Dean Smith

Demitri_C

James Burt wrote an article for the Telegraph where he interviewed the Brentford coach (Smith) and Ankerson and Giles the co directors of football. Brentford carry out 'background' checks with Smith saying that there is a "strong human element" in all they do. I keep going back to personality - and that's a big one for us. They (players) have to fit in with what the club is about", Smith who has the final say, explains.

"SMITH WHO HAS THE FINAL SAY" explains. That seems fairly clear.

6 hours ago, NIVillan said:

Give him time is my point.   We cant keep burning through managers.

Burning through managers like a star shooting it's solar flares.

I agree at some point we as a club are going to have to give a few seasons to a coach to see what happens, it may as well be with Smith.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Burning through managers like a star shooting it's solar flares.

I agree at some point we as a club are going to have to give a few seasons to a coach to see what happens, it may as well be with Smith.

I agree totally we need to get a coach who can have a longer run than those of tne past 2-3 years.

Just not Smith please. He’s not up to it. Past and present performance demonstrates that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Really, I think it’s the fact that Smith is failing to get his squad playing winning football that is the problem, not the fans!

We are just distraught bystanders, as we have been for the past 10 years or so.

I’m not sure what “supporting Smith” would look like in the face of the performance say against Brentford and his post-match comments. “Well done, Dean, great effort, how proud you must be of the team you built at Brentford.”?

Smith must have understood the pressure when he took the job so no point in crying for him now. He needs to get the team playing better football on the pitch. That will ease the pressure on him no end.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Thanks 2

What has Smith being a fan got to do with anything?

Simple fact is if we were winning games nobody would be on his back, We are absolutely shit so people are... Not rocket science is it.

All this talk of needing to give a manager years is pure nostalgia at best. Clubs, Including the most successful ones change every 2 or 3 years & plenty more often than that.

There are 8 managers in the EFL that have been employed by the same club since before 2016.

51 clubs out of the 72 have a manager employed after Jan 1st 2018

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

What has Smith being a fan got to do with anything?

Simple fact is if we were winning games nobody would be on his back, We are absolutely shit so people are... Not rocket science is it.

All this talk of needing to give a manager years is pure nostalgia at best. Clubs, Including the most successful ones change every 2 or 3 years & plenty more often than that

Being a villa fan is merely the icing on the cake, it's how he got Brentford and Walsall playing that interests me!

2 years is what a manager should get. Talk of firing someone after 3 months is frankly ridiculous! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I think its petulant and sums up the modern football fan to want a manager out so early

There's a lot to be said for this!

A lot of villa fans haven't known it any other way. Social media has just exacerbated this immediate results philosophy imo, the need to be first to any idea makes me want to weep!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Who then?

Who are you seriously expecting to take over a mid table championship team with immediate pressure to win every game with attacking football?

What are you going to say when the next manager inevitability hits a bad run?

Why not give this manager your support? 

Brilliantly well said +1

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

All this talk of needing to give a manager years is pure nostalgia at best. Clubs, Including the most successful ones change every 2 or 3 years & plenty more often than that.

Nobody is even saying 2 years mate. He’s had around 3-4 months. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Or you could say we haven’t scored an away goal in the last 3 away games which is still crap but what’s the turn of the year got to do with it?

or are you just trying to make it sound as ‘pathetic’ as possible?

So yeah it's pathetic your happy with that I take it? 

19 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

So questioning DS's position after 20 games of mixed results (not relegation form) isn't consistent with what successful clubs are doing. From what I can see, well-run clubs give even a struggling manager a bare minimum of 50 matches, and ideally they let him have around 100 games. If Smith still hasn't got anywhere after 50-100 games, then maybe he's had his chance, and we can reasonably ask him to leave.

How are Leeds doing this season?  How long did the manager before Bielsa get?

(Yes I know, they've been down here for aaaaaages, but even so.)

1 minute ago, Risso said:

How are Leeds doing this season?  How long did the manager before Bielsa get?

(Yes I know, they've been down here for aaaaaages, but even so.)

If a manager of Bielsa's quality and track record suddenly became available to Villa, then fair enough, it's worth considering an early switch. Benitez or Rodgers might fit that bill.

But the impression I get is that the Smith Out crew on here would be happy with a Fat Sam or a Pulis or some equivalent manager from a foreign league - i.e. managers who have never come close to winning a top-level competition in their careers.

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

If a manager of Bielsa's quality and track record suddenly became available to Villa, then fair enough, it's worth considering an early switch. Benitez or Rodgers might fit that bill.

But the impression I get is that the Smith Out crew on here would be happy with a Fat Sam or a Pulis or some equivalent manager from a foreign league - i.e. managers who have never come close to winning a top-level competition in their careers.

That's it isnt it those Smith out people havnt a clue who they want in and if they did, would most likely settle for someone of similar quality to Dean, it's complete stupidness from them.

Support your damn Coach all the way, you should be getting behind him, not turning on him over results you don't agree with. Fact is the owners at the moment seem happy with what's happening.

It's actually unreal and no wonder west brom fans were calling some of our fans sour grapes. Some fans act like our club is entitled and deserve the world,, like no one should be beating us and that we have the best squad in the championship which is totally false.

Only tough hard work on the pitch with full support from the fans is going to achieve results. It's going to take time to find winning ways again on a regular basis and we have to work as a team and as a United front.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 3

I think he needs time based off the form and style we saw for his first dozen games. He’s had bad injuries as and should have adapted the style to suit the player since but I’m keen to see what he does when he builds a side because that was good football and I believe that will get us to the PL once it’s the norm. 

He does deserve criticism for the slump, but sacking is premature imo 

Â