Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is also where the 'one of our own' thing comes in. Being a known Villa fan has no relevance to how good a Villa boss he may turn out to be, but it might buy him a bit more tolerance from the fanbase. 

Agreed. Being a villa fan and having a history of playing good football will instantly bring a feel good factor back to VP. Ofcourse he will still need to get results, but if we see progression he will be given time and support. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Obviously I really hope Dean Smith turns out to be a success, pretty sure we all do.

But what I really want is for us as a club to create some structure that means that we don't have to start from scratch every time we change manager.

And that's exactly why we must take a long term view. Smith, CP and the new DOF of football have been brought in for that purpose. 

Which is why we have someone like Smith and not Big Sam at the healm. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

And that's exactly why we must take a long term view. Smith, CP and the new DOF of football have been brought in for that purpose. 

Which is why we have someone like Smith and not Big Sam at the healm. 

well yes. But we must make sure that he's only a cog in the piece and not the be all and end all.

Hoping we create a whole new structure with loads of more people to make sure Smith has the tools to build from the small scale job he did at Brentford.

Villa is a whole other ball game, just replicating the structure they have over there wont be enough.

would be unfair to him to expect him to both handle the first team and recreate the club structure.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

well yes. But we must make sure that he's only a cog in the piece and not the be all and end all.

Hoping we create a whole new structure with loads of more people to make sure Smith has the tools to build from the small scale job he did at Brentford.

Agreed. 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Villa is a whole other ball game, just replicating the structure they have over there wont be enough.

I'd be bloody delighted if we could recreate the Brentford stucture. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Agreed. 

I'd be bloody delighted if we could recreate the Brentford stucture. 

Sure, but at Villa it must be on a much larger scale, especially the scouting part.

And I hope we are not banking on Smith to build that structure because he was "just" Head Coach and played little or no part in building that structure at Brentford.

They tried something like 4 head coaches in about 2 years before they found the right on in Smith.  

Club must create a structure that Smith can thrive as head coach in, sure he can offer helpful input into how to do it.

But he should no be the one to build it. Think it is important that we build our own identity and not try too far to copy some other club.

All respect to Brentford for doing what they've done thou.

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure, but at Villa it must be on a much larger scale, especially the scouting part.

And I hope we are not banking on Smith to build that structure because he was "just" Head Coach and played little or no part in building that structure at Brentford.

They tried something like 4 head coaches in about 2 years before they found the right on in Smith.  

Club must create a structure that Smith can thrive as head coach in, sure he can offer helpful input into how to do it.

But he should no be the one to build it. Think it is important that we build our own identity and not try too far to copy some other club.

All respect to Brentford for doing what they've done thou.

Pitarch has experience of running the kind of setup you're talking about, so he'll no doubt have been horrified with what he's found and be setting about dragging us into this century. More resources at Villa will mena more resources for the structure needed for the goals of the project. It'll be Pitarch's baby on the football side at least in terms of the structure and roles etc. Smith's baby in terms of what actually happens on the pitch, and a group effort to get Smith the setup and raw materials he needs in terms of coaches and players to implement the new thinking.

Exciting stuff. We can certainly learn from Brentford, Pitarch will bring lessons from big spanish clubs too, Purslow has seen those kinds of ideas implemented at big UK clubs too. We're late on this stuff but it finally looks like we're sorting it out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Failing to get us promoted, spending huge amounts and building nothing but a squad of old players and short term loans is a disaster. Leaving us worse off than he found us is a disaster. 

You can celebrate the achievement of losing a playoff final if you want, but his 2 year period has left more of a mess than he inherited. 

No chance Smith does the same. 

I suspect you are conveniently forgetting what a mess we were in when he took over.

But, like I’ve said before, you have given the benchmark by which to judge Dean Smith. No way will he achieve less than the “failure” of a playoff final.

We can track progress as the season progresses.

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I suspect you are conveniently forgetting what a mess we were in when he took over.

But, like I’ve said before, you have given the benchmark by which to judge Dean Smith. No way will he achieve less than the “failure” of a playoff final.

If all he achieves by the end of next season is a playoff final he would have failed.  Finishing 7th or losing 1-0 in the playoff final is the same failure in my opinion. As it was with Bruce.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

That gives us a good benchmark to judge Smith by then. If getting to the playoff final and missing the premier league by a single goal is a “disaster”, Smith has to do better than this to be judged not a “disaster”.

You do know Brucie has gone now don’t you Briny? ?

30 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I assume that's tongue firmly in cheek, you don't expect promotion this year or Smith has failed do you?

Bruce was given a hell of a lot more rope than that before he hung himself.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If all he achieves by the end of next season is a playoff final he would have failed.  Finishing 7th or losing 1-0 in the playoff final is the same failure in my opinion. As it was with Bruce.

Agreed. We finished 4th and then beat Boro, it can be spun both ways. 

Edited by av1

16 minutes ago, sne said:

So will we be allowed to have any kind of opinion on him before he has had a full season, a pre-season and millions to spend? :D

When and if you do, make sure you do it on Facebook.

If it is anything less than complimentary you will be told to "get behind the lads or piss off and support Blues".

Unless that only worked under Bruce.

• Like 2

Â