Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And it's Smith's job to get them to perform every week.

Well we are just going round in circles.

Yes I know, but there are also many variables as to how much we can expect that. I look at the strikers we assembled, the injury to heaton and mcginn and the overall quality of the squad and find it hard to demand this team should be consistently performing. 

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well we are just going round in circles.

Yes I know, but there are also many variables as to how much we can expect that. I look at the strikers we assembled, the injury to heaton and mcginn and the overall quality of the squad and find it hard to demand this team should be consistently performing. 

Standards. Work ethics.

It's the minimum requirement if you want to succeed at any level.

The amount of times i've seen this team getting outworked is unacceptable. Newly promoted or not, certain things should be a given. It's not just about performance levels either. This team isn't mentally right and parts of it comes from the coaching staff.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Heard a rumour smith commented that watford were expected to.win against Norwich and then commented something along the lines of " Its still in our hands" surely he hasnt said that when its 100% not the case we would need results to.go our way and win games. Neither is likely lol

Edited by villan501

5 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Heard a rumour smith commented that watford were expected to.win against Norwich and then commented something along the lines of " Its still in our hands" surely he hasnt said that when its 100% not the case we would need results to.go our way and win games. Neither is likely lol

Well if we beat Palace, Everton and West Ham we'll hit 36 points which definitely would keep us up.

But let's be real. We won't win 3/5 games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Smith is just waiting for the axe, same as everyone else. He knows its over. He should have been put out of his misery (and ours) weeks ago. We might also have stayed up. Sadly that time has now been thrown away.

I must say, he looks remarkably relaxed in his interviews, not like a stressed out relegation manager......not sure what to glean from that ,actually.

if i was a betting man, i would say he will be here next season and another shot at the championship.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, villan501 said:

He did in his press conference.

19 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Heard a rumour smith commented that watford were expected to.win against Norwich and then commented something along the lines of " Its still in our hands" surely he hasnt said that when its 100% not the case we would need results to.go our way and win games.

You "heard a rumour" that something is true. He's right. It is still in our hands. West Ham still have to play Watford. You think both could pick up 3 points in this fixture?

19 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Smith is just waiting for the axe, same as everyone else. He knows its over. He should have been put out of his misery (and ours) weeks ago. We might also have stayed up. Sadly that time has now been thrown away.

Maybe he has a Caribbean holiday and some Cricket games planned that he's dreaming of...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

That would undoubtedly be the case with HDE......not sure now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If that was the situation years ago, villa fans would be up in arms......its football people like managers, who should be signing players or vetoing iffy ones.

I don't care, what the modernist say.....its Bolleaux.

you wouldn't ask the manager to deal with the finance of the club....it should be horses for courses.

Its starting to look like the real reason, they signed Dean Smith, as a smoke screen, so purslow, could run the football show himself...... a strong manager, would tell him to get stuffed.

We are doomed Mainwaring, doomed I say.

It’s not Villa, it’s pretty much every major club

In the old days managers were signing one or two players a season, and the spend was comparatively small - now we have squads of 25 or 30 and are spending multi-millions every window

Recruitment is global and a whole structure is required to scout players in leagues all over the world

As we’ve discussed before, a key issue is that managers often think and sign short term and clubs can end up with ageing players on long contracts with no sell on value  - CEOs and DofFs are in place to control the type of player recruited and manage the medium and long term.

As an approach it makes sense, it’s just that so far it hasn’t worked for us.

Many here will disagree, but I don’t actually think that our approach is that far off. I agree in general with Purslows overall strategy, except I think we needed to recruit a bit more  experience and a few less projects. A couple more experienced heads/PL ready and I think we could have had a much more comfortable  season

Relegation or survival, this close season is hugely important for our future

34 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Using a 'rumour' as a stick to beat Smith with when he's right and you're wrong. I think this is a new low.

It's a change from the lies though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure there is much evidence to support claims like this.

We also have good players.

Grealish, McGinn, Luiz, Heaton, Targett, Mings, and Guilbert are all good enough imo. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Using a 'rumour' as a stick to beat Smith with when he's right and you're wrong. I think this is a new low.

Plus, can't help but wonder how much time passed between hearing this 'rumour', and posting something as '100% not the case' on social media... Surely enough time to do the smallest amount of research.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't know how you put it all on Smith. He is inexperienced, and we gave him an inexperienced squad, full of players not good enough for the league. 

Smith might be an abysmal manager at this level, I just don't believe we gave him and us a chance to really find out what he can do. He wasn't good enough to keep this poor squad up, that's clear. 

I think he might get the chance to bring us back up though. 

Aggression, motivation, influence, passion, work rate, mentality, belief, leaders,. Some of the things that are missing, that surely the manager should install into players to make them better.. At the moment I can't see any of this. Can you see it? We keep saying, the players don't have to be top quality, ( I can't see much in Newcastle's side, Burnley or Sheffield to be honest), we aren't going for the title, but they need to be motivated and have a winning mentality every time they go out there. We still play like a bunch of individuals, all of this surely has to be at the managers feet.

• Like 2

He needs to go end of the year. There’s no improvement. We look a shadow of the team we did the first half of the season. Obviously not all Smiths fault but you can’t exactly sack the whole team. Him and the coaching staff and the DOF need to pay the price.  Even Purslow should be held accountable too.

God knows who will replace them all though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I must say, he looks remarkably relaxed in his interviews, not like a stressed out relegation manager......not sure what to glean from that ,actually.

if i was a betting man, i would say he will be here next season and another shot at the championship.

The few million pound compensation probably eases the worries a bit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

that could be shell shock masquerading as looking relaxed?

• Like 2

Â