Dean Smith

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Think of the Spanish pronunciation;

Jesus = Hey-soos 

which is where Suso comes from I assume.

But if it was John McClane, it would be Hey-Seus, i mean Zeus-Die hard 3 ?

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very excited, it's going to take a while for these players to adapt, but this is absolutely the sort of structure we have craved for years now.

It will take a while but I think we have players capable of passing the ball that i expect some minor improvements

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I was listening to Liam Rosenior talk about the appointment last night on some Sky Sports fluff show and he talked about our defensive issues in an interesting manner. He posited that we don't defend as a team, that there are only essentially two phases in a game of football, with and without the ball and that we don't seem to display much cohesion when in either phase. If we can begin over the next few weeks to start to press the opposition as an 11 rather than thinking of our team as separate, disconnected units this could go a long way to solving much of our woes. 

I took it to mean that essentially in the 'without the ball' phase EVERYONE is a defender. A simple bit of analysis, yet something woefully misunderstood by the Bruce regime and by me, if I am honest. My knowledge of Brentford is mostly based around their attacking prowess, where it's often extremely difficult to recognise who is playing where such is their dynamism. If Smith can apply some of that dynamic thinking to our defensive strategy we might suddenly start to worry less about our defence. 

Keeping the ball will help too. Hard to concede goals when you have the ball 70% of the time. Though we probably shouldn't let Jedinak anywhere near the team ever again if that's going to be the case. 

Good to see you back, Dave.

Rosenior is probably the only pundit outside of the podcast sphere I’ve enjoyed listening to for years. 

And it’s an important point. So obvious, really, but often overlooked. Defending is about so much more than the back five, marking your man and clearing your lines. Yes, our squad is woefully unbalanced, but if we can improve things like ball retention and collective pressing, we will concede fewer goals. 

• Like 2

I've saw a few posts now suggesting we may struggle for a few months adapting to Smiths way of playing, and i must say i disagree. 

I think Smith is far to intelligent to expect our lot to suddenly start playing Brentford by Saturday afternoon, and so the changes will be gradual. He is known for making changes to his team based on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition so is very adaptable with the resources he has available. 

What i think he will try to implement quickly is a hard working unit without the ball, and a positive attack minded approach when in possession. This part of his approach won't (imo) be difficult to implement, he will basically be taking the hand brake off and the players will enjoy it. 

We won't look like Brentford in 2 weeks but I'm sure we'll look a dam site better than we have for much of this season. 

Can't wait till Saturday. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Chester having a nightmare on the ball vs Ireland, not sure be happy see him passing out from the back

Form is temporary, class is permanent. 

He has clearly been struggling this season, whether it be for confidence or something going on in his personal life. It's fixable though I'm sure. 

I think we might struggle for a couple of months, mainly due to us not having a defense.

Still expect us to look much more of a team with a plan pretty much instantly.

even thou it will of course take time to implement a new identity and results will vary.

He will probably only get Thursday and Friday to work with the team for Saturday but I do think the ethos of the team will be different. I still think we will be far better organised and think we will be more positive to play forward with ball on the floor rather than sideways, backwards and hoof!

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Form is temporary, class is permanent. 

He has clearly been struggling this season, whether it be for confidence or something going on in his personal life. It's fixable though I'm sure. 

Well he did get married...

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a team there were times when we played well under Bruce. The fact we couldn’t repeat it consistently is why Brice is no longer here. However those times showed that we we have it in us and if the new management team can bring that out, whilst working towards developing the style they want, then we can hopefully pick up a decent points haul even as we go through the transition. 

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well he did get married...

:ph34r:

Well that's enough to take you mind off the game, especially if your a player.?

I welcome him and in a couple of months we won't know what we have ever done without him. Welcome back Dave!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â