Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Just said in match thread though - the guys who thought it a good idea to give him a bumper contract in November - will be the ones choosing the next manager - be wary of looking to the boardroom for salvation, because pulling rabbits out of hats isn't a habit they have.

so very true.

59 minutes ago, supermon said:

Need to go back to a back 4, Konsa and Hause need dropping and bring back Engels back into the defence. 

Guilbert, Engels, Mings Targett is probably our best defensive line up. 

I agree. We need to get more players into the middle of the park and the only way to do that is change formation.

I'd go to a 4-3-1-2 with a midfield 3 and Grealish just behind a front 2 and do away with the wide men. It would give us more bodies in the middle of the park, Grealish can be more involved from the middle and roam rather than stuck out wide, Samatta would benefit from someone alongside him and we could go a bit more back to front if need be rather than feel we have to fanny about trying to pass our way forwards. I'd use that formation next week and hopefully bed it in before we get back to the league games which are the only games that really matter.

It doesn't matter what formation we play though we need everyone giving their all as more effortless tripe like today and we could sneak 5 more players on the pitch and we'd still get f all. When we are at it we have shown we can give most sides a game and at the very least I'd like to think today is a watershed and as low as we get and Smith can get a reaction from the players and minds focused for the remaining games.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, PrimevalVillan said:

I saw what Dean saw....honestly. No complaints about the formation or the subs. All made sense to me. These guys are professionals and at a certain point they have to do their part and barely any of them did anything correctly today. Guilbert, Konsa, Reina really, really bad today. 

So you have no complaints about the fact that he made no change to the team despite seeing us getting mauled in that first half until an hour has passed? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Have to disagree a bit.  The team he put out was the best we had and shape and tactics looked fine.  There are things we should be doing more of and some less of....I personally think we should press defensively more....anyway, generally the rest seemed fine.

You can’t really argue tactics based on the performance today, that was too many players playing badly.  The performance of those players compared to even the Spurs game was light and day.....too many of the players today need to be ashamed of their performance today.

I’m taking any fault away from Smith but those players were a disgrace today for the effort today!

Ultimately Managers have to be responsible for their players, (they are the captain of the ship) Their influence should be contagious and the players buy in to their enthusiasm and drive, they should emulate the discipline the manager exudes & demands.

He sets all the standards.

If a dog is all over the place, boisterous and disruptive, not doing as he is told.....as opposed to one that obeys orders sits contently and is under control........you blame or credit the owner/trainer.

It is much the same......The manager has lost it.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree. We need to get more players into the middle of the park and the only way to do that is change formation.

I'd go to a 4-3-1-2 with a midfield 3 and Grealish just behind a front 2 and do do away with the wide men. It would give us more bodies in the middle of the park, Grealish can be more involved from the middle and roam rather than stuck out wide, Samatta would benefit from someone alongside him and we could go a bit more back to front if need be rather than feel we have to fanny about trying to pass our way forwards. I'd use that formation next week and hopefully bed it in before we get back to the league games which are the only games that really matter.

It doesn't matter what formation we play though we need everyone giving their all as more effortless tripe like today and we could sneak 5 more players on the pitch and we'd still get f all. When we are at it we have shown we can give most sides a game and at the very least I 'd like to think today is a watershed and as low as we get and Smith can get a reaction from the players and minds focused for the remaining games.

I tend to agree with getting rid of the wide men.We are too open we need to shore up the middle of the park , from the start today we where overwhelmed in CM.We are also repeating the same mistake with Samatta as with Wesley of leaving him isolated upfront

I think also that the way we lost the spurs game had an effected on some players.The weight all on Jack was starting to tell today as he was losing the ball and holding on to it too long in the 2nd half.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We need McGinn back. Smith needs him back as well. We also need to come up with something different going forward as both El Ghazi and Trezeguet are far too inconsistent / shit.

One of the only players you can NEVER accuse of not putting in a fight, regardless of fight, we need more of those ffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe Play 541 or 451, Bring Engels back in and give him a chance to settle ffs, he looks better than Konsa or Hause in his general play and better than them all in his distribution, including Mings. Then play 3 from Gilbert, Target, Hause, Konsa , Elmo Taylor.

Drop Elgahzi and play 3 from  Hourihane Douglas Nakamba Drinkwater alongside Jack. Samatta up front . 

He needs to change what we are doing and quickly , hes got to work with what we have as a squad and the two in midfield is not working with our shit distribution from defence and the disjointed wings backs who are contributing nothing to the midfield and very little up front and cause confusion with defensive duties..

...Change it , it cant be any worse than what i have witnessed today 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

...Change it , it cant be any worse than what i have witnessed today 

It’s hard to argue with the sentiment but the team today was exactly the same bar Nyland as the team that beat Leicester 4/5 games ago (although I’ll whisper that Davis came on and played very well). We don’t have the squad depth to make wholesale changes without probably making us a lot worse.

I agree though, 3 at the back died today.

35 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Have to disagree a bit.  The team he put out was the best we had and shape and tactics looked fine.  There are things we should be doing more of and some less of....I personally think we should press defensively more....anyway, generally the rest seemed fine.

You can’t really argue tactics based on the performance today, that was too many players playing badly.  The performance of those players compared to even the Spurs game was light and day.....too many of the players today need to be ashamed of their performance today.

I’m taking any fault away from Smith but those players were a disgrace today for the effort today!

28 shots allowed today, 18 against Spurs, 16 against Bournemouth, 22 against Leicester, 22 against City (only 8 vs Watford though). The defensive tactics are pretty bad to allow so many shots. As you said, more defensive pressing is needed. You're right though - the main problem today was the players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Ultra negative? I want what's best for the club i love.

To what some people may or may not think i do not hate Dean Smith. I don't have anything personal against the man. There is no agenda.

I simply don't rate him and feel he is harmful to the club. Mid table finishes with Brentford and Walsall should never be good enough credentials for the Villa job.

Never felt so embarrassed and low being a Villa fan as this season. People think i'm trolling, i'm not. I'm in deep pain.

See, when you say that, it makes me think you are a kid, just signed up to the Villa or, you have memory loss in the last few seasons because, believe me, the last Premier League season was by far the worst season of being a Villa fan in my 48 years. 

• Like 4

Why can't he just stick Jack in the centre every game? Playing on the left with Targett seems to stop Targett bombing forward himself which is what he's good at! This chopping and changing is doing my nut and clearly not helping our cause :(

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t get over how bad we were today. Is this the beginning of the end for Smith as head coach? 

That was almost (a couple of exclusions who actually tried) a team of players who pretty much knew they were certain of playing at Wembley next week and didn't want to risk missing out through injury so never gave their all.

The fact they gifted 3 points to Southampton is worrying. Maybe they feel OK at playing Championship football next season or have prior knowledge to better climes should we go down. Grealish is included in that because today he was rubbish! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, birdman said:

Why can't he just stick Jack in the centre every game? Playing on the left with Targett seems to stop Targett bombing forward himself which is what he's good at! This chopping and changing is doing my nut and clearly not helping our cause :(

Absolutely agree that Jack should play behind the striker every game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Absolutely agree that Jack should play behind the striker every game. 

At the least when you are losing the ball in MF you move Jack back there and try and get a foot hold into the game , not leave CM a man light and Jack out on the left not getting on the ball.

55 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

No problem. He says below about 15 seconds in that he takes full responsibility.

OK, we will see in the next few weeks if he knows what that implies. Calling out the players and deselecting them from The league cup final won’t do the trick,

I think he needs to go 4 at the back now. 2 lines of midfield then. A three in front of the back four to eventually stop teams running directly at our defence, and then a narrow 2 ahead of them behind the striker. Full backs provide the width and for God's sake move forward and back as a unit. There's always a ridiculous amount of space between our "lines". Intellligent players of which there are a lot in the PL just have a field day and the midfield 2 just get overran every game. 

I'd go 

Doug           Drinkwater         Nakamba

El Ghazi/Hourihane               Grealish

McGinn for Nakamba when he's back or maybe as the advanced midfielder beside Grealish. There needs to be legs around Drinkwater in any case because he can't move.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

28 shots allowed today, 18 against Spurs, 16 against Bournemouth, 22 against Leicester, 22 against City (only 8 vs Watford though). The defensive tactics are pretty bad to allow so many shots. As you said, more defensive pressing is needed. You're right though - the main problem today was the players.

He has not changed this since day 1. An this fella's is why we will go down with Smith. He is trying to play Championship football still at this level, he was always gonna fail.  Some saw this from day 1 in the Prem, some were too busy loving Smith cause he was a Villa man through and through.

I am so desperate not to go down, but if we do, Smith will be to blame, so I won't want him managing my club in the Championship again thanks very much.

An you can argue all you like about the players not being good enough. True they are not good enough to win the Premier League, maybe not even midtable, but they sure are good enough to get us to a League cup final beating a quality Leicester side, an to at least keep us in the Premier League.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think he needs to go 4 at the back now. 2 lines of midfield then. A three in front of the back four to eventually stop teams running directly at our defence, and then a narrow 2 ahead of them behind the striker. Full backs provide the width and for God's sake move forward and back as a unit. There's always a ridiculous amount of space between our "lines". Intellligent players of which there are a lot in the PL just have a field day and the midfield 2 just get overran every game. 

I'd go 

Doug           Drinkwater         Nakamba

El Ghazi/Hourihane               Grealish

McGinn for Nakamba when he's back or maybe as the advanced midfielder beside Grealish. There needs to be legs around Drinkwater in any case because he can't move.

Thats the issue , we are tactically a mess .

Â