Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You lost me here. Do you really not think we'll win another game all season? 

That feels overly negative to me.

i said on the train saturday morning that i absolutely believe that we will not win another away game. after saturday i'll be surprised to win another game.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

You are certainly not delusional and I am not a defeatist.....I have as much hope as Billy Graham, I just think we are in a very precarious situation.

If is a little word, with a colossal meaning.....We all know we are capable, but events are reality.

We are not in the bottom, in name only, but hanging over the cliff by our finger nails.

Despite our comments we are still cose to saying the same thing, I think you are more forgiving, than me for the plight we find ourselves in.

I don't know if I am any more forgiving mate as I was fuming with the effortless crap I saw on Saturday.

For me though every team in the bottom 6 at the moment is poor and will have major deficiencies in their game, conceding too many, not scoring enough, crap from set pieces, vulnerable out wide, wide open through the middle etc etc. Every team in the bottom 6 is also in very poor form. You can either be glass half empty about all this and doom and gloom or you can be glass half full and believe that we can continue to be better than 2 of the other 4 teams in the mix for the last two relegation places and believe that we will be one of the sides who can pick up their form and still be outside the bottom 3 come 4:55pm on 17th May. Given every other side is in dire form at the bottom I certainly see no reason, other than beating yourself up, to be positive about their chances of picking up form and negative about ours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i said on the train saturday morning that i absolutely believe that we will not win another away game. after saturday i'll be surprised to win another game.

We'll win another game. I'm certain of it. We're a bad team but we're also capable of scoring and winning, and that doesn't mean that we nick a scrappy goal in an otherwise shit 90 minutes. We are capable of out-playing good sides. Look at the Spurs game, we outplayed them for the first half and, considering the chances we had, should have been 3-0 up by the time Engels gave them a penalty.

I think we're definitely capable of getting something from the Chelsea, Newcastle, Wolves, Man Utd, Palace, Everton, Arsenal and West Ham games, especially the home games with a fired-up Villa Park. The remaining games against Leicester, Liverpool and Sheffield United are the games that I think we'll really struggle in, but even those aren't write-offs in my opinion.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You lost me here. Do you really not think we'll win another game all season? 

That feels overly negative to me.

Yes, sadly I feel that way right now. I really hope I'm wrong.

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Even before that honestly.

I do not rate Drinkwater but him or Hourihane alongside Nakamba and Luiz offers more than what an additional CB does IMO. 

And since our wide options are so terrible perhaps go 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2?

I agree, the 3 centre backs are not offering us anything right now. It worked at Burnley because they weren't prepared for it and it worked against Leicester and Watford, but overall it has been detrimental in other games. City pasted us, Bournemouth ran us ragged in midfield, Brighton would have done us over if not for Luiz and Grealish, Spurs exposed our lack of pace to get in behind and Southampton made us look like a Sunday League side. I'd be changing back to a back 4 before McGinn is back, do it in the cup final, there's nothing to lose anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, vreitti said:

Yes, sadly I feel that way right now. I really hope I'm wrong.

I hope so too. This whole season has been peaks and troughs. 

We got 7 points from Burnley, Norwich and Brighton in the early weeks of the season, and then we went on to lose against Man City, Liverpool and Wolves. The first set of results saw us looking up, getting excited and thinking about survival, then the losses came and we started to panic.

In my opinion, we just need to not get too excited about wins, and not get too downbeat about losses.

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

We'll win another game. I'm certain of it. We're a bad team but we're also capable of scoring and winning, and that doesn't mean that we nick a scrappy goal in an otherwise shit 90 minutes. We are capable of out-playing good sides. Look at the Spurs game, we outplayed them for the first half and, considering the chances we had, should have been 3-0 up by the time Engels gave them a penalty.

I think we're definitely capable of getting something from the Chelsea, Newcastle, Wolves, Man Utd, Palace, Everton, Arsenal and West Ham games, especially the home games with a fired-up Villa Park. The remaining games against Leicester, Liverpool and Sheffield United are the games that I think we'll really struggle in, but even those aren't write-offs in my opinion.

You're probably right. Problem is, winning another game won't be enough. By all logic we need to win three more games to even stand a chance. I admire your optimism, but we don't stand a chance against Chelsea, Manure, Everton or Arsenal at the moment. Form is of course not everlasting, and I agree we're capable of scoring. However it won't matter much if we don't stop leaking goals.

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I agree, the 3 centre backs are not offering us anything right now. It worked at Burnley because they weren't prepared for it and it worked against Leicester and Watford, but overall it has been detrimental in other games. City pasted us, Bournemouth ran us ragged in midfield, Brighton would have done us over if not for Luiz and Grealish, Spurs exposed our lack of pace to get in behind and Southampton made us look like a Sunday League side. I'd be changing back to a back 4 before McGinn is back, do it in the cup final, there's nothing to lose anyway.

Other than a cup final. But yeah, I too would go back to the 4-3-3.

By our next league game we could be cup winners, qualified for Europe and 17th with games in hand. 

The fact that's even a possibility should stop the hounding for Smith to be removed. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Sacking Smith now won't change anything. Our fixture list is too brutal for a new manager to come in.

Change should have been made at Christmas when he had already showed tactical inability. Arsenal and West Ham games come to mind.

We're better off sticking with Smith till the end of the season. It's our best chance of survival.

you said this yesturday in the premier league thread 

This race isn't over yet.

This is exactly why Smith shouldn't have slated his players in public. Keep it behind closed doors!

I'm worried on the effect it will have on the players.

We will see in the coming weeks. 

please tell me whats changed?! 

10 minutes ago, vreitti said:

How many points did it yield?

The usual amount in a cup.

I guess recently beating a full strength Leicester side over 2 legs means we clearly aren’t capable of winning again for the rest of the season. 

The level of negativity is baffling. I’m surprised some fans can get out of bed in the morning.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villaluke said:

This is exactly why Smith shouldn't have slated his players in public. Keep it behind closed doors!

it was actually a refreshing change from complaining about perfectly correct referring decisions

7 minutes ago, villaluke said:

That's the thing with these post game interviews. If we lose a game it's a no win situation and no matter what he says it's the wrong thing to say.

If he doesn't criticize the players then he "doesn't take the loss seriously enough" and if he does criticize the players then "he is throwing them under the bus". 

Guess he can come out and say it was all his fault to appease the fans but I really don't see why anyone puts any stock into what managers says in these interviews.

They are just a rehearsed regurgitation of platitudes, has absolutely no bearing on what is said behind closed doors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

The least I want to see is 100% effort, the defeats I can take. El Ghazi acted like he had been punched by Tyson Fury. Very much doubt he will start the final. 

Doesnt deserve, absoloute embarrassment and cost us a sub early on. 

44 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Other than a cup final. But yeah, I too would go back to the 4-3-3.

Most people think we've already lost it before kicking a ball. I just think we'd stand more of a chance switching from a back 3.

Â