Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, smg said:

Good to see a few are sticking their necks out to say this is a shit appointment so sometime in the future they can say told you so. 

I've noticed a few were avid Bruce supporters.

Some might call it an opinion, others might call it a hidden agenda.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

and just came back to see how the lack of news was going in the manager speculation thread. 

and me!

had a notification that opened up the new manager speculation thread "this thread is locked for comments" and my first thought was actually members had been brawling in there and mods had locked it until it calmed down :lol:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Pleeeeese prove me wrong. I just can't see this working. But who am I?

Same here, Far from convinced this is going to work but would be very happy to be proved wrong.  Think Terry will help take some of the pressure off and having spent last season here he will know exactly what each player is like day to day over an extended period of time which should give Smith a massive head start on what to look for in each of them.

• Like 1

What a great appointment this is! Really pleased.

Smith employs the exact style of football we have been crying out for for the last 2-3 seasons. Possession based football with an intent to attack. He will make a massive difference to the midfield which we currently bypass throughout games, this can easily rectify a few problems from the start.

The key now is to get as many of his backroom staff in as we can so that they can all coach the players the 'new way' as soon as possible leaving JT to sort out the shambles of a defence we currently have.

How long do we all think JT will go until he gets his boots back out?

• Like 2

When the beat us last year at VP i wished he was our manger so i happy with this. Was a bit distracted by the Henry media show but think in many ways this might be more suitable, especially if his team coming and JT. Good luck Dean, please stick to your footballing philosophy, you got my support

Edited by honest_bertie

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and me!

had a notification that opened up the new manager speculation thread "this thread is locked for comments" and my first thought was actually members had been brawling in there and mods had locked it until it calmed down :lol:

Nah, never happen.  Not on VillaTalk!

He's had his last two clubs playing decent footie and punching above heir weights so let's hope Smithy can do the same for the Villa. 

I don't care what colour his hair is or who he managed previously - he's one of us - a Villa fan! Now, that may not qualify him to be any better than the next man but, it at least shows he wants the same as us - a successful Villa - and that will do for me to start off with. 

Good luck Deano - welcome back to Villa Park :flag:

• Like 2

I don't know whether to be excited or not.

Happy JT is coming back but sad he's retired from playing. 

On the positive side Smith's  teams seem to play an entertaining brand of football which we have all been crying out for. 

OTOH a lot of mid table finishes don't reallly indicate he can get us up but how much of that is down to his lack of budget and having his best players poached it's hard to say.

Time will tell I guess but I reckon it could be a rollercoaster

Edited by CosmicVillan

20 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've seen some posts here about first choices falling through, and "third choice Dean".

But Rui Faria was seemingly never approached even though he said he wasn't interested, Brendan Rodgers said he was never approached, and the Belgian FA said Henry was never approached.

Perhaps the board and CEO had a vision for success, and a structure to get there?

Perhaps they identified people to suit that structure?

Perhaps they've got their first choice targets for all of those roles?

Perhaps the delay was just getting compensation agreed for Smith?

Surely the media and the bookies weren't just blagging it all along?!

This also probably ties in with Alan Nixons tweet from earlier in the day "Sometimes people say they don't want the job because they have been told they won't be getting it".

Owners probably weighed the pros and cons, decided Smith was their man, and informed the others they were no longer under consideration!

Then Media/Agents were informed to push along a few stories to save them (the candidates) some face,

Note for MODS: Can we do something about this like cap? This is one of those periods where I'll be running out all the time. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I've noticed a few were avid Bruce supporters.

Some might call it an opinion, others might call it a hidden agenda.

In fairness, Bruce and Smith are pretty close to being polar opposites in almost every way.

Those who defended Bruce and weren't in support of his departure probably don't much fancy Smith.

Each to their own I guess but swapping Bruce for Smith is bloody great news from my perspective.

• Like 4

Very happy. I don't know that much about Smith other than his reputation as a good coach. The Walsall fans I work with all liked him. I'm optimistic about all of this. 

• Like 1

Â