Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not.

Absolutely clueless. No plan B. Can't adapt. Only plays one way. The stats proves it.

Sorry if i'm being harsh but i only want what's best for the club. But i'm not in for sacking him if another mediocre manager is the alternative, then i'd rather go back down to the Championship with Dean. I believe we need a high profile coach.

Wasn't that your opinion 18 months ago. Amazingly never posted during 10 game winning run what a coincidence the San Francisco/Fulham internet down at same time 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 15:38, villalad21 said:

I think in the case of Wesley. We are asking him to play the number 9 role, something he isn't.

Wesley isn't a 9. Sooner we accept it the better we can utilize him moving forward.

Despite his falling on the floor a lot, Wesley does have strength and had started to utilise it before he got injured. If we are going to use him right he first needs to use that strength a lot more.

IMO Wesley needs to used in a way that would wear out players, using him first half and maybe bring Samatta on after Wesley isn't all that bad of an idea.

I always Visioned Wesley playing protection to Samatta and playing behind Samatta ever since we got him. The one thing I did like about Wesley is he does seem to do players heads in on the pitch and drive them crazy, even with his going to ground he managed to give us some breathing space plenty of time.

Wesley pass accuracy isn't half bad, a lot of the times the lad competes his passes from what I can remember.

I mean what's to say Smith wasn't ordering Wesley on the floor when we need breathers, we just don't know do we??. I we played worse without Wesley that's for sure and maybe that has to do with the breaks we couldn't get from either Wes holding the ball or going to ground, most teams have a guy that does that lol.

Would it be such a bad idea to have Wesley play as an attacking midfielder who can run in and out of the defenders all she we have Samatta in front, I do t think it is. With many of our midfielders either not competing enough or being on the ball, we wouldn't miss one that's for sure, if certainly be prepared to play Wesley and Samatta on the pitch at the same time.

Any chance we could play a 3-6-1.

I would also make a play for Morelos from rangers, having Wesley, Morelos and Samatta would be a really hot lineup up front.

Edited by Dave-R

Wesley and Heaton cant finish this season.They were both out for the season with injuries which means that whatever happens they are both NOT eligable to play till next season,when they were due to come back.

7 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Wesley and Heaton cant finish this season.They were both out for the season with injuries which means that whatever happens they are both NOT eligable to play till next season,when they were due to come back.

Unless they change the rules about player registration. Not impossible since they are changing the rules about everything else.

Wesley still injured for a couple of months I think.

I think we are allowed to re-register them , as the 2 players we added Drinkwater and Reina can leave 1st June 

But its a non starter as neither are fit and Wes is still in Brazil 

On 21/05/2020 at 14:58, Nabby said:

I think we are allowed to re-register them , as the 2 players we added Drinkwater and Reina can leave 1st June 

But its a non starter as neither are fit and Wes is still in Brazil 

Reading that DW has returned to training..

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/05/23/dean-smith-ive-rewatched-every-aston-villa-game/

Villa returned to Bodymoor Heath for the first time in more than two months this week after top flight clubs agreed to resume non-contact, small group training. 

Boss Smith revealed how he had used the time away to maximum effect by reviewing every aspect of the campaign to date. 

In addition to holding one-on-one reviews with every player, Smith also watched every second of the action so far. 

Villa sat 19th in the table when the season was halted by the coronavirus pandemic having lost five matches in a row and will look to fight their way out of trouble should the campaign restart next month.

Smith said: “I am not one who usually goes back and watches every game but this time I have watched every single game and there were certainly lessons to take. 

“I’ve managed to do a video review with every player, which during the season is something I would never get the chance to do.” 

Villa’s squad was split into four during the lockdown with each holding regular chats with Smith and his assistants, with the latter holding coaching meetings every three days. 

“We had one chat with the players which was only supposed to last 45 minutes but it ended up being an hour-and-a-half,” he said. 

“It was really good to have such long chats with the players which again, you don’t normally get a chance to do. 

“At the moment we are in the bottom three and we know what we have to get better at.”

The owners have missed their chance there.They gave Ds one game and the season stopped but anyone could see that DS was getting us no where.Now they have missed the chance of a new manager having a few weeks with the team before the season re-starts. 

Can't sack a manager during a pandemic. Would be absurd.

If we are relegated though who would even want the job? Sticking with Smith might be the better options and if he can get us promoted straight back up again.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

How long do you want to give him ? We have played 28 games and are 19th.If thats the best he can do after 28 games then what can we realistically expect with 10 games ?!

For me the position isn't really the issue - it's the totally inept performances and the complete inconsistency.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Pochettino available..

It's allowed to dream :) 

BIELSA we should totally make a play for IMO.

It's looking doubtful that Leeds can keep hold of Bielsa,all his backroom staff would come with him as well.The longer football doesnt come back then Leeds may be forced to abandon Bielsa completely.

Bielsa costs alot of money it seems, how much he and his staff is costing Leeds is a question I'd like to know, I read it's a very big portion of what money Leeds already have coming in

Yes I think if we got rid of Smith, if we couldnt get anyone like Pochettino, then Bielsa would be my fav.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Smith did better in the championship last season than Bielsa, from the time he was appointed until the end of the season we took more points than Leeds and then won the play-offs whilst Leeds were knocked out in the semi-finals. Besides not sure why he'd leave them at the moment especially to join us, they're looking good for promotion whilst we're one of the favorites to go down.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith did better in the championship last season than Bielsa, from the time he was appointed until the end of the season we took more points than Leeds and then won the play-offs whilst Leeds were knocked out in the semi-finals. Besides not sure why he'd leave them at the moment especially to join us, they're looking good for promotion whilst we're one of the favorites to go down.

But i think Bielsa would do much better in this league.

Time will tell obviously but i think Leeds will be ok if they get promoted. Less games, will suit his intensive style better than the Championship.

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Because Leeds can no longer really afford him or his staff unless they get promotion. If championship footy doesnt comeback or the longer it takes and leeds are not making money it puts them in an awkward position.

Just another case of another club living beyond there means it sounds like all in order to obtain premier football, we did the same under xia and spending everything to obtain promotion, we was fortunate to find our Owners at that moment.

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Because Leeds can no longer really afford him or his staff unless they get promotion. If championship footy doesnt comeback or the longer it takes and leeds are not making money it puts them in an awkward position.

Just another case of another club living beyond there means it sounds like all in order to obtain premier football, we did the same under xia and spending everything to obtain promotion, we was fortunate to find our Owners at that moment.

There's no way Leeds isn't getting promoted this season. So far ahead with only 9 games to go

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There's no way Leeds isn't getting promoted this season. So far ahead with only 9 games to go

The fact that the season still has games to go and while ever there is a chance that maybe other clubs could put them out of the picture for automatic, it would be unfair to just award them promotion without the rest of the games being played out right??? It's all as unfair to award teams titles or promotions without a clear obvious win than it is to relegate any clubs who could of made a comeback.

For all we know on restart is Leeds could have a nightmare for the rest of the season and could end up losing constantly, a similar story the other end where we could win survival. While ever football is off and rest of the season is not played out,then if we award clubs promotions,titles, survival or relegation, it's like we saying were All a bunch of mystic mega and can see into the future.

Like the points per game system is total bit of silliness that isn't fair in any sense because there is no way that will ever translate to real life.

Only way this all gets resolved fairly is if the seasons carry on and finish or a void is placed on the leagues and nobody gets anything.

Leeds are only seven points ahead of Fulham and 11 points ahead of Brentford and Forest, you cant tell me with 21 points left to grab that if Leeds play poorly enough they could easy be put out the picture and either Fulham, Brentford or a Forest come in and be promoted instead.

The most Leeds have done is secured playoffs for definitely it's all but looking.

Â