Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

A whisker away from 433 which wasn’t working, however you work it up you are literally having the same formation pre going to 3 at the back.

Yes I know it's just my opinion that we need three in the centre of midfield and our attacking midfielders not hugging the touchlines. The full backs should be doing that. So in attack that line of three sits and ahead of it you have the two attacking midfielders and the two full backs in a line of 4. But then what the f*** do I know?😀

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I disagree I think it’s our central midfield that might cost us.  Opposition teams just walk through it and I believe it’s one of the main reasons we have so many attempts against us.  Our defence isn’t good but doesn’t help if they have no protection from midfield.

The players in there could do better but Bournemouth and Soton both had a extra man in there and swarmed all over our 2 , our problem is unlike Wolves and Shef United our CB's are not able to push forward enough to help in CM when we are out numbered. There is no pragmatism ..we start game and can't get on the ball , so te get Grealish and AEG to drop deeper support mf and take sting out of game then regroup ..no we just carry on as we are losing the ball in midfield.

Edited by Nabby

6 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The players in there could do better but Bournemouth and Soton both had a extra man in there and swarmed all over our 2 , our problem is unlike Wolves and Shef United our CB's are not able to push forward enough to help in CM when we are out numbered. There is no pragmatism ..we start game and can't get on the ball , so tell get Grealish and AEG to drop deeper support mf and take sting out of game then regroup ..no we just carry on as we are losing the ball in midfield.

correct the team are set up so predictably its EMBARRASSING to watch, im totally speechless how naive our coaches and Dean Smith are. Its an absolute joke!!! 

Both Sheffield United and Wolves play with three central midfielders, Wolves started last season with just the two as that's how they played in the championship but in the Premier league they were getting overrun playing like that so had to bring Dendoncker into the team, bascially changed from 523 to 532.

Which of our players would leave do we think if we got relegated?

I fully expect grealish, Luiz and possibly McGinn to go.

I do wonder if Mings would go?, I can almost see him staying for one season to try and help us get back up, maybe mcginn also?

I think grealish is probably gone whether we stay up or go down.

Edited by MaVilla

I wouldn't let any of them go. for the following reasons

1) as punishment for this season

q)because they're all under contract (unless they have relegation release clauses, but why would Villa do that to themselves? they would have to sign 15 players again in the summer. This is the circus Purslow says he wants to get away from)

4)If the ship goes down. the captain goes down with it. Jack stays.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I wouldn't let any of them go. for the following reasons

1) as punishment for this season

q)because they're all under contract (unless they have relegation release clauses, but why would Villa do that to themselves? they would have to sign 15 players again in the summer. This is the circus Purslow says he wants to get away from)

4)If the ship goes down. the captain goes down with it. Jack stays.

I astonishingly agree with you, but Jack would have to go purely for financial reasons IMO. Everything else aside.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Both Sheffield United and Wolves play with three central midfielders, Wolves started last season with just the two as that's how they played in the championship but in the Premier league they were getting overrun playing like that so had to bring Dendoncker into the team, bascially changed from 523 to 532.

Shef United play with 3 in the middle , with 2 strikers playing off each other - they rotate the strikers as well.

Wolves when I have seen have been 3-4-3 with Neves and Mountinho in the middle Doherty and Johnny as wing backs and a front thee of Traore /Jimenz and Jota 

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Wolves hardly ever play with a front three anymore if ever, it's always a three man midfield of Neves, Moutinho and Dednonker, if one of those is injured Saiss comes in, then play two up front Raul with either Jota or Traore in a supporting role, Traore also sometimes plays as a right sided wing-back for them.

Looking at some of their recent fixtures it looks like they have switched back to a two man midfield, but for most of last season and until recently this season they had been playing with a three man midfield

Edited by useless

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Which of our players would leave do we think if we got relegated?

I fully expect grealish, Luiz and possibly McGinn to go.

I do wonder if Mings would go?, I can almost see him staying for one season to try and help us get back up, maybe mcginn also?

I think grealish is probably gone whether we stay up or go down.

When were relegated   -   Mings Graelish and McGinn will all go  - if were honest who would want anyone else

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Jack is gone regardless if we stay or we go. I'd actually feel bad for him if we kept him it really is that bad. I got laughed off when I said we should use the Jan window to prepare for the championship, feel like we really wasted that window. Shame.

no one is laughing now TBF . We are going down IMO and maybe only Norwich below us. 

It’s incredible that the manager cannot fathom that we’re not good enough to go with just the two midfielders, especially away from home. We must pack the midfield every game and try to stop offering up so many chances to the opposition, and leave Grealish & Samatta to try and steal a goal. We’re playing ourselves back to the championship if we continue with philosophy over practicality.

I have us down as favorites to go down as it stands, but I certainly don't have a firm conviction that us going down is definitely going to be the case, we're not even in the relegation zone, can't give up yet, there's still eleven games left to play. It's not even if we're lucky to be outside the relegation zone either, as twenty five points is usually enough to keep a team out of the bottom three at this stage.

18 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

He has not changed this since day 1. An this fella's is why we will go down with Smith. He is trying to play Championship football still at this level, he was always gonna fail.  Some saw this from day 1 in the Prem, some were too busy loving Smith cause he was a Villa man through and through.

I am so desperate not to go down, but if we do, Smith will be to blame, so I won't want him managing my club in the Championship again thanks very much.

An you can argue all you like about the players not being good enough. True they are not good enough to win the Premier League, maybe not even midtable, but they sure are good enough to get us to a League cup final beating a quality Leicester side, an to at least keep us in the Premier League.

The better managers work out ways and systems to play, with the personnel they have got ....the not so good ones have a bit of success somewhere and stick  rigidly to that succes they have found.

Dean from day 1 has failed to set our team up to be able to keep a clean sheet, he has been so focused/obssessed with the spectacle ( very noble some might say) he has failed to find a system to stop the opposition, our style actually encourages the opposition in lieu of discouraging them....I also think we have recruited to suit his style, hence of a lack of players to play the tighter game.

I cannot avoid saying its naive Football.....and it is not the first time I have seen managers do this and fail.

You cannot go in to a league like this with such a complete disregard to defending as a team.....I still think his main problem derives from midfield, but it has now spread through the team and is affecting everyone.

If a problem is not dealt with properly and swiftly  it exasperates and gains momentum like a forest fire and that is where we are.

52 goals against doesn't come in a few games.....The problem has been there all season and if anything, its got worse, not better......I genuinely don't think Dean Knows what to do.

He has tried dropping players and moving them around, he has changed formations 4-3-3- to 3-4-3 to no real avail, sure injuries have hampered him.....but his philosophy is flawed, he shows scant appreciation of the art of defending, that is the central issue IMO as to whats gone wrong.

I am not professing to say, we want a Steve Bruce type back or a Tony Pulis....but a manager, with a balanced approach to Defence and Attack, in balanced measures would have served us better.

We set up like Man City or Liverpool.....with only one of our players capable of playing like that.....I am unsure if many of the players are simply not good enough or they are just not set up or coached properly, I suspect its a bit of both.....but the manager is ultimatley responsible for this rancid and shambolic defending.

If he stands by and watches these displays, with a look of disbelief on his face and a response to say the players are so poor, he obviously is not expecting his players to play like that, which means he has little control over them......something is most seriously wrong at B6 right now.....eventually gaps in relatonships will appear and as blame is dished out, players coaches etc will defend themselves and problems become clearer to the likes of us.

I have seen these situations in the past, where issues have not been dealt with adequately and they have grown to a point so much is wrong the manager gets suffocated with it all.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

The better managers work out ways and systems to play, with the personnel they have got ....the not so good ones have a bit of success somewhere and stick  rigidly to that succes they have found.

Dean from day 1 has failed to set our team up to be able to keep a clean sheet, he has been so focused/obssessed with the spectacle ( very noble some might say) he has failed to find a system to stop the opposition, our style actually encourages the opposition in leiu of discouraging them....I also think we have recruited to suit his style, hence of a lack of players to play the tighter game.

I cannot avoid saying its naive Football.....and it is not the first time I have seen managers do this and fail.

You cannot go in to a league like this with such a complete disregard to defending as a team.....I still think his main problem derives from midfield, but it has now spread through the team and is affecting everyone.

If a problem is not dealt with properly and swiftly  it exasperates and gains momentum like a forest fire and that is where we are.

52 goals against doesn't come in a few games.....The problem has been there all season and if anything, its got worse, not better......I genuinely don't think Dean Knows what to do.

He has tried dropping players and moving them around, he has changed formations 4-3-3- to 3-4-3 to no real avail, sure injuries have hampered him.....but his philosophy is flawed, he shows scant appreciation of the art of defending, that is the central issue IMO as to whats gone wrong.

I am not professing to say, we want a Steve Bruce type back or a Tony Pulis....but a manager, with a balanced approach to Defence and Attack, in balanced measures would have served us better.

We set up like Man City or Liverpool.....with only one of our players capable of playing like that.....I am unsure if many of the players are simply not good enough or they are just not set up or coached properly, I suspect its a bit of both.....but the manager is ultimatley responsible for this rancid and shambolic defending.

If he stands by and watches these displays, with a look of disbelief on his face and a response to say the players are so poor, he obviously is not expecting his players to play like that, which means he has little control over them......something is most seriously wrong at B6 right now.

Great points here 

Both formations we have tried keep 3 attackers on pitch but it's leaving us to open and as they front 3 are spread across the pitch they don't link well , hence why Samatta is already suffering the Wesley issue of being isolated and chasing around defenders passing around him.

McGinn coming back will help but up to his injury we were not great , its not like our performances dropped the minute he was injured we already had issues and infact McGinn was not playing great  ( Likely in part to carrying an injury ) 

On the player's side it seems as obvious now as it did in Summer we needed an exp CB ..as this may have helped some of the positional and organisation issues at the back

The turning on players and saying they are training ground players , does he mean in training we can defend ? We are good at set pieces both attacking and defending  ?I find it an ironic comment , if anything I look at how we play and am left wondering match after match  what does on go in training as we don't look prepared in most games.

30 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Great points here 

Both formations we have tried keep 3 attackers on pitch but it's leaving us to open and as they front 3 are spread across the pitch they don't link well , hence why Samatta is already suffering the Wesley issue of being isolated and chasing around defenders passing around him.

McGinn coming back will help but up to his injury we were not great , its not like our performances dropped the minute he was injured we already had issues and infact McGinn was not playing great  ( Likely in part to carrying an injury ) 

On the player's side it seems as obvious now as it did in Summer we needed an exp CB ..as this may have helped some of the positional and organisation issues at the back

The turning on players and saying they are training ground players , does he mean in training we can defend ? We are good at set pieces both attacking and defending  ?I find it an ironic comment , if anything I look at how we play and am left wondering match after match  what does on go in training as we don't look prepared in most games.

Totally Agree.

Another observation is.....we have  played 2 wingers all season and it was not until Samatta scored, that was the first headed goal in game 24 or 25 not sure......why persist with 2 wingers, if there is no one to head the ball up front?......What exactly have these wingers been doing?...They can't dribble, they rarely go past anyone,and drift in and out of games..... why persist with 2 ,surely under such circumstances 1 would suffice......giving more meat and physical presence in the middle.

There are so many questions, unanswered.

• Like 1

Â