Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It was certainly muddled thinking. Signing just one new forward yet four new CBs?! Makes how bad we've been defensively since December even worse. Really don't understand why in that four we didn't get one experienced CB once we realised Chester's body couldn't cope with top level football anymore.

I think there are many questions regarding our transfer policy and activity.

many have been well voiced in the above posts.

personally, my confidence in transfers is at a low ebb.

I am really not sure how Dean fits in to it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

But even that just results in just giving the ball away.....we just have to be better.

Yes of  course but losing the ball in your own half is a disaster. Often results in goals conceded.

Do you remember Engels against Spurs at Villa Park? So unnecessary..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yes of  course but losing the ball in your own half is a disaster. Often results in goals conceded.

But that wasn't losing possession, it was a failed attempt at kicking the ball. He mishit it and caught only air.

Not like he tried to be clever with the ball and got caught. He whiffed it and missed when trying to boot it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sne said:

But that wasn't losing possession, it was a failed attempt at kicking the ball. He mishit it and caught only air.

Not like he tried to be clever with the ball and got caught. He whiffed it and missed when trying to boot it.

Fair enough.

But it doesn't look like he is trying to clear it. Actually looks like he's trying to receive it with his feet and pass it.

F***in hell. Just first time hoof it!

Edited by villalad21

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It was just basic stuff...why use the thinest part of your foot, when you have a wider part....it was just stupid.

but teams like Spurs, concentrate for the full game, we don't.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but teams like Spurs, concentrate for the full game, we don't.

If they can't concentrate for a full game that's just another good reason to why they shouldn't try to pass it from the back.

• Like 1

It's not in that clip but Borja makes me laugh for that goal. He's as much to blame as Engels for me honestly.

He runs backwards and ploughed into the back of Luiz for no reason, making him not flick it on and leaving Sanchez free to boot it forward. There is no explanation for what he was trying to do. Engels tried to deal with it and fails miserably, the only thing Borja would have done if he'd got his head to it was mallet it backwards 30 yards.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's not in that clip but Borja makes me laugh for that goal. He's as much to blame as Engels for me honestly.

He runs backwards and ploughed into the back of Luiz for no reason, making him not flick it on and leaving Sanchez free to boot it forward. There is no explanation for what he was trying to do. Engels tried to deal with it and fails miserably, the only thing Borja would have done if he'd got his head to it was mallet it backwards 30 yards.

There have been times during the season where they look like a gaggle of Geese with a fox in the middle of them.

The organisation has been really questionable.....No leader on the pitch to galvanise them.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

There have been times during the season where they look like a gaggle of Geese with a fox in the middle of them.

The organisation has been really questionable.....No leader on the pitch to galvanise them.

Whilst Mings shows leadership qualities and Jack leads by example, you’re right there’s nobody that can pick the team up when things are going badly. Having said that we shouldn’t be looking for a single player, it should be a collective. I think as a group of players they generally are quite united, there seems to be a good spirit. However we’re not going on a lads holiday, we’re there to win football matches. Perhaps the odd personality that gets under people’s skin and winds them up is what we’re missing. I’m not saying we should be all falling out and having punch ups, like Newcastle a few years back, but it all just seems too comfortable. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Whilst Mings shows leadership qualities and Jack leads by example, you’re right there’s nobody that can pick the team up when things are going badly. Having said that we shouldn’t be looking for a single player, it should be a collective. I think as a group of players they generally are quite united, there seems to be a good spirit. However we’re not going on a lads holiday, we’re there to win football matches. Perhaps the odd personality that gets under people’s skin and winds them up is what we’re missing. I’m not saying we should be all falling out and having punch ups, like Newcastle a few years back, but it all just seems too comfortable. 

I ask my self this question?

If Jack was playing against us ( and it might be soon) would he have the same issues of being brought down as often as he does now?...He would have the space he craves.

I think not....He would be allowed to play.

Ps you are right about not one player ( but its a start) the team needs to be more hard nosed and scrap worthy( scrapping for the ball).....I think they need an inspirational player who can breed that in to them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Mings is always on fire when things go tits up and that's the kind of guy we want when things go wrong, Jack just ends up on floor from being fouled and gives the ref crap, I think it's obvious who should captain at that point.

The only one I can see leading is either Heaton or Mings, because everything is relied on Jack, captaincy, creative play, move the ball forward, it all just needs to stop imo..

I'd say we do need to bring someone in who can lead and lift spirits, we need someone inspirational, who knows what it's like to go win the game, we have not seen that all season.

Smith has to get some of these players using there talents to there fullest, some of them are more than capable and we've seen glimpses of it. We have shown we can be pretty dangerous in front of goal, problem we've had is cross success percentage has been abysmal, so to has our interception rate, much work needed. Can a few decent quality players aid in that, not really sure but is it worth the risk with ten games left trying to buy some quality, we've risked it all before with signings and its failed.

40 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Mings is always on fire when things go tits up and that's the kind of guy we want when things go wrong, Jack just ends up on floor from being fouled and gives the ref crap, I think it's obvious who should captain at that point.

The only one I can see leading is either Heaton or Mings, because everything is relied on Jack, captaincy, creative play, move the ball forward, it all just needs to stop imo..

I'd say we do need to bring someone in who can lead and lift spirits, we need someone inspirational, who knows what it's like to go win the game, we have not seen that all season.

Smith has to get some of these players using there talents to there fullest, some of them are more than capable and we've seen glimpses of it. We have shown we can be pretty dangerous in front of goal, problem we've had is cross success percentage has been abysmal, so to has our interception rate, much work needed. Can a few decent quality players aid in that, not really sure but is it worth the risk with ten games left trying to buy some quality, we've risked it all before with signings and its failed.

Jack leads by example only, he is not a shouter who can rally the troops and inspire and show defeat is not an option.

I have so many mixed thoughts on the whole thing.....But I am absolutely sure we need that Midfield General....a Townsend, Richardson or a Barry.

We have not seen that for some time, never mind this season.

I think Whelan was brought in to do it for us....but the quality wasn't really there.....now we have brought in Drinkwater, well , this train has gone too IMO.

We really do need to get focused on this and make it a priority.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

Mings might have leadership qualities but when he is the one making the most amount of mistakes on the pitch what kind of a leader is he to look up to?

Think he's been poor this season. He needs to improve.

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mings might have leadership qualities but when he is the one making the most amount of mistakes on the pitch what kind of a leader is he to look up to?

Think he's been poor this season. He needs to improve.

certainly went off the boil....but they all did.

Just now, TRO said:

certainly went off the boil....but they all did.

I think Mings needs to know his limits as a footballer.

He seem to think he is prime Maldini on the ball.

But at the end of the day i'm pretty sure it comes down to Dean's instructions. He wants his defender to play out from the back. And it's always a risky game with limited defenders.

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We lose the ball everywhere on the pitch....but yeah, particulary dangerous.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I said at the time that Spurs goal relegated us if football had continued in normal fashion. We actually played pretty well for an hour of it and even if the last 20 minutes was spent clinging on for the point it would've been a good one to dig out against a decent team. To lose in that manner was catastrophic.

Look at how badly we played at Southampton and Leicester afterwards. We did alright in the cup final but that was a one off and you need to play well against Man. City not to get trashed in a game as happened at VP.

At least the break has given us time to refocus mentally as think we were resigned to our fate from the final whistle v Spurs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I said at the time that Spurs goal relegated us if football had continued in normal fashion. We actually played pretty well for an hour of it and even if the last 20 minutes was spent clinging on for the point it would've been a good one to dig out against a decent team. To lose in that manner was catastrophic.

Look at how badly we played at Southampton and Leicester afterwards. We did alright in the cup final but that was a one off and you need to play well against Man. City not to get trashed in a game as happened at VP.

At least the break has given us time to refocus mentally as think we were resigned to our fate from the final whistle v Spurs.

Chris , I am not trying to be controversial, but its like boxing well for 8 rounds and winning all the rounds on points and then getting knocked out in 9th or being well on top at snooker and then losing the game on snookers.

Its all part and parcel of the game....it can't be seperated.

If it happens regularly and it has done with us, we are not playing well.....being a few goals up is oh so noble, but the name of the game is finishing it off.

we are just good in parts, its not enough and we will pay the price, if its unchecked.

The bits we are not good at are fixable, but we keep thinking we are unlucky, but we are not, its poor play and the sooner we all address it, the better.....preferably the manager, first.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Chris , I am not trying to be controversial, but its like boxing well for 8 rounds and winning all the rounds on points and then getting knocked out in 9th or being well on top at snooker and then losing the game on snookers.

Its all part and parcel of the game....it can't be seperated.

If it happens regularly and it has done with us, we are not playing well.....being a few goals up is oh so noble, but the name of the game is finishing it off.

we are just good in parts, its not enough and we will pay the price, if its unchecked.

The bits we are not good at are fixable, but we keep thinking we are unlucky, but we are not, its poor play and the sooner we all address it, the better.....preferably the manager, first.

All sport requires the player or team to go the distance, being awesome for 80 minutes and the conceding two in the last ten minutes is not unlucky, it's poor game management !!  The Premier League is tough because all teams can hurt you if you if you take 30 seconds off.

• Like 1

Can someone recommend the Netflix documentary The Last Dance to Dean Smith?

I'm just at the part where Phil Jackson has been brought in and revolutionised the tactics of the Bulls from just passing to Jordan all the time and to have faith in the rest of the team allowing them to prove their worth. The Bulls were getting beaten repeatedly in the play-offs because of their insistence in playing to Jordan.

• Like 1

Â