Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, CosmicVillan said:

Sits behind us at all the home games, seen him every time I have been

Yes, 100% top bloke. But the original question was about Smiffy being the first Villa fan to manage us, not the first Villa manager to become a lifelong fan. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

John Gregory

Was Gregory a villan ? I'd say no more than Brian is.

i think Gregory like many past players did  come to love our club :-  Withe, Cowans, Morley - Shaun  Teale to name just a few - but I don't recall Gregory being a villan before joining us - although I will gladly stand coorectef 

47 minutes ago, Sidmon said:

Big Ron was a Lea Village lad who supported us as a youth and played for the youth team. Said it was his calling to manage us when he took over in 1991.

Good point. BFR may have a valid claim. 

15 hours ago, villarocker said:

I totally agree with the above post. Smith needs time because we need to remember that these players have been used to playing a completely different style of football to what Smith will expect from them and so he's going to need plenty of time to train the new style into them. 

Were being to impatient  as fans, we have no choice now to slow it down. I said even with bruce even though he didnt get it rite, that the teams in this league have been playing complete different to the premiere league style of football. Both leagues the premier and championship offer different styles of play, and teams who have been adopting that attacking style of play are running over teams in the upper flight for at least half a decade or more now. Those teams who are also making the jump yo the premier league are setting a new standard of football in my eyes and eventually even some of those big name top ten teams are going to struggle. I would even put a bet that in a decade or so we won't even recognise the premier league which was once a slower game to what it is in this league we are in, to many teams making that transition up and booting the old lot out. Football is crazy rite now as money sides are starting to lose out against well drilled sides and this is how football should be again.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Isn't he a manager in India or something?

How would he be making that trek so often?

Yeah, won the league with Chennaiyin last season. Pretty short seasons over there, I can't imagine he was commuting!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KHV said:

My biggest worry is the fans, I don't think there will be an instant upturn in results. Villa fans want and expect results, this squad is a shambles at the moment. I fear he may be on a hiding to nothing

Completely Bruce's fault and would've been the same for any manager. Smith will actually implement a style. Promote the players that can adopt it and promote youth if necessary. Oh and not stockpile players in the same position that end up not playing but target areas that need addressing

• Like 3

I agree that Dean Smith has to implement a style and we haven’t really had any sort of style for a while now. However the thought that the players will be stood at BMH in wide eyed amazement as he speaks of things like movement and pressing is a little exaggerated. They’re professional footballers and will have largely grown up with this sort of stuff. 

The fact that the previous coaching regime had placed an emphasis more on good old fashioned up and at ‘em, doesn’t mean that they’ve never heard of passing and movement etc. Yes it will take a bit of acclimatisation, but it’s modernisation rather than revolution. Perhaps the biggest jump will be to becoming a team that has more adaptability from game to game and during games. Becoming a thinking team, a team with nous, which we haven’t been for many years, could be that extra 5% that makes us successful. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Will we expect a win at Swansea? I will, lose to them an a few will start making there minds up already. Lose big and we will wonder what we have let ourselves in for. This is how is works yeah??

You have described me perfectly here. Follow the Match Day Thread for proof.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Excited but very nervous. Can see a lot of mistakes while we try and keep the ball. 

Having watched the extended highlights of the Brentford match it seems as if all our chances came from Brentford players making mistakes. Maybe that's why we looked so good—we really didn't need to make any chances ourselves from scratch, which is one of the things we were terrible at with Bruce obviously.

Edited by praisedmambo

11 hours ago, Sidmon said:

Big Ron was a Lea Village lad who supported us as a youth and played for the youth team. Said it was his calling to manage us when he took over in 1991.

I thought BFR is a scouser ?

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Excited but very nervous. Can see a lot of mistakes while we try and keep the ball. 

I have seen plenty of Brentford performances where they don't keep the ball that much. I think this Brentford keeping the ball thing is a bit of a myth overall. I have seen Brentford play a fast counter attacking style on numerous occasions, rather like when we were at our best under MON

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Completely Bruce's fault and would've been the same for any manager. Smith will actually implement a style. Promote the players that can adopt it and promote youth if necessary. Oh and not stockpile players in the same position that end up not playing but target areas that need addressing

Given he has only managed smaller clubs with smaller ambitions, I wonder how he will find the pressure if it doesn't go well? We have a rather large section of our fanbase who are utter cockwombles

23 minutes ago, KHV said:

Given he has only managed smaller clubs with smaller ambitions, I wonder how he will find the pressure if it doesn't go well? We have a rather large section of our fanbase who are utter cockwombles

Every club does. Nothing unique about Villa there. But our expectations are high, granted. He could be Mike Walker, or he could be Alex Ferguson. Time will tell and I suspect there is a great appetite to give Smith time than there ever was for Bruce. I can only speak for myself but having not even wanted Bruce in the first place, I was prepared to give him time all the same and only really felt he should have been removed after the playoff defeat. It got crazy toward the end because he was rapidly undoing any benefit he’d achieved.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Every club does. Nothing unique about Villa there. But our expectations are high, granted. He could be Mike Walker, or he could be Alex Ferguson. Time will tell and I suspect there is a great appetite to give Smith time than there ever was for Bruce. I can only speak for myself but having not even wanted Bruce in the first place, I was prepared to give him time all the same and only really felt he should have been removed after the playoff defeat. It got crazy toward the end because he was rapidly undoing any benefit he’d achieved.

I doubt Smith will have much more time than Bruce to get it right. To be fair apart from the cock wombles shouting him out, Bruce had nearly 2 seasons. 

We can't get into this situation that just because Dean Smith will be building something here, that it is acceptable to lose games against the poor sides and not progress up the league. Even though I accept we may not get promoted this season, it will still be unacceptable in my view to finish any lower than a few below the play offs. It wasn't wholey the team being shite, it was Bruce and his non tactics. yes the defence is not great but we have Terry here now to tidy it up, so I'm not gonna start giving Smith excuses when we lose games.

Â