Dean Smith

Demitri_C

55 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

While I do agree to an extent, I think this is something that generally shouldn't be extended in to the middle of March.

You can count on one hand games where we've really, genuinely, looked the better team. I think giving someone the boot a dozen games in to the season is a bit reactionary. But we've played nearly 30 games now and we're only getting worse.

I think the key is whether the players believe in the manager, and I don't think the ones we have do. Once that is lost, the manager has to go. 

We have an entirely new team. New to each other, new to this league. I wouldn't be surprised that such a team hasn't gelled by March. The problem is, some of these players aren't really that great and having a lot of mediocre to poor players trying to integrate into a cohesive unit isn't going to be pretty.

When Man City signed a squad of world class players in 2010, they didn't gel that first season. But since they were world class players, it meant they finished 4th. For us, it means we'll be hovering around the relegation zone. I'm praying we stay up by the skin of our teeth, that's all we need right now. If we do, next season either some of these players shape up after a year of PL football under their belts, or their more expensive replacements will be waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d like someone else to try and keep us up but I’d want Smith as manager if we got relegated. Does that make sense?

Yes. Then I think the best solution to this conundrum is keeping Smith, since he has a chance of keeping us up anyway.

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yes. Then I think the best solution to this conundrum is keeping Smith, since he has a chance of keeping us up anyway.

I guess. There just seems to be a lot of hostility towards him. When our fans turn on a manager it becomes toxic at the club.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

4-0 away to the 3rd best team in the league who had real motivation to do us over after the league cup... and our expensive experienced GK recruit shit the bed in a "I don't give a shit, this is just a retirement gig" kind of way.

Panic, panic! 

We are where we are. This "we are Aston Villa" stuff bears no relation to our real situation over the past too many years. There is a reason the cup final 1 of 38 threads were opened. We are in a relegation fight with 9 games to go. Maybe a little below expectations, but not by much.

A summer evaluation will be necessary, but right now all hands, focus and energy must be on the next game.

Yup. Wish we were more like Norwich supporters. Get tonked every game but still boisterous, and guess what? They're still in with a shout and everybody believes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Could be fun reading some of these posts in about 16 months. 

When we are 13th in the Championship and still leaking goals like a sieve? 

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We have an entirely new team. New to each other, new to this league. I wouldn't be surprised that such a team hasn't gelled by March. The problem is, some of these players aren't really that great and having a lot of mediocre to poor players trying to integrate into a cohesive unit isn't going to be pretty.

When Man City signed a squad of world class players in 2010, they didn't gel that first season. But since they were world class players, it meant they finished 4th. For us, it means we'll be hovering around the relegation zone. I'm praying we stay up by the skin of our teeth, that's all we need right now. If we do, next season either some of these players shape up after a year of PL football under their belts, or their more expensive replacements will be waiting in the wings.

The drama is  its not the players but the way they are set up . Its insanely obvious to the football world including my lads u9  local reserve  team manger  he is out of his depth!!!!! 

You can blame players and mistakes  and integration all day. The facts are the bottom of the  is very poor  and we are in the position we deserve. Im really not one for screaming for the managers head but the pattern of results and play hasn't improved all season . We occasionally show 10 - 15 minute purple patch that give us hope, but the reality is were wide open as a team defensively and easy to play and apply pressure on. Nothing has changed!! I dont think the squad is brilliant but we could and should have picked up at least 8 -9 more points at least  realistically. I believe the squad could have been sufficient to survive this season, but not playing the type of football Dean smith asks for . Unfortunately i believe the chances of survival with the games remaining will never be enough , as we continue to play the same Philosophy that has  served the manager so well this season. 

The only thing that needs to shape up is the coaching staff and manager!! 

• Like 1

FWIW i will always hold him in high regard after last season and for givong me some amazing villa related moments. The more he clings on trying to fix something that is so broken without the knowledge or ability to do so, the more i will start to lose respect for him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sne said:

He'll have half a season to turn things around and while they have improved they are still on 2 points ahead of us with 1 more game played averaging 1.2 p.p/g during his 15 games.

Which is quite an improvement on the 0.5 points per game they were on before he took over. If we could get a manager to get us 1.2 points per game from now on we would end on 37 points, probably enough to be safe.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

4-0 away to the 3rd best team in the league who had real motivation to do us over after the league cup... and our expensive experienced GK recruit shit the bed in a "I don't give a shit, this is just a retirement gig" kind of way.

Panic, panic! 

We are where we are. This "we are Aston Villa" stuff bears no relation to our real situation over the past too many years. There is a reason the cup final 1 of 38 threads were opened. We are in a relegation fight with 9 games to go. Maybe a little below expectations, but not by much.

A summer evaluation will be necessary, but right now all hands, focus and energy must be on the next game.

Leicester had one win in about 7 games prior to playing us so whilst they are 3rd they haven't been playing like it, reinas mistake was dreadful but it could have been 3 or 4 down already at that point, we looked like conceding off every set play we defended and posed pretty much 0 threat in attack. The issue I have is not so much the results but the actual performances we are putting in. We played Southampton the other week, the side with the worst home record in the league and let them have 20+ shots and actually walk all over us for 90 minutes, Bournemouth battered us as well! Absolutely massive games and we didn't even turn up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

Leicester had one win in about 7 games prior to playing us so whilst they are 3rd they haven't been playing like it, reinas mistake was dreadful but it could have been 3 or 4 down already at that point, we looked like conceding off every set play we defended and posed pretty much 0 threat in attack. The issue I have is not so much the results but the actual performances we are putting in. We played Southampton the other week, the side with the worst home record in the league and let them have 20+ shots and actually walk all over us for 90 minutes, Bournemouth battered us as well! Absolutely massive games and we didn't even turn up. 

These are fair comments. Me thinks the cup final got a little into the players heads as prior to this our results against fellow basement dwellers were solid.

A performance is needed more than anything this weekend.

6 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree - but in Smith's defence the players are committing individual howlers week on week. If we look at last night

Reinas mistake is disgraceful - no manager can account for that.

The penalty - terrible defending by Mings, and a shocker from VAR

After that it becomes a bit of a joke game.

But I think Smith should take a lot of  responsibility for some areas i.e. Zonal marking, playing players when out of form (Eg Guilbert), playing players out of position (Jack)

To say all would be well if we got rid of Smith - I don''t think it would be, if I thought it would I'd sack him now.

BUT....If players, especially good players are continually making mistakes then you have to look at the manager. Is he simplifying his instructions to the players, Is he expecting too much from individuals, Is he creating more problems asking players to play in a way they are not  used to? It's easy to always blame players but when the same shit happens week after week you have to start asking questions of the coaching and management and what they doing to remedy this. 

20 minutes ago, jim said:

When we are 13th in the Championship and still leaking goals like a sieve? 

He'll get 2 months at the start of next season.

If we are in this position he'll get sacked then yes.

Can't think of anyone who would come to us now I'd prefer to him going into next season. Feel free to suggest someone.

28 minutes ago, villakram said:

Panic, panic! 

We do have an arrogant entitled fanbase, somebody even messaged me yesterday saying we dont have players like Leicester

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

There isn't one positive you could fire off about the team right now.

People say we played well against Man City, the truth is we were a little more organised than usual and up for the fight as it was a cup final, despite the corner that never was we still would have lost as Man City were far better than us without really getting out of first gear.

There were games in the first half of the season where we found a way to play and looked half decent, but the mistakes have always been there from day one and the games where anyone has found any form are far behind us.

On the basis of that....and i agree.

what do we do now?..... keep our nerve and lose another 10 games to know what we know now, or change it.

many of us have been here before.....he has lost the plot, there are too many issues now.

this is where leadership, leads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

On the basis of that....and i agree.

what do we do now?..... keep our nerve and lose another 10 games to know what we know now, or change it.

many of us have been here before.....he has lost the plot, there are too many issues now.

this is where leadership, leads.

This, I find talk of a ”summer evaluation” laughable.

we’re not like Norwich supporters because we’re not historically a yo-yo club. There’s an expectation that we compete, it should never be acceptable for this club to get beat 8-1 on aggregate by Leicester never regardless of their form. An absolute joke it’s toxic now I hope cabbages come our against Chelsea

Â