Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Bruce was never going to fit into this plan. Dead man walking from day one. I'm wondering if they kept Brucie on to tick things over while they cleared the debts and got the yes from all interested parties. I think Bruce knew it as well, hence the dogturd excuse of a recruitment policy and, ehm, "style" of football.

Debt-free, CEO one of the architects of FFP, stinking rich owners, and A PLAN!?!

This Lion is about to roar.

That was very interesting.

• Like 1

A very good press conference.

Both came across very well. A couple of things to note.

Smith was downplaying the `Villa fan' thing. I get the feeling he does not want it to interfere with his concentration on the game.

Purslow, having been involved in FFP from the start, will know how to play it without getting us into trouble.

Purslow confirmed that we are debt free.

With these guys, and our new owners qualities, we may at last be seeing the glimmer of a new dawn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All our managers interview well when they first come in. Then the effects of Aston Villa wear them down and the interviews become terrible and they look weathered men. 

I hope DS does well and gets us up playing good stuff. But it’s fair too early to be saying he’s the best we’ve had in years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

That's the phrase that excited me most from his first interview. Train at an intensity, play at an intensity .... It's going to transform our squad over the next few months.

As you say, a few of our players will not fit into that, but it will open up opportunities for younger players to make an energetic and committed impact.

i am not so sure, some only do what they have to do.....I think the "holiday camp" signs will come down......and the "boot camp" signs will go up.

some things will be fairly instant, some will take longer.

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

All our managers interview well when they first come in. Then the effects of Aston Villa wear them down and the interviews become terrible and they look weathered men. 

I hope DS does well and gets us up playing good stuff. But it’s fair too early to be saying he’s the best we’ve had in years.

Very true. Can’t remember a CEO that seemed so confident though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just seen the presser and his interview and I have to say he came across extremely well.  

I really think he feels he's been building for this moment serving his apprenticeship and and he's EARNED his place at the top table. 

No sense of entitlement,  no sense of him doing us a favour, and not rushing into it with eyes closed because it's his boyhood club. 

It still had to feel right, he said in both interv it was a rational decision, not an emotional one. 

So many of the worlds top coaches were not top players, I feel he will be one of those.  We finally seem to have got away from the need for a name or someone whose been around the block again and again and once more for good measure, but instead seen THE MAN and THE FIT and THE STYLE and THE METHOD and gone for someone who ticks those boxes and is on an UPWARDS trajectory instead of circling. 

Feeling good Lewis. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Smith said that he needed 24-48 hours to make the decision, and wanted to talk to his wife who had an operation on Monday.

Hopefully this will put to bed the idea that he was third choice and snapped their hands off a few hours before the announcement.

I would think a stream of warm urine made its way down his leg , when he had the call

How good is it to have that feel - good factor around this wonderful club of ours ? It hasn't felt like this in a very long time, or at least it seems that way. Can you imagine if we can manage to transform that vibe into our football. If we get this right, we could be in for one hell of a ride. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Having just watched the press conference.

This just seems different.

Business like almost.

Neither Purslow or Dean look like they came to doss about.

Lets hope we can win some football matches as well ?

• Like 1

Â