Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Surely that relegation season with SHA aswell? I remember Liverpool sticking 7 past them although that could've been FA cup game. They actually had an experienced back 4 that season aswell, Upson, Kenny Cunnigham and Mario Melchiot all playing when they went down.

2005/6 They went down conceding 50 goals, ....we finished 16th conceding 55 goals.

His record at B,Ham was 2002/3 (49) 2003/4 (49)  2004/5 ( 46) 2005/6 (50)

Not saying he is any good mind.....but he does know how to defend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

2005/6 They went down conceding 50 goals, ....we finished 16th conceding 55 goals.

His record at B,Ham was 2002/3 (49) 2003/4 (49)  2004/5 ( 46) 2005/6 (50)

Not saying he is any good mind.....but he does know how to defend.

That did surprise me looking back at the season, seems they lost about 10 games 1-0. Had real issues scoring goals that season.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That did surprise me looking back at the season, seems they lost about 10 games 1-0. Had real issues scoring goals that season.

Newcastle are the same , hardly score but they have ground out a few draws and low scoring wins 

I'd have to check but I don't recall us winning a game this season 1-0 

Newcastle are terrible to watch , they were awful against us on other hand we are good to watch but mostly as its end to end stuff as we concede so many chances as we are so open.There is some middle ground needed

• Like 2

Norwich on boxing day but we were incredibly lucky to win that.

Newcastle's approach has certainly worked much better against top 6 teams than ours but we've been better at taking points off teams around us. Newcastle for example took 1 point off Norwich in their two games and lost at Burnley.

Yes middle ground is needed. For example at 2-2 v Spurs making sure we're not so high up the pitch from a goal kick, a draw would've been fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Norwich on boxing day but we were incredibly lucky to win that.

Newcastle's approach has certainly worked much better against top 6 teams than ours but we've been better at taking points off teams around us. Newcastle for example took 1 point off Norwich in their two games and lost at Burnley.

Yes middle ground is needed. For example at 2-2 v Spurs making sure we're not so high up the pitch from a goal kick, a draw would've been fine.

Lot of individual errors in that one 

Reina should of smashed the ball out as far as he could to go out for a throw in to waste time 

Baston position was all over the place leaving the Spurs defender ample chance to hit it back up the field 

Engels should just be booting the ball away 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't like he didn't spend big on strikers either. Heskey, Morrison, Forssell, Pandiani was big money at time. Outspending us at times

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Steve Bruce teams have always had issues scoring goals.....thats why i say you need both to be a good, rounded team.

as you know, I am a keen advocate of defending well, but that does not mean deploying too many players to JUST defending alone......the balance is crucial.

Steve was just too cautious and made defending his holy grail....instead of a sensibly balanced format.

some managers do that, to get their figures down, they just close up and then that affects their ability to attack and the balance gets screwed.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Nabby said:

Newcastle are the same , hardly score but they have ground out a few draws and low scoring wins 

I'd have to check but I don't recall us winning a game this season 1-0 

Newcastle are terrible to watch , they were awful against us on other hand we are good to watch but mostly as its end to end stuff as we concede so many chances as we are so open.There is some middle ground needed

I think it's called progression....you have to gradually get there by shrewd buys in many windows or get lucky with a super academy kid to aid.

To play like we want to play you have to have a squad like Man City or Liverpool....and we don't yet.....The first season, you should be tight and miserly and sneak 1-0's or 2-1's to establish a footing and then go on to be more adventurous, when we have the players to do it.

Our objective should have been to stay in this league, but our cavalier approach, may be swashbuckling and exciting, but it is equally naive.....56 goals conceded after 28 games is testimony to that....Norwich have fell in to the same trap, despite coming up with a great goals for column.

I hope we have learnt....We still have 10 games left, to right the wrongs, hope we can do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

Lot of individual errors in that one 

Reina should of smashed the ball out as far as he could to go out for a throw in to waste time 

Baston position was all over the place leaving the Spurs defender ample chance to hit it back up the field 

Engels should just be booting the ball away 

I have noticed all season our positioning is questionable.

Maybe its just learning in a new division.....positioning is far more crucial in this league.

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have noticed all season our positioning is questionable.

Maybe its just learning in a new division.....positioning is far more crucial in this league.

Positioning is usually a coaching issue or the players are not listening to the coaches.

44 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Positioning is usually a coaching issue or the players are not listening to the coaches.

I think it has got worse since Heaton got injured. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

Yeah....I'm not sure which it is.

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't think I've been in this thread for 3 months, and Steve Bruce is still the topic of conversation!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😇someone, mentioned Newcastle, in a post relating to our defending, so its not surprising, he got mentioned as he is their manager.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think it has got worse since Heaton got injured. 

Thats a very good point. He probably was the guy organizing the D !

I'm guessing that Pepe Reina wasn't doing as good a job. 

Edited by gurru991
addition

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Yeah....I'm not sure which it is.

Well every game even with the crows noise you can hear Dean shouting out instructions so yes the instructions are poor or they are not listening 

Goalie wise its quite something that we have had 2 very experienced keepers and both has made mistakes that cost us a game , its story of our season the defenders and keepers have all made individual mistakes 

On 15/05/2020 at 21:08, Nabby said:

Well every game even with the crows noise you can hear Dean shouting out instructions so yes the instructions are poor or they are not listening 

Goalie wise its quite something that we have had 2 very experienced keepers and both has made mistakes that cost us a game , its story of our season the defenders and keepers have all made individual mistakes 

Can't put the blame on just defenders and keepers though, I do believe that if we hadn't of been under fire for most of a game and wed of given breathing space to our defence a d keepers then holding the ball up or moving it on from midfield, could of seen better results.

Our problem is we've been under fire for to much of a period I  games, cause mistakes will happen when your bombarded for 70 plus minutes, i dont think any team could take that without goals going in, especially at a top level. We need to keep the ball for longer, pass better, make them sweat in there own area a d for that to happen, we need our midfield and wingers to work properly. 

• Like 1

Â