Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

The "new structure" was supposed to give us stability so we could hire and fire people without upsetting the stability. plug and play back room staff. like the club everyone dreams of being... brentford.

It's time Villa started acting like a big club, by bringing in big name manager like Benitez and following through with big ambitions.

We need owners who give are concerned and are not afraid to make ruthless decisions. That is a sign of a well run club. not people who sit on their hands.

It's not going to be Benitez thou. He's in China on a newly signed £12m /season contract.

That's probably about 10 times what we are paying Smith.

1 minute ago, sne said:

It's not going to be Benitez thou. He's in China on a newly signed £12m /season contract.

That's probably about 10 times what we are paying Smith.

doesn't have to be rafa.

A fresh voice would give us a bouce and see us over the line.

could be sven....he was in the sky studios last night telling the world what smith should be doing

30 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think the point is that while none of the players brought in has been a "bad" signing per se (I genuinely believe this), they are all of a similar "squad player" standard.

Can you point to a single new signing who has dramatically improved the team? I'd say Heaton is the only major upgrade, and Targett on a good day. None of the other signings is a significant upgrade on the player they replaced. That's why the best performing players in the team - Grealish, Mings, McGinn, El Ghazi - are the same ones who performed well last season.

Purslow made a mistake not treating this season as a "transition" season - i.e. being willing to break some of his rules on loans, youth, etc. to ensure survival.

We could have loaned an extra striker as backup to Wesley. We could have signed or loaned a more experienced midfielder to take the pressure off McGinn, Douglas and Nakamba (not waiting until January, when the only available player was Danny Drinkwater). I don't think FFP would have stopped us from doing this.

If you genuinely don't think player quality is a major factor, then I think just look objectively at where all our signings have played previously, and what their stats were. These were all "moneyball" signings to some extent, with the exception of Heaton (and I guess Douglas, but he's one for the future).

That's a good point about the loans.  It just seemed to be restricting ourselves unnecessarily to me.  I'm with those who think Smith is the best person to bring us back up, I don't think it's a case that getting relegated is a sackable offence considering the circumstances.  I'm not convinced anyone else would be more likely to keep us up with this group from now on unless someone of the calibre of Rafa would be available and willing to do the same job as at Newcastle.  I think that was a one off for him tbh, albeit our owners are less shit than Ashley.

Just now, screwdriver said:

doesn't have to be rafa.

A fresh voice would give us a bouce and see us over the line.

could be sven....he was in the sky studios last night telling the world what smith should be doing

Oh dear god no not Sven!

Love the guy for what he did at IFK Göteborg and Sampdoria but his time is long gone.

4-4-2 with high press and enjoying high end call girls with the players is not the short term fix we need. 

Terry might agree thou.

But if they can find the right guy then sure, why not.

3 hours ago, mykeyb said:

We cannot keep a clean sheet, we couldnt last year in the championship. We will not be promoted with Dean Smith in charge........in my opinion.

Yeah, it would never happen. Except for the one time in one attempts. 

Do clubs need a long term strategy , of course but its also a results business in the here and now .You won't reach your goals in the future if you can perform in the present .To just let us go down with this assumption we will come back up is extremely naive ..it also doesn't account for us losing ground on the teams still in the PL.   

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Thing is a new manager COULD keep us up (but by no means a guarantee)

My worry, like I said in the new manager thread, is that the kind of manager we'd get in for that job, like Allardyce, would give us no future. 

Would we be better off going down for a season with Smith, keeping the majority of the team together, and coming back up in a much stronger position; or scraping survival under someone like Allardyce, having probably a poor season next season and sacking him that summer anyway.

We'd literally be repeating 2015 with Sherwood. People just don't learn from history. Just falling back to the same comfort food whenever things get a little rough. Doomed to repeat this cycle for eternity. Thankfully our ownership seem steadfast in doing it differently, for better or worse in the short term.

• Like 2

How come though if we have, say, four not-quite-good-enough managers, we HAVE to stick with the last one because apparently we can't keep chopping and changing? I say you can and you should until you get the right one. Don't just stick with what you have in the hope it works out and call it "long term planning and building" when it is clearly failing.

Might just be being petulant but I am truly sick of Villa being a joke.

8 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

How come though if we have, say, four not-quite-good-enough managers, we HAVE to stick with the last one because apparently we can't keep chopping and changing? I say you can and you should until you get the right one. Don't just stick with what you have in the hope it works out and call it "long term planning and building" when it is clearly failing.

How do you know which is the right one if you keep sacking them as soon as things go bad?

I don't know if Smith is the right man. But maybe the club does?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Might just be being petulant but I am truly sick of Villa being a joke.

Doing things this way, you'll never get the right one unless you stumble on the next Guardiola somehow because the minute things start going bad (and they typically do for newly promoted teams) you'll sack him anyway.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Doing things this way, you'll never get the right one unless you stumble on the next Guardiola somehow because the minute things start going bad (and they typically do for newly promoted teams) you'll sack him anyway.

While I do agree to an extent, I think this is something that generally shouldn't be extended in to the middle of March.

You can count on one hand games where we've really, genuinely, looked the better team. I think giving someone the boot a dozen games in to the season is a bit reactionary. But we've played nearly 30 games now and we're only getting worse.

I think the key is whether the players believe in the manager, and I don't think the ones we have do. Once that is lost, the manager has to go. 

• Like 1

Having a long term plan is good, but if our manager has shown that he's out of his depth at Premier League level then should we give him time to grow? Or do we need to bite the bullet yet again and employ a manager who really is the finished article?

It's the manager's job to develop the squad, so can we afford for Dean to continue to be the main man when he hasn't yet shown that he is able to learn lessons and adjust to this league after more than two thirds of a season?

I'm not calling for Smith's head because I like him a lot, but I do wonder whether we need to harden our hearts and accept that Villa may be too big a job for Dean?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

The "new structure" was supposed to give us stability so we could hire and fire people without upsetting the stability. plug and play back room staff

I can't believe I'm saying it, but Screwdriver is spot on. 

If we've gotten ourselves in to a position where Dean Smith is the only option, then we're doomed. It's compounded even more when we rely on a manager who relies on one player.

11 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I can't believe I'm saying it, but Screwdriver is spot on. 

If we've gotten ourselves in to a position where Dean Smith is the only option, then we're doomed. It's compounded even more when we rely on a manager who relies on one player.

I agree we should of had a plan B if thing's where not working out , I wonder if part of sticking with him is Purslow now wanting to admit he made the mistake as Smith was his call ( Granted the owners apparantly wanted Henry who would have been worse ) 

At this rate we wont just be relegated we will go down bottom devoid of any confidence and will have to regroup its simply not that easy. We made the mistake of sticking with Bruce too long and almost cost us we shouldn't make the same again IMO 

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

Yeah, it would never happen. Except for the one time in one attempts. 

An incredible run of 10 straight wins which coincided with Jack coming back. Where were we before the run started?

Sorry I don't want to have to go up through the play offs again eithet

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

An incredible run of 10 straight wins which coincided with Jack coming back. Where were we before the run started?

Sorry I don't want to have to go up through the play offs again eithet

Just pointing out the obvious flaw in saying we won’t be promoted with Smith. We already have. 

Â