Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yet we are still 17th and not in the relegation zone after two thirds of the season.

The reason we are 17th is because the teams around us are dropping points, Not because we are winning games.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

The reason we are 17th is because the teams around us are dropping points, Not because we are winning games.

Agreed but we are still 17th.  

So many are saying we are done for and we can’t see us winning another game, our fixture list coming up is so hard, our recruitment has failed, our players aren’t good enough. 

We still are 17th, the teams around us are just as bad as us and none of them can see where they are going to win their next game because they concede easy and can’t score.  

We are 17th, we still have this in our own hands to survive and 11 games to do that with.

I don’t know where the next point is coming from, how we stop conceding so many goals and how we start scoring more but again we are 17th after 27 games, despite everything (and there is a lot of validity to what people are saying) but we are 17th.....c’mon the Villa boys!!! Have faith!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

One thing I've thought about quite a lot lately is training. Does anyone else think that Smith might be overworking players in training throughout the week? Quite a few games we've looked a bit sluggish/lethargic from the off. 

I don't think half an hour of keepy-uppy then the rest of the day down the boozer is overworking them.

I don't think tactics were the issue against SOU...the execution was just really, really poor. That falls on the players. And sorry not sorry, these are grown men, Dean shouldn't have to bang on the drum to get them to put a shift in and actually do the bare minimum in their positions. I'd say at least 6 or 7 of them couldn't muster that Saturday.

If Smith doesn't drastically change the system and how we play, I think we're doomed. This playing out from the back when most of the players struggle with the ball at their feet simply isn't working. Teams are just pressing us high up the pitch and we're causing ourselves so many problems. Southampton had a game plan against us and it was so obvious we were struggling after the first 10 minutes and yet Smith didn't change it. 

If I was employed to watch Villa from an opposition perspective, it would be so easy to counter what we try and do. 

I know it's ugly, but get Davis in the team, stick him up top with Samatta and pump balls up to him and build from there. Tell Samatta to run for the potential flick on and Grealish/McGinn to look for the knock down. F*** the rest of them, they're mostly rubbish. 

• Like 4

We need a change of formation ASAP. The problem is that the 3 at the back becomes a 5, and then the 2 man midfield just constantly gets overrun. It results in us conceding close to 20 chances every single game, and that ladies and gentlemen is why we don’t win enough games, and find ourselves 17th in the league.

Also factor in that we are too easy for teams to work out due to the fact we set up the same for pretty much every match. We were 4-3-3 at the start of the season and it’s been 3-4-3 since Burnley away on NYD (5-2-3). I feel DS needs to mix it up a bit, or it’s starting to look bleak.

He changed the shape after we lost badly to Leicester, got lucky against Norwich and then battered by Watford.  It worked against Burnley but I think a lot of that was down to Mings returning rather than having a back 3. 

Even though we managed a few good results with this formation I think when looking at the season as a whole we look a better team as a 433.

Â