Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think the way forward is to do what is best for the team, and yesterday Smith made the right call. 

A substitution means Jack will leave in January :crylaugh:

What - you think the team is better without Grealish ? - all about opinions I suppose ?

Just now, hippo said:

What - you think the team is better without Grealish ? - all about opinions I suppose ?

No i didn't say that, i said that Hourihane for Grealish was the correct call yesterday. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

No i didn't say that, i said that Hourihane for Grealish was the correct call yesterday. 

Your first post you liked the way he subbed Grealish.

Personally I would have preferred it if Grealish had played a stormer of a game with a smile on his face. As it was he seemed to sulk his way through the game and disappeared for large parts of it - and clearly wasn't happy to be subbed 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Your first post you liked the way he subbed Grealish.

Personally I would have preferred it if Grealish had played a stormer of a game with a smile on his face. As it was he seemed to sulk his way through the game and disappeared for large parts of it - and clearly wasn't happy to be subbed 

I prefer our players not to be happy when subbed. Any unhappiness Jack displayed (I didn’t see any) had certainly disappeared a few minutes later when he came back on to applaud the Holte.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brommy said:

I prefer our players not to be happy when subbed. Any unhappiness Jack displayed (I didn’t see any) had certainly disappeared a few minutes later when he came back on to applaud the Holte.

Agree - I thought JG was disappointing yesterday, which surprised me as he was restored to his central position. I just don't agree that Grealish being so ineffective that he is subbed is good news for anyone, JG, DS and Aston Villa as a whole.  If DS is the coach we all hope he is, then he will be getting the sort of performances that we know JG is capable of.

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agree - I thought JG was disappointing yesterday, which surprised me as he was restored to his central position. I just don't agree that Grealish being so ineffective that he is subbed is good news for anyone, JG, DS and Aston Villa as a whole.  If DS is the coach we all hope he is, then he will be getting the sort of performances that we know JG is capable of.

Where has anyone said JG being ineffective is good news? Perhaps you are confusing it with an opinion that IF Jack is being ineffective at that time in the match (for whatever reason be it form, fitness, tactics) it may be a good idea to sub him. Jack has form for inconsistency and we shouldn’t expect any coach in the world to knock that out of him in a week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Really ?  - I think it hastens jacks departure and wouldn't be surprised if he goes in January.

Personally I think the way forward is to get the best out Grealish - not to piss him off

Yeah, don't see it working with Jack... probably best if we just bring Brucey back... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well I just rewatched the game. Honestly it was a start, but thats really all it was. Happy with the 3 points but we have a very long way to go before we are playing good football.

A step in the right direction, hopefully much more to come in the weeks ahead.

18 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Very underrated comment.

Whilst I was watching the game, i could hear fans saying shoot when we were looking for an opening or becoming discontent when we playing it around the back four.

I hope the fans become accustomed to how we now try to play.

Even when the line up was announced the fans began to moan about the line up. However DS has had very little time with a full squad and we have a game on Tuesday and Saturday so he will be rotating the squad.

I am surprised by DS because I had very low expectations of him especially because of the role he had at Brentford. 

He is about the coaching and tactical aspects of the game.

I liked when he said that he played Grealish deeper to keep possession although it felt as if he did not want to do that because of Jack's attacking qualities.

1st half the passing was really good.

In particular I was watching how many touches each would player take before passing and whether we would look to make short passes or long passes. 

Our players were averaging around 2-3 touches in the 1st half however at times we became unstuck because players were not making themselves available to receive the ball.

DS will be working on this on the training ground so that our possession game is a lot more fluid.

The 2nd half was like watching SB's team play so i am sure that this will be ironed out in the future.

The positive aspect is that at this level we have a group of very talented players and they are capable of taking in tactics and picking up things quickly.

I am excited for the future but I am also nervous about the Norwich game because Carrow road is a difficult place to go to.

Just on the point in bold, i am not one to shout shoot when hutton or thor has the ball 35 yards out...but think most shouting that are doing so tongue in cheek. However, i do recall at least 2 occasions where it opened up very nicely just outside the box for abraham and one other (maybe jack) and we elected to pass. it was my one real criticism of the game and i hope we dont turn into how arsenal used to be, trying to walk it into the net after a 30 pass move rather than taking the clear shot on.

11 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Well I just rewatched the game. Honestly it was a start, but thats really all it was. Happy with the 3 points but we have a very long way to go before we are playing good football.

A step in the right direction, hopefully much more to come in the weeks ahead.

We were lucky to get the win. When your goalkeeper is a contender for man of the match you know things are not great. We were all over the place a lot of the time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KHV said:

We were lucky to get the win. When your goalkeeper is a contender for man of the match you know things are not great. We were all over the place a lot of the time. 

We were lucky in the end that they didn't grab a goal but an argument could be made that they were lucky not to be beaten by more. Abraham should have had two more goals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

strongly disagree - even their manager agreed they deserved nothing from the game

Ahhh superb. The first bit of controversy in the Smith era is subbing Grealish. We will make 3000 pages in no time if that’s controversial and debated over several pages. 

Game management was one of Bruce’s weak areas, of Smith can see out a 1-0 by taking off Grealish then so be it. I doubt very much that Grealish is pissed off in the slightest. He will be fresher for Tuesday and Friday. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Ahhh superb. The first bit of controversy in the Smith era is subbing Grealish. We will make 3000 pages in no time if that’s controversial and debated over several pages.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You'd think he'd subbed him in the 30th minute or something given some reactions.

at the risk of adding to said moot point, I've seen no posts to indicate that anyone (except one) was unhappy with him being subbed and therefore see no controversy - unless there have been posts elsewhere where folks are grizzling about it?

Â