Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I think some of them will iimprove, but not all of them. But have to be careful with who we discard as we've had players in the past who've been written off and then gone on elsewhere to prove that they're very good players, I think the problem for some of the new signings has been that they were thrown into a team that was learning about the premier leage together, whereas if you'd have put some of them as individuals in already established teams then they probably would have faired better.

I think in the case of Wesley. We are asking him to play the number 9 role, something he isn't.

Wesley isn't a 9. Sooner we accept it the better we can utilize him moving forward.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think in the case of Wesley. We are asking him to play the number 9 role, something he isn't.

Wesley isn't a 9. Sooner we accept it the better we can utilize him moving forward.

You do know he is injured and has been for 5 months and probably another 5 months. Not sure if has been mentioned in teh Fulham forums

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 07:42, Dave-R said:

Can't put the blame on just defenders and keepers though, I do believe that if we hadn't of been under fire for most of a game and wed of given breathing space to our defence a d keepers then holding the ball up or moving it on from midfield, could of seen better results.

Our problem is we've been under fire for to much of a period I  games, cause mistakes will happen when your bombarded for 70 plus minutes, i dont think any team could take that without goals going in, especially at a top level. We need to keep the ball for longer, pass better, make them sweat in there own area a d for that to happen, we need our midfield and wingers to work properly. 

The defence has been " got at " too easily, this season.

That is not to say they have covered themselves in glory either.

most of our players are relieved of the ball far too easily.....surely that should be worked on, but I have seen no evidence.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

With Smith's tactics, Defenders are having to do half of the midfielders job aswell as they tend to be too far forward. 

When Peter Crouch summed up Brighton he said "Good on the eye, but don't win games!"

I think that's a good summary of us this season. Well at least for the first part of the season. We've been playing crap football the second part.

• Like 1

It's important that we don't forget about the past games when the league returns. Smith shouldn't be given a free pass just because of a long break.

This is still inexcusable and Smith should still be fighting for his job in my eyes.

I know i posted this in the relegation thread as well but i feel like people need to realize how bad it's been this season. We can't ignore this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

That's awful mate, an i'm fed up with peoples bullshit. Anyone else, an they would have been calling for his head since Christmas.

And some of us been on about the shot against stat all season but plenty of people just brushed it aside

It's important that we don't forget about the past games when the league returns. Smith shouldn't be given a free pass just because of a long break.

This is still inexcusable and Smith should still be fighting for his job in my eyes.

I know i posted this in the relegation thread as well but i feel like people need to realize how bad it's been this season. We can't ignore this.

Ouch when seen listed like that he really should be under pressure from above  and his position under review. Can also see why some people think he is out of his depth. I’m still in the fence. 

I would imagine NSWE and Purslow would have discussed different scenarios in terms of Smiths position and have a succession plan in place ready (one would hope). I remember reading about how Southampton try and plan managerial appointments two in advance by monitoring and keeping an eye on potential candidates not just next but years to come with the manager fitting the club so not to lose progress and momentum. Chopping  and changing between managerial styles. Not always been a success mind you. 

Edit could find the exact article but this one touches on it ... or I just imagined reading it somewhere. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37954971

Every candidate to replace Ronald was in the system a year before and had a 45- or 50-page document, with a profile. The interview criteria were four pages long. 

Edited by thabucks

31 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’m still in the fence. 

I'm not.

Absolutely clueless. No plan B. Can't adapt. Only plays one way. The stats proves it.

Sorry if i'm being harsh but i only want what's best for the club. But i'm not in for sacking him if another mediocre manager is the alternative, then i'd rather go back down to the Championship with Dean. I believe we need a high profile coach.

• Like 4

The statistics are so bad, before the break we were heading for 20th place and we would have deserved it.

I worry if the first game back is a defeat that's us done, confidence will be shot to bits.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The statistics are so bad, before the break we were heading for 20th place and we would have deserved it.

I worry if the first game back is a defeat that's us done, confidence will be shot to bits.

Given we are playing Chelsea next good chance we will lose ...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

Given we are playing Chelsea next good chance we will lose ...

I felt bad when Tammy scored against us. Hope he doesn't play.

Seeing him score against us at VP would be heartbreaking 

That game will be so massive for Dean. If the result get's really bad it could turn really ugly among the fans. We need a encouraging start.

Edited by villalad21

I'm not.

Absolutely clueless. No plan B. Can't adapt. Only plays one way. The stats proves it.

Sorry if i'm being harsh but i only want what's best for the club. But i'm not in for sacking him if another mediocre manager is the alternative, then i'd rather go back down to the Championship with Dean. I believe we need a high profile coach.

Be interesting what happens in the summer regardless of which division we are in . Does he deserve another shot at promotion ? If we stay up should we keep him? Dyche has proved a point by being kept on but a whole host of other Examples where it was a mistake ... That’s why I’m currently on the fence with sacking him or backing him at present 

I‘m hoping he has used this enforced mid season sabbatical to take a hard look at his role in our current position Where he can improve and I hope he has adapted accordingly. We have a good squad Under the circumstances given the turmoil of the past two summers but it’s not balanced enough and something is seriously wrong somewhere . Not sure if it’s tactics or personnel ? 

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to keep Smith as he knows the Championship.

Problem is we, the collective we from the top down completely messed up this season and it should be a lesson learned if we manage to miraculously stay up!

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Oh shut up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might think he might be given a minuscule amount of slack  with the fact he had to rebuild  over half his team in  about two months  and due to PPS we are unable to recruit the best players and his hands are tied  due to our value added recruitment policy, the fact  as a boyhood fan of the club he got his promoted last season in a  epic 10 game winning run culminating in our only win in any sort of Wembley final for nearly a quarter of a century,  in that in his first full season at Villa he got us to a  major cup final  which teams like Newcastle,  Southampton, Everton or West Ham haven't done for over 10 years, and in that with 10 games to go we could still stay up. 

But then I remembered of course not, Smith has to go.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Before season was postponed Smith had the Chelsea game to get a positive result in order to avoid the sack according to John Percy, whether people like it or not his job is on the line. If it wasn't for the season being stopped there's a very good chance that he wouldn't be our manager now.

Something that seems to have been forgotten and understandably so, but it does indicate the owners weren't happy and things will have to iimprove when we get back. I actually had a feeling that we were going to get a result in the Chelsea game which might have turned things around. Think all we can do now is wait and see how things look at the end of the season and then make a decision, stll got an excellent chance of staying up.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Firstly it’s not like you are ever going to let us forget.

Secondly why the **** is so important not to forget? How about we get behind Smith and the team for the remaining games instead of banging on about how poor we have been.

We don’t even know if the season will re- start and all you can do is post negative s**t about Smith. As if we haven’t read your negative posts all year. 

what are you trying to achieve by bringing this up now?

Why do you feel it is so important for you to enlighten people on a football forum to how bad it has been? 

During lockdown I actually forgot about football, never mind how bad Smith and the team have been. Thank god I have you to remind me. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â