Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Really enjoyed this video from the villa view couple days ago interviewing the brentford lad, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am curious myself what the formation Dean will play, not just for villa but so I can give it a whirl on fifa 19. Was thinking maybe 5-3-2 defensive wing back system, bring some of the youth in as i suspect he may do so or a 4-1-3-2, with 2 attacking wingers on both flanks, think either way Smith will want two strikers on at least??

One thing I liked what the brentford lad said is that if Dean thinks they are good, no matter the age your old enough, that I like alot.

Edited by Dave-R

11 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Has to be Thor for me. He’s the most comfortable on the ball and isn’t a natural DM. We always look better with him there. 

This is a complete myth. Bjarnason passing stats are poor relative to the rest of the squad which doesn't imply comfortable on the ball. He doesn't break up play as well as Whelan or Jedinak. He scores cameo goals and his stock is inflated but he think he's not good enough to start in the 2 or 3 positions available if we go 442 or 4231 being LCM RCM or LCM CAM RCM. He won't be happy with that and good chance he looks for another club in January imo

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

Park Hall

Same school I went to. Lee Hendrie was two years above and Luke Rodgers (Ex Shrewsbury and New York Red Bull’s player he played alongside Thierry Henry) was a few years younger.

Edited by Villan4Life

On 13/10/2018 at 22:31, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Isn't he a manager in India or something?

How would he be making that trek so often?

I don't know but I only get to a handful of games in those seats each season as they belong to the  company I work for , they are few rows up from all the guys with the TV screens etc but I've been going to them for 8yrs now and ever since I first noticed I always have a look now as he sits at the back row near the end of the section. You see a few other faces in there as well and around the 82 lounge.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is a complete myth. Bjarnason passing stats are poor relative to the rest of the squad which doesn't imply comfortable on the ball. He doesn't break up play as well as Whelan or Jedinak. He scores cameo goals and his stock is inflated but he think he's not good enough to start in the 2 or 3 positions available if we go 442 or 4231 being LCM RCM or LCM CAM RCM. He won't be happy with that and good chance he looks for another club in January imo

I prefer Thor for the simple reason that he still has legs. Watching Whelan and Jedinak breathing out their arse and consistently being out of position after 30 minutes played, that makes me hate football. 

• Like 1

Having been Brucealized for the last 2 years,

I'm wondering how long it will take for the players to get used to life on the outside, taking off the shackles and playing with freedom. 

8 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Really enjoyed this video from the villa view couple days ago interviewing the brentford lad, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am curious myself what the formation Dean will play, not just for villa but so I can give it a whirl on fifa 19. Was thinking maybe 5-3-2 defensive wing back system, bring some of the youth in as i suspect he may do so or a 4-1-3-2, with 2 attacking wingers on both flanks, think either way Smith will want two strikers on at least??

One thing I liked what the brentford lad said is that if Dean thinks they are good, no matter the age your old enough, that I like alot.

Imagine when Bruce gets his next job his new club do a similar style interview with Bruce. That would be interesting viewing. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Having been Brucealized for the last 2 years,

I'm wondering how long it will take for the players to get used to life on the outside, taking off the shackles and playing with freedom. 

Some will. Some won't and they'll be moved on when there is an opportunity.  Smith won't weave his magic overnight. 

• Like 1

One thing that stood out in the interview with a Brentford fan is they have a lot of side to side possession waiting for the killer attack. Chelsea used to play a similar way under Jose in his first stint. At times it can look boring but it’s actually wearing down defences patiently waiting for the opening. It’s very effective as long as all players are comfortable on the ball in tight spaces. 

We would try it at times under Bruce but more often then not it would end with a cross from deep or a loose touch and loss of  possession.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

On 12/10/2018 at 19:15, Keyblade said:

I don't disagree that we "dominated" per se. like I said we had most of the ball and put most of the pressure on their final third. But domination =/= playing a team off the park if you don't do anything with all that possession.

My point was that for all of our domination, Brentford had almost all of the chances. All you have to do is just look at the goals both teams scored. As usual we relied on individual brilliance and a header from a deep hopeful cross, whereas their goals came from incisive passing football, and were team goals.  If you don't believe my recount of proceedings, here's the match summary from whoscored.com.

yqW2nmn.png

Frankly I think it's disrespectful to use that game as any sort of counterpoint to DS' abilities. It does him a huge disservice as on the day they were the better side anyway.

What is this, some sort of Championship Manager match report?!

I watched the game, with my own eyes, I don't need a random report from a random website.

Guess it's a case of agree to disagree, again.

Â