it just isn’t the right thing to do. Against those type of teams you have to make it difficult for them to play, match or exceed their effort and hope you earn a bit of luck to sneak a result. Ok you may still lose but then perhaps only 8/10 occasions. 

Against less accomplished teams that approach of matching them for effort still is essential, but as they’re not quite so good you will get more chances to hurt them. You don’t have to go hung ho and try to win games 5-4. In every game you must earn the right to play. We don’t have good enough players to dictate how the game is going to be played from the onset. Only once we get to the point where we’re buying 2 or 3 players for £140m instead of half a squad can we expect to dictate the play. Even then even the very best teams work hard and know that the hard work needs to be done before the fun begins. 

A more pragmatic approach is what we’ve tried to do after the restart, but it’s too late, we’re in the relegation zone with games rapidly running out. If we’d done this from the start of the season we may well have got that extra handful of points which would now be so valuable now. We need to know where we are in terms of development both on and off the pitch before we can go toe to toe with anyone. A more balanced pragmatic approach may not be immediately exciting, but it’s ultimately more fun than being beaten every week. 

Do you mean like Sheff utd are doing right now, denying chelsea room to play and stifiling their initiative........like Burnley did today at Liverpool.

we set our stall out, and it was too late to change.....after the lockdown the goals against was halted but the goals for dried up, we have been caught between a rock and a hard place and resulted in the confidence and desire has just drained away

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Do you mean like Sheff utd are doing right now, denying chelsea room to play and stifiling their initiative........like Burnley did today at Liverpool

That’s exactly what I mean!

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Do you mean like Sheff utd are doing right now, denying chelsea room to play and stifiling their initiative........like Burnley did today at Liverpool.

we set our stall out, and it was too late to change.....after the lockdown the goals against was halted but the goals for dried up, we have been caught between a rock and a hard place and resulted in the confidence and desire has just drained away

Shef united are well drilled in defending and can counter from there 

Our improvement in defending is down to us sitting deeper and having less attacking threat.Our full backs are deeper and one of them is a CB.

Also on Shef United they loaned in Henderson which will likely benefit Man United in the long term but it helped them short term...we were so bloody arrogant in stating we wouldnt loan as we were too big to develop other teams players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We should've got some season long loans in, surely you can see that? It worked for us getting promoted.

You get a couple in either as squad options or ones who can actually improve first 11. End of season they help us stay up and we sign them permanently or we don't and then with extra year of prem money re-invest in squad to hopefully improve further.

We spent over 50m this season on Wesley, Trez, Konsa, Targett. I can't believe there wasn't at least two loans available who'd be better thant that. Leicester for example signed Ryan Bennett on loan in January from Wolves who's better than Konsa (and Hause).

Yes we should have some players in with Premier League experience. 

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes Wilder and Smith are worlds apart. 

• Like 2

Â