Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Will we expect a win at Swansea? I will, lose to them an a few will start making there minds up already. Lose big and we will wonder what we have let ourselves in for. This is how is works yeah??

Only if you’re @Demitri_C on the match day thread ;)

Only kidding Dem :)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

Very enthusiastic about this appointment. It feels a good mix - British Manager playing possession based, pressing style of football. I think the marriage will suit Smith and suit the Club. If the owners are patient I am very confident this will work very well. Promotion is a big ask but shodlnt be seen as the be all and end all - I only want to go up if we are ready, what's the point of being the whipping boys of the league or getting up and having to spend £100m's just to keep your head above water?

I was lukewarm on his appointment but delighted the more I learn about him.

For results, he gets about 10 games to show some kind of play style improvement. If he doesn't I might start asking questions. Results are not irrelevant but secondary to me to the quality of play and entertainment.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I suspect you are conveniently forgetting what a mess we were in when he took over.

But, like I’ve said before, you have given the benchmark by which to judge Dean Smith. No way will he achieve less than the “failure” of a playoff final.

We can track progress as the season progresses.

We were a mess. Not at this level though. He has left much more of a mess and wasted 2 years and loads of money in the process. 

You can choose your benchmark, like i said of you want to cheer a playoff final as an achievement then go ahead. You put faith in the wrong guy and now seek eager for the next guy to fail because of it. 

• Like 3

Regarding time, lets not forget we finished mid table under Bruce in his first season, and Bruce and Smith have taken over at similar times. If the "needs a pre season and his own signings" was valid for Bruce in his first season, it must also extend to Smith. Especially as Smiths style will be much more difficult to implement.

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We were a mess. Not at this level though. He has left much more of a mess and wasted 2 years and loads of money in the process. 

You can choose your benchmark, like i said of you want to cheer a playoff final as an achievement then go ahead. You put faith in the wrong guy and now seek eager for the next guy to fail because of it. 

Good to see you back . I've missed your posts. 

On 12/10/2018 at 17:48, MrBlack said:

Sadly that's a ridiculous expectation. We have one centre back and even he's not that good without an experienced capable centre back alongside him. And the less said about our keepers the better.

Anyone on the bosman free market is still there for a reason.

These unrealistic expectations will see Dean being booed within three weeks.

Was mostly tongue in cheek really. But I like to hope... Doesn't mean I'll be booing if we don't make it. 

I do think our squad is up there in the league. Sure there are issues in defence, but every side has weaknesses and with proper coaching and tactics we can work around them.

I think we'll be competing by season end. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I was lukewarm on his appointment but delighted the more I learn about him.

For results, he gets about 10 games to show some kind of play style improvement. If he doesn't I might start asking questions. Results are not irrelevant but secondary to me to the quality of play and entertainment.

Honestly think you gotta give him 12 months before asking anything. His playstyle is so far from Bruceball you can get. I can only imagine the confusion at BMH when he introduces the concept of pressure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Have you taken a look at the Grealish thread lately? Being a known Villa fan doesn’t seem to do a player any favours so I’m not sure it will help a manager for long. I think it will give a great atmosphere in his first game or two, but it will be on him to build on this.

Generally I agree he needs time for real change but also I think this squad should make the playoffs (and think it will).

Why should it? If you are doing a shit job it doesn't matter who you support or where you are from. Gabby was getting paid millions for over a decade because he was a local lad, He played well for about 3 years out of 13. There is no place for sentiment in professional sport.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KHV said:

I think people are expecting us to suddenly implement Brentford's style which is simply not going to happen, at least not in the short term. He has been managing smaller clubs his whole career and his record is decent but nothing spectacular IMO.

I'm not sure he will be successful here. I hope I'm wrong but I am not convinced this is going to end well.

We have to be patient and give him enough time to do his thing. It probably won't happen this season as he will need the next transfer window just to have a chance of sorting out a leaking defence. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This is just revisionism. We had just crashed out of the premier league with one of the worst premier league squads ever and having  achieved 3 wins the whole season.

RDM had them spent about £60m of the new owner’s money (as it turned out, not his money) on constructing a squad slightly less effective in winning matches than a chocolate teapot in pouring a cup of tea for the local vicar, and had us near the relegation places.

“Not at this level”?

There was a whole positive feeling after the takeover. RDM did spend a lot, how many of his signings did Bruce rely on over these last 2 years? Bruce only got as long as he did because of the players he inherited.

The squad we currently have is a mess. FFP is much more of an issue and our ability to win a game seems to be just as shit  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Why should it? If you are doing a shit job it doesn't matter who you support or where you are from. Gabby was getting paid millions for over a decade because he was a local lad, He played well for about 3 years out of 13. There is no place for sentiment in professional sport.

I’m not saying it should by any means, I’m just saying comments saying fans will give him more time because he’s “one of us” are not accurate in my opinion. Hopefully it’s not even an issue and we are on our way to the playoffs.

That said I don’t agree entirely with “there is no room for sentiment in professional sport” - I think professional sport only really exists at the level it does because of sentiment. Yours, mine, millions of other people’s.

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

John Gregory

Villa fan as in 'grew up following the club from the terraces', rather than non-local ex-player who grew to love us (like Gregory, or Brian Little, or - dare I say it? - John Terry). 

• Like 2

Â