Dean Smith

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Can someone recommend the Netflix documentary The Last Dance to Dean Smith?

I'm just at the part where Phil Jackson has been brought in and revolutionised the tactics of the Bulls from just passing to Jordan all the time and to have faith in the rest of the team allowing them to prove their worth. The Bulls were getting beaten repeatedly in the play-offs because of their insistence in playing to Jordan.

I'll be stunned if he's not watching it already.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think Mings needs to know his limits as a footballer.

He seem to think he is prime Maldini on the ball.

But at the end of the day i'm pretty sure it comes down to Dean's instructions. He wants his defender to play out from the back. And it's always a risky game with limited defenders.

Its fashionable now to play out from the back but there are very few CB's that are capable of doing it for 90 minutes. Managers need to assess the talent they have and fit the system to the talent not arbitrarily declare that this is how we will play regardless of whether we have players who are capable or not. Unless you are Pep with an unlimited budget you must adapt the system to fit the team. Villa do not have the personnel  to play Dean Smith football at the Premier League level ! It works in the Championship but not against the quality checkers in the prem. Everton, Tottenham & Man C have all been punished this year trying to walk the ball out, teams need to learn how to play defence first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Its fashionable now to play out from the back but there are very few CB's that are capable of doing it for 90 minutes. Managers need to assess the talent they have and fit the system to the talent not arbitrarily declare that this is how we will play regardless of whether we have players who are capable or not. Unless you are Pep with an unlimited budget you must adapt the system to fit the team. Villa do not have the personnel  to play Dean Smith football at the Premier League level ! It works in the Championship but not against the quality checkers in the prem. Everton, Tottenham & Man C have all been punished this year trying to walk the ball out, teams need to learn how to play defence first.

It is. But we don't have the players to do it.

Look at Burnley and Crystal Palace. They don't mess around in defence. They just clear it when the opposition press.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

There's alot of fans realising this now. Smith trying to play Man City football with a team that is not capable, wonder why Smith is not seeing it. We needed to go back to basics December last, or unfortunately lose Smith, both which of course never happened and now we find ourselves well in the poo facing relegation. 

I do believe with the team we have we should not be staring relegation in the face. The team is capable of some good stuff, we have seen it,  Putting out Leicester in the cup for one, they had no answers. 

It's still a great wonder of the world why he was given that renewed contract.  I can only think it was promised if he got us up. Most of the football since though has been truly  dour.

• Thanks 1

I think you are right.

I think we need to play a different way to get the best out of this team.

Our centre backs aren't comfortable playing out of the back at all. Hause been the biggest clown of them all in this department. But even Mings has looked clumsy all season with the ball at his feet. He plays better when he just hoofs it and focus on actual defending.

But we need a big target man that Jack and McGinn can play off of. We don't have it. Wesley is a tall but he plays like a little b**ch.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think you are right.

I think we need to play a different way to get the best out of this team.

Our centre backs aren't comfortable playing out of the back at all. Hause been the biggest clown of them all in this department. But even Mings has looked clumsy all season with the ball at his feet. He plays better when he just hoofs it and focus on actual defending.

But we need a big target man that Jack and McGinn can play off of. We don't have it. Wesley is a tall but he plays like a little b**ch.

When you decide that our players are clowns and little bitches , i think it may be time for you to move on , there is no way you aren't a troll

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

When you decide that our players are clowns and little bitches , i think it may be time for you to move on , there is no way you aren't a troll

No i don't think our players are clowns.

What i mean to say is they look really stupid when trying to do something they are incapable of doing.

Wesley is the only player that genuinely pisses me off though. Just can't deal with his constant falling on the floor and moaning. Need to get it out of his game. He's a big and strong lad and needs to act like it.

Edited by villalad21

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There's alot of fans realising this now. Smith trying to play Man City football with a team that is not capable, wonder why Smith is not seeing it. We needed to go back to basics December last, or unfortunately lose Smith, both which of course never happened and now we find ourselves well in the poo facing relegation. 

I do believe with the team we have we should not be staring relegation in the face. The team is capable of some good stuff, we have seen it,  Putting out Leicester in the cup for one, they had no answers. 

It's still a great wonder of the world why he was given that renewed contract.  I can only think it was promised if he got us up. Most of the football since though has been truly  dour.

One issue is 3 at the back or 4 he still has 3 attackers. So many times we have been badly out manned in mf because the 2 in the middle have no support 

It's why I would bring McGinn back at the cost of Al Ghazi , Samatta up top Jack floating behind.With that said having that extra man to make us more solid in open play will be for nothing if we can't defend corners.Mings mark who ever his the oppositions best header - the end ,none of this over complicated floating man shit.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

A troll with almost 9000 posts. That would be serious dedication !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Dean has an attacking mentality, which appeals to fans and fills stadiums....In most instances the football is enjoyable and exciting....The problem is other teams want to play like this too, so you have to have an edge to negate that, and we don't.

We can play well for 80 minutes, but when the opposition press for a result we flounder....that is not a good team.....its a team that flatters to decieve, the game is about playing until the final whistle.

Last season was a tremendous feat,no doubt about that and that got him his deal.....but consistency was questionable for a promoted side....The 10 game winning run,was undoubtedly a confidence changer and what got us there...in stark contrast to the 1 win in 10 prior to that.

He had a 46% win ratio from when he too over until January and from them he had a 53% win ratio ....which wasn't bad at all,(compared with so many previous managers) but it raised questions imo....despite the fantastic play off games.

Its hard to give a true view, unless you are a fly on the wall at BMH....but I think things behind the scenes are not as straight forward as we all think....I don't think Dean has the control, we would all like to think he has, but when you get offered the job of your boy hood club, its hard to rock the boat or force through your principles on players you want.

I don't believe, Dean can't see, what we see....but doing something about it,might be more difficult.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

.In most instances the football is enjoyable and exciting

To me it's nerve wrecking.

Feels like the opponent is gonna score every time there's a set piece or they are in our half. Our fullbacks bombing forward leaving behind a lot of space.

That coupled with us not being able to keep hold of the ball is a recipe for disaster.

I just can't understand why it has to be so super offensive all the time. Can't there be a middle ground?

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

One issue is 3 at the back or 4 he still has 3 attackers. So many times we have been badly out manned in mf because the 2 in the middle have no support 

It's why I would bring McGinn back at the cost of Al Ghazi , Samatta up top Jack floating behind.With that said having that extra man to make us more solid in open play will be for nothing if we can't defend corners.Mings mark who ever his the oppositions best header - the end ,none of this over complicated floating man shit.

The 2 in the middle, should be the engine room, they should create the support for others.......they should nick the ball and start attacks by feeding the talent.....ours for many reasons, don't do that anywhere near enough and end up as passengers.

John Mcginn IMO is not an out and out winner of the ball.....but he does do it very well, spasmodically.....we have missed even that.

The 2 you mention should be the driving force, with at least one enforcer and a tenacious play maker, like Cropley or Cowans or McMahon .....we are way off the pace with that.

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To me it's nerve wrecking.

Feels like the opponent is gonna score every time there's a set piece or they are in our half. Our fullbacks bombing forward leaving behind a lot of space.

That coupled with us not being able to keep hold of the ball is a recipe for disaster.

I just can't understand why it has to be so super offensive all the time. Can't there be a middle ground?

That as well.

Its super offensive, because they can't defend, so they play to their strengths.

I was just trying to be fair.....look you know my stance by now.

But when a manager has a full stadium every home game and 8,000 waiting for season tickets.....It will take a CEO with big conkers to sack him.

It used to be said years ago, during difficult times....The dropping of gates will sack the manager, thats before cabbages were discovered to be effective.

Ps Not Eric Gates.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

That as well.

Its super offensive, because they can't defend, so they play to their strengths.

I was just trying to be fair.....look you know my stance by now.

But when a manager has a full stadium every home game and 8,000 waiting for season tickets.....It will take a CEO with big conkers to sack him.

It used to be said years ago, during difficult times....The dropping of gates will sack the manager, thats before cabbages were discovered to be effective.

Ps Not Eric Gates.

Has to turn real bad for that to be happening.

Being a boyhood Villa fan Smith will get away with things by the fans Bruce could only dream of.

I can only imagine the abuse Bruce would get with this defensive record.

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Has to turn real bad for that to be happening.

Being a boyhood Villa fan Smith will get away with things by the fans Bruce could only dream of.

I can only imagine the abuse Bruce would get with this defensive record.

A field full of cabbages

To be fair to him, Bruce has never conceded more than 56 goals in managing any premier league team over 38 games.....we are on that figure now.

but thats only talking about one aspect of the game of course.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

A field full of cabbages

To be fair to him, Bruce has never conceded more than 56 goals in managing any premier league team over 38 games.....we are on that figure now.

I actually think Bruce is a very average manager. But he has still achieved a whole lot more than Dean in his managerial career. It was the right thing to do to sack Bruce. He was at the end of a cycle, fans were not happy with the football and the sacking was inevitable.

Dean were what we needed at the time. And i believe he is a decent coach in the Championship but i don't think he can ever take us to the next level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

A field full of cabbages

He conceded 56 in 2010 and also in 2011 with Sunderland

Surely that relegation season with SHA aswell? I remember Liverpool sticking 7 past them although that could've been FA cup game. They actually had an experienced back 4 that season aswell, Upson, Kenny Cunnigham and Mario Melchiot all playing when they went down.

I think Smith's been naive and so too the owners, in hindsight they know the potentially catastrophic mistakes they have made.

If they don't then we are relegated; guess we'll soon see what transpires when this unscrupulous PL gravy train sets its wheels in motion once again.

• Like 2

Also his post match comments has been odd.

Was it after the Southampton game he bashed his own players? 

And then against a 4-0 loss against Leicester he said we looked good defensively and isn't bashing his players.

Clearly after getting hammered against Leicester with players looking disinterested he didn't get a reaction he wanted after blaming the players in public.  He  then do the exact opposite in the next fixture. God knows how they would have responded next week if the virus never happened?

But who knows? Maybe he'll have his players with a renewed motivation and drive after this break.

Edited by villalad21

Â