Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh right - just an assumption based on no-one saying it. Excellent :D 

I was referring to the frequently used (well, not so much anymore, admittedly) chant. No need to read what's not there :) 

Think he's doing a reasonable job then?

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I suspect you will be disappointed. Who else did they have in frame when DS was recruited ?.....Henry ?

We didn't have a sporting director at the time IIRC

Smith has just echoed that the level of performance from the players was dire, that he told them so at half time, and that responsibility for that rests with him.

I agree with him on all counts.

The responsibility for getting a level of performance is on the Coach.

He isn’t responsible for mistakes, skill levels, or players having an off day.

But today we were, to put it in simple terms, out fought. Again.

Thats 100% on him.

Last week we gave a performance full of effort, desire, commitment.

I ranked his performance Very Good.

When those things happen I credit the Coach. 

When they don’t, it’s on the Coach.

When it’s too often, we need to look at whether he’s the right man.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I suspect you will be disappointed. Who else did they have in frame when DS was recruited ?.....Henry ?

We didn't have a sporting director at the time IIRC

8 minutes ago, jim said:

Throwing the players under the bus. That’s the way to get them playing for you Dean! Good job. Prick.

In fairness, the players’ in-game management was utterly terrible. The amount of needless cheap fouls we gave away was shocking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Smith has just echoed that the level of performance from the players was dire, that he told them so at half time, and that responsibility for that rests with him.

I agree with him on all counts.

The responsibility for getting a level of performance is on the Coach.

He isn’t responsible for mistakes, skill levels, or players having an off day.

But today we were, to put it in simple terms, out fought. Again.

Thats 100% on him.

Last week we gave a performance full of effort, desire, commitment.

I ranked his performance Very Good.

When those things happen I credit the Coach. 

When they don’t, it’s on the Coach.

When it’s too often, we need to look at whether he’s the right man.

So he said it was dire at half time, didn’t change anything and put the same players back out.

Genius

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was referring to the frequently used (well, not so much anymore, admittedly) chant. No need to read what's not there :) 

Think he's doing a reasonable job then?

Yeah, definitely.

My concern is that performances generally seem to have dropped off - today was utterly woeful. The squad is pretty weak for the Premier League but with a couple of standout players. Basically got to hope it’s enough to stay up and build. 

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

January was so huge and we just didn't do what we needed to.

Our only hope is the 3 below us somehow continue getting worse results than us. 

A big , powerful midfielder or 2 was always more important than strikers, as I've been trying to tell people for a while.

No matter what strikers we had, wouldn;t matter.

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

So he said it was dire at half time, didn’t change anything and put the same players back out.

Genius

I'm assuming he was hoping that him telling them they were not putting in any effort, would lead them putting in more effort.

However it continued to be pretty bad until we changed the system.

Just depressing all round.

Whilst telling the media the players were crap and this and that it does a great job of avoiding them asking it maybe the tactics were crap or why into the last 3rd of the season the team still look like headless chickens when asked to defend , why do you continue to leave the striker isolated , why when Grealish is marked out of the game on the left do you not change it , why when your 2 man CM is out numbered and you are forced into a sub you decide to just carry on with the same formation ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shame the rumours of the bust up aren't true. At least that would help explain the problems Smith has getting the players to play consistently.

I do really want Smith to be the manager for years to come, but I just don't think he's good enough. It was a miracle how we got promoted last season, which he does deserve credit for, but he needs to be judged on the here and now.

Smith has no answers, so where do we go from from here. We will never be the team we want us to be under Smith, he is not destined to be a Nuno or a Wilder, so what are we doing.

This team beat a Leicester team desperate to go to Wembley, so it can't be all lack of quality. 

The team is under performing every other game, this needs to stop, an Smith has proved now he cannot stop it.

Â