Dean Smith

Demitri_C

40 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Grealish In front of the back 4? 

It'll be whelan or jedinak that play there for now  as they are our best cdms, one things for certain though it won't be Grealish! 

part of me wants to see McGinn play that role as he is the fastest tackling all action midfielder we have, Jed is good in the air but he's too slow on the deck, so is Whelan.

Connor and Bjarns go missing too much to play that role.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Grealish In front of the back 4? 

It'll be whelan or jedinak that play there for now  as they are our best cdms, one things for certain though it won't be Grealish! 

I do think Grealish will ultimately end up a deep-lying midfielder, and a very good one. 

I agree I don’t quite see him shuttling in front of the back four at this point. 

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

It seems unlikely to me. His two best attributes are his ability to go past people like they're not there, and his picking of an attacking pass. His weakest parts are heading and tackling. It would be massively wasteful and counter productive to play him there, IMO.

Totally, he's not a quarter back type in the slightest. Should be played as a trequartista, AM, number 10. Ideally freed of too much defensive duties. Giggs went back there and changed his game when he was mid/late thirties, if Jack is still playing then he coudl do something similar, like Pirlo did too. He's got a hell of a long way to go before he can be mentioned in that type of class of player and even longer to see if he could play further back when he gets a bit slower...

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Why do i get the feeling some would rather lose 12-9 than win 1-0 

I think 12-9 is a bit outlandish, but I get your point.

I do worry that some fans in their pursuit of attacking football ( and lets be honest we all love it) fail to spend much time appreciating the defensive side of the game.

I am really looking forward to Deans approach.....but if we can't keep clean sheets, promotion will be so difficult.

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I like to think of and refer to him as "Dean" instead of "Smith". Is that weird?

its called respect....but equally it may be an age thing.

my son growing up, all his school mates referred to him by his surname.

Edited by TRO

On 12/10/2018 at 12:46, TRO said:

My personal stance is shelve expectations and just them get on with improving the product.

I think their energy level, will be a big improvement

without the football on the pitch being right.....the league table is just a source of frustration.

as the gambler said.....count your money AFTER you have finished dealing.

I am heartened and encouraged by Deans attitude towards transfers.....It reminds me of the Ron Saunders era......His grounded approach will be invaluable.

I am just going to sit back and let the guy get on with it and refrain from jumping on him, too soon......all managers deserve time, he is no exception.

Oops, not sure what happened there.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I like to think of and refer to him as "Dean" instead of "Smith". Is that weird?

Nope, same here.

Especially since there is some South African d*ckhead (Former friend) of the same name, Dean Smith, who was trying to get it on with my lady.

:rant:

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nope, same here.

Especially since there is some South African d*ckhead (Former friend) of the same name, Dean Smith, who was trying to get it on with my lady.

:rant:

dirty dog.

why don't you call him "Dingo" as opposed to "Deano", he'll get it.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, 100% top bloke. But the original question was about Smiffy being the first Villa fan to manage us, not the first Villa manager to become a lifelong fan. 

exactly.

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

its called respect....but equally it may be an age thing.

my son growing up, all his school mates referred to him by his surname.

Which school was that TRO? I only ask because my school was similar in that respect. 

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I do think Grealish will ultimately end up a deep-lying midfielder, and a very good one. 

I agree I don’t quite see him shuttling in front of the back four at this point. 

He doesn't have the passing range and vision to play in that role. Madness.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Slightly off topic, but did anyone have a clue that Shaun Maloney, of all people was in the Belgium setup?

Just got a link to a Newsnow story that he is set to replace Henry as their number 2, how random!

Bizarre. It's presumably a part time job, and he can stay in Scotland and just travel when he needs to. you know, what with finding it difficult to acclimatise to the midlands.

Â