Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Hey

First time poster on the forum, I have supported Villa for 24 years now, and although we have had good times I have never felt so excited as with recent events.

Personally I am not expecting miracles, but I am super happy that we appear to be finally moving towards developing a culture within the club where we have an ideology and a style of play that persists regardless of who is in post etc, it's something I have thought we should do for many years (like out own take on the ajax type system - not exactly of course but to have an ideology running through the club that doesn't chop and change with every new manager or staff member).

I agree it may take time to get everything moving and all the ideologies implemented, but the thought of having a villa side that plays attractive football and is committed to building a culture around it is to me so exciting, even if it takes time to implement, the football on the pitch has been so drab and dire for so long, I can forgive a lot if the football is beautiful and exciting  (within limits of course - we all want to win).

To be honest as long as I can see consistent improvement I don't even mind if we dont get promoted this season, as long as we play modern and exciting football, and the results start come over the next 12 months I am more than willing to give the new team a good throw of the dice.

In my opinion, as a club we have been too short sighted for too long, terribly so at times, I'm so happy that finally the club seem to be realising their long term errors and looking to modernise.

Apologies for the long post, and I am certainly not thinking that we are going to top the championship and we are going to be working magic and miracles, but I do feel like this is a genuine step in the right direction.

Thanks....

Welcome . Yeah it's definetely the most progressive appointment we've made in recent years, especially given the fact that Smith is use to working with a director of football. Am i expecting an obvious change in style over the 3 games in 6 days period ? I'm not, and it would be a silly to expect a change in that time frame. Something i think he can influence from the off though is shape, or lack of. The game against Bristol city a few weeks back springs to mind because it was the last time i watched us live. One thing that stood out a mile was the distance between our defence-midfield-strikers. Was so big. We aren't playing as a collective from 1-11. Like separate entities. Pure basic stuff, that comes with movement, touch, pace. This will come right under Smith i feel.

Thomas Frank and the board are pretty much saying that he (Thomas Frank) played a major role in the development in Brentfords style in football on the training ground.

Only time will tell.

Can we just appreciate the first 21 seconds of this clip.

Imagine in a few months starting a game like this.

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Thomas Frank and the board are pretty much saying that he (Thomas Frank) played a major role in the development in Brentfords style in football on the training ground.

Only time will tell.

Can we just appreciate the first 21 seconds of this clip.

Imagine in a few months starting a game like this.

The jury is still out on frank for me. He has had a modest career as a number one in Denmark so far. He is highly thought of it. Remains to be seen how he will do. 

12 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Dean Smith at Brentford re: improving Central Defenders he has managed at Brentford:

Chris Mepham (Youth player now valued at £15mil and Bournemouth & Leicester had bids turned down in summer) 20 yr old Welsh International

James Tarkowski (Burnley now bought from Oldham by Smith for 200k sold to Burnley for 3.5mil..2 years later now played for England and rated at around £30mil by Burnley)

Erza Konsa: Bought from Charlton for £2.5mil in summer and already play for England U21. Going to go onto bigger things!

Are Easah Suliman (when he returns), Dominic Reven or Jacob Bedeau the next he improves?

He has also improved players in variety of other areas when at Walsall & Brentford! Very exciting to see what he can do with our younger players

Was really surprised to see Smith in an interview last week take credit for signing tarkowski. He didn't. He wasn't even at Brentford when he joined. Warburton signed him. Anyway, a moot point. Konsa was an excellent piece of business. Think he played 50 or 60 odd games for Charlton already. Still maintain though, means a he'll of a lot attracting young talent if you are a London club. 

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Was really surprised to see Smith in an interview last week take credit for signing tarkowski. He didn't. He wasn't even at Brentford when he joined. Warburton signed him. Anyway, a moot point. Konsa was an excellent piece of business. Think he played 50 or 60 odd games for Charlton already. Still maintain though, means a he'll of a lot attracting young talent if you are a London club. 

This article mate? https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/astton-villa-manager-dean-smith-15270362

They’ve got to be talented — but talent is just one thing. They must have a great attitude.

“I signed James Tarkowski from Oldham and he’s gone on to play for England. Chris Mepham came through the youth ranks and is now playing for Wales.

“There are gems to find without breaking the bank.

“What I loved at Brentford was every day I walked into the training ground, every single person — whether it be a player, staff member, owner or board member — wanted to get better.”

Just checked and you are right Smith joined Brentford in 2015.

Tarkowski signed 2014. Think it was down to Smith how he sold him for big money

How was he playing under Warburton anyone know?

Was it Warburton or Smith who released Alfie Mawson??

Edited by Villan4Life

I certainly think that he would want to look at some of our youth players in the coming weeks especially Bedeau.

I would assume Pitarch does not have extensive knowledge on lower league talent so DS will hopefully discuss plans in scouting and sourcing lower league talent.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnnyp said:

I know i read it last week. Surprised the Brum mail didn't pick up on that. Dean Smith did not sign James Tarkowski. That's an irrefutable fact.

Have a like i've looked and you are correct mate. Are you Villa fan? As you know your stuff

3 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I certainly think that he would want to look at some of our youth players in the coming weeks especially Bedeau.

I would assume Pitarch does not have extensive knowledge on lower league talent so DS will hopefully discuss plans in scouting and sourcing lower league talent.

If i can someone get Pitarch's email i have a complete dossier on lower league talent from my 18months looking for a couple of clubs. I don't want anything for it money wise just chance send him a variety of names to club i love just for them to follow up and see if it's for the club or not that's all as some they might not be interested in :)  Alas not sure what it is  his email unless anyone on here can help ? 

Edited by Villan4Life

9 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Have a like i've looked and you are correct mate. Are you Villa fan? As you know your stuff

Am indeed mate. Honestly wouldn't of known about it myself but some Brentford fan was on here last week losing his nut that Smith was saying he signed tarkowski.  Mind you i wouldn't be at all opposed to Smith signing tarkowski now.!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Am indeed mate. Honestly wouldn't of known about it myself but some Brentford fan was on here last week losing his nut that Smith was saying he signed tarkowski. 

ah i didn't see that one mate. nice one

Edited by Villan4Life

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I know i read it last week. Surprised the Brum mail didn't pick up on that. Dean Smith did not sign James Tarkowski. That's an irrefutable fact.

Isn't it likely the media is full of shit in regards to that quote. Why would he state something that he knows is a lie and knows will be fact checked by everyone with a smart phone? It doesn't make sense. 

32 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Isn't it likely the media is full of shit in regards to that quote. Why would he state something that he knows is a lie and knows will be fact checked by everyone with a smart phone? It doesn't make sense. 

Who cares!? It doesn’t matter one iota in the grand scheme of things. I couldn’t care less who he did or didn’t sign; I just care about what he does with us and although a considerable amount of patience will be required, it is our most proactive, forward-thinking managerial appointment in years. 

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Already a clash in management style at training. Smith and ROK wearing trackpants, Terry in shorts. 

Not ready to let his playing days slip by just yet??

I Prefer this goal starts from 6.14s 

A Number of one touch triangles to get things going, followed by 15 passes that lead to the goal. 

A bit of on the front foot one touch football with a defence splitting pass and Bosha!.. Get in my son! 

• Like 3

Â