Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Absolutely pathetic today. We can debate all we like about formation and personnel but too many played today like they didn't care and Southampton wanted it more which is unforgivable given the position we are in. That has to be put on the manager for not getting enough out of his players.

I don't know what the answer is. By the time we next play a league game those below us will have played 3 times so barring a miracle we will almost certainly be in the bottom 3. Maybe that will focus minds more as today we didn't get out of first gear.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A big , powerful midfielder or 2 was always more important than strikers, as I've been trying to tell people for a while.

No matter what strikers we had, wouldn;t matter.

This has been the case in all 3 windows that Smith has been in charge. Utter negligence not getting at least 1.

There have been signings we should of made and gotten right and signing that we shouldn't of made at all, recruiting got it wrong on many occasions. 

We're now stuck with these players for some seasons, if we go down I can't see this lot being effective enough in the championship's rough league. 

I am really Nervous every game by our squad, and will be more after today's game, there's no way to sort this mess other than sack Smith and pull in a world class Coach.

Edited by Dave-R

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Right, PLEASE give me an alternative that WE CAN GET? 

It's too late.

Our window were at Christmas. The train has passed.

Our fixture list is too brutal. A new coach won't do anything.

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Absolutely pathetic today. We can debate all we like about formation and personnel but too many played today like they didn't care and Southampton wanted it more which is unforgivable given the position we are in. That has to be put on the manager for not getting enough out of his players.

I don't know what the answer is. By the time we next play a league game those below us will have played 3 times so barring a miracle we will almost certainly be in the bottom 3. Maybe that will focus minds more as today we didn't get out of first gear.

Mark, I totally agree about their effort today. I can only assume that the majority wanted to protect themselves for their day out at Wembley. Smith himself alludes to that in his post match comments. He said a few played themselves out of contention. It will be interesting to see which three - at least - he changes. Konsa and El Ghazi are at the front imo. But, today, only Targett and Samatta played anywhere near good enough. 

• Like 3

Just now, Villarocker said:

Mark, I totally agree about their effort today. I can only assume that the majority wanted to protect themselves for their day out at Wembley. Smith himself alludes to that in his post match comments. He said a few played themselves out of contention. It will be interesting to see which three - at least - he changes. Konsa and El Ghazi are at the front imo. But, today, only Targett and Samatta played anywhere near good enough. 

If some players were protecting/saving themselves for the final then that is unforgivable. I hope he does make wholesale changes as that sends out the message that you don't perform you don't play.

In fairness though you get 2 or 3 players not showing up for a game then you can put that on those individuals, you get 7 or 8 then that is on the manager. Smith has said himself that it is on him today but words are not enough are they he has to get a big reaction now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

It's on WM mate.

Exactly that makes it even more unbelievable. The bloke who runs the football section is a tool

(I see it’s all been dismissed now anyway, that’ll teach me to post before reading the rest of the thread).

Edited by mikeyp102

I don’t want to defend Smith today, but we have a few problems that definitely aren’t his fault:

• Questionable signings - we are so much more limited by FFP and our exodus of players last summer than people realise. Add to that the fact that Suso is in charge... this is not the stick to beating Smith with. It’s just wrong.
  • Players not being up for it today - it’s just so obvious that a few players had one eye on the cup final. AEG is a **** word removed, had enough of him. Smith can’t do anything about that.
  • Our over dependence on Grealish. We’re just a very unbalanced squad and McGinn is injured.

But where I will criticise him is in his lack of creativity in thinking through a problem. We are too predictable from week to week. Preparing for a Villa match is too easy for a decent coach. Whether it was the 4-3-3 we used at the start of the season, or the 3-4-3 since Burnley, it’s been trivial to develop a game plan.

Our best performances have come when Smith has done something a bit different - moving Grealish wide vs Norwich, switching to 3-4-3 vs Burnley.

We dominated Newcastle because Steve Bruce doesn’t do any tactical preparation for a match. If oppo don’t have a special plan for Grealish, we can look very good. Sadly there aren’t many (any?) managers as crap as Bruce in the league. Every other team will have a game plan for us, and if the ref doesn’t book people early doors for fouling Grealish, we are guaranteed to lose.

It’s painful.

I know a lot of people are talking about a lack of fight and a lack of bite and a lack of sharpness off the ball - and it’s all true - but I don’t look through that squad and see much in the way of obvious options. We just don’t have the right players.

Smith is doing badly, but sacking him won’t fix this overnight.

• Thanks 1

His bollocking has come 2 months too late.  Should have come out at Christmas. Let these players get away with murder and it has come home to roost.

Serious lack of effort today and Spurs. Personified by their penalty rebound and nobody tracking in and the breakaway goal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

He got us up against all odds to begin with. He's having to learn the hard way in the Premier League but he's a fine Championship manager.

We also wouldn't find a better replacement. 

The drama is mate - he isn't learning at all. I do not want to constantly change manager,  but we cant keep this guy who is TOTALLY out of his depth and becoming a serious embarrassment !

• Like 1

I hope Smith gives these players one helluva rollocking after today. Unforgivable performance.

In all honesty if DS can't get these jackasses motivated then I don't think he is the right man for us.

SO many shots conceeded like wtf!? How is this not sorted?

Â