Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not trying to be mr negative here and i know i'm not known to be the most positive person in here, but.

Paul Lambert did a great job at Norwich a small club, couldn't handle the pressure and expectations of a big club and failed.

Steve Bruce had great success with promoting smaller clubs from the championship, were close but failed as well in the end. Again couldn't handle the pressure and expectations.

Dean Smith is used to coaching small clubs with minimal expectations. In a environment like that it's much easier to succeed. I have my doubts on Dean Smith, hope for the best but i am not positive. 

It wasn't too big for Ron Saunders....sure times have changed and there is more to deal with, like social media etc.....but there are more people to help with that now.

pressure is an abstract.....its brought about by failure, when you are successful its a doddle.

My understanding is he wil have a plan and a style to work with, he will set up with players fully versed in how he wants to play....players will be coached one on one to ensure their contribution, dovetails in with the rest of the team. In KMac's words ,he will get to tidy up their game.

I think coaching wise, there has been a lot to be desired.....He will jack that up.

It will all take time, we need to believe in him.....belief is contagious, its starts with us next Saturday.

Edited by TRO

I think its very difficult to put predictions on where we WILL finish or indeed SHOULD finish.

until the team is in complete shape.....it will just bring frustration, (if the work at BMH is deemed to be too slow.)

who are we to say to ANY manager, what that rate of improvement should be?....we don't know the extent or amount of work that needs doing.....sure we see issues on match day, but that does not translate to how long it reasonably takes to fix it

its not a cop out or free pass.....its a sensible approach to allowing a manager to get on with his work.

i do hope to see little pockets of improvement along the way, to give us hope.

I also think it will help if Dean is able to communicate to us what he is trying to do...I think it was a fault of Steves.....silence and discretion usually is, it smacks of not knowing what your doing....even if you do.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not expecting promotion, I'm expecting this season to be about building proper foundations. We need to unwind the utter shambles that Bruce has left us in, it's paramount that we ship out old, overpaid and average players like Jedinak, Whelan, Taylor, Lansbury (not that old but average and overpaid) etc and we start to play a style of football that focuses on high pressing and intensity without the ball and passing and movement on the ball. 

I also hope to see players like O'Hare being promoted into the first team squad and getting some game time, I think he's a perfect example of a Dean Smith player, he's very aggressive and good on the ball. 

There's a lot of work to do and the mess Bruce has left us in could take a while to fix.

Spot on . Also seen Smith say in that Nike academy video knocking around that he looks at the technical ability of the player ahead of their size so you'd imagine o'hare should be involved. I don't think he's going to have to have too many training sessions to know that jedinak and whelan aren't up to it with the way he wants the game played. My only concern is that he doesn't pander to players who come with bigger repuations but not exactly what he is looking for on a pitch, like the 2 aforementioned. Hope he sticks to his principles. 

• Like 1

Likewise I'm not expecting promotion this year. It's not impossible at all, top 6 is very much attainable and who knows in the play offs. But I think in balance it's unlikely - unless we seriously strengthen at the back in Jan and I doubt we have the funds.

As long as we are laying strong foundations for a real push next year I'm fine with that.

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Will we expect a win at Swansea? I will, lose to them an a few will start making there minds up already. Lose big and we will wonder what we have let ourselves in for. This is how is works yeah??

Nope - Rome wasn't built in a day!

Those players have been plagued by negativity from a manager who seemed to be clutching at straws rather than having a plan of action. We have to allow Smith and co to get their message across and also allow the players time to get used to that plan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Not trying to be mr negative here and i know i'm not known to be the most positive person in here, but.

Paul Lambert did a great job at Norwich a small club, couldn't handle the pressure and expectations of a big club and failed.

Steve Bruce had great success with promoting smaller clubs from the championship, were close but failed as well in the end. Again couldn't handle the pressure and expectations.

Dean Smith is used to coaching small clubs with minimal expectations. In a environment like that it's much easier to succeed. I have my doubts on Dean Smith, hope for the best but i am not positive. 

Lambert was shafted by Lerner. He couldn't polish a turd...that was his problem. 

• Like 2

I don’t think lambert failed because of pressure.  Lambert failed because the owner lost his wife, his funds, and his interest.  

Likewise I don’t think Bruce failed because of pressure.  I think Bruce failed because he doesn’t do tactics and honestly believes that the way to win is get good players and have them play hard with their boots on.   None of this pass and move nonsense required.  

I’m  not saying that the pressure is not great, or that it’s easy to handle    Or how Smith will handle it   But I think the best way to avoid it is put a good product on the field   

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Lambert was shafted by Lerner. He couldn't polish a turd...that was his problem. 

I don't buy this. Are we going to be saying Smith was shafted by Bruce if he struggle's and can't buy any quality.

I understand we need to build a side with Smith, but we need promotion this season or we will end up with a another season in Championship struggling our knackers off like the Brentford's due to FFP, an not being able to bring in any quality. It's no good counting on Smith to turn the team around buying and coaching cheap players into match winners, cause he's been stuck doing that at Brentford with no real chance of promotion.

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Will we expect a win at Swansea? I will, lose to them an a few will start making there minds up already. Lose big and we will wonder what we have let ourselves in for. This is how is works yeah??

Then I’m afraid you will never be happy.

We all know the defence it a bit of a shambles, majority of the squad are away on international duty and to expect players to change, get fit and put into practise Smiths ideas in 5 days is completely unrealistic.

In  addition none of the players  here, bar Hogan from a previous club,  is a Smith signing.

I will judge him once he’s been given an opportunity to build his squad, increase fitness levels and put his ideas across to his squad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stockport_Villain said:

Then I’m afraid you will never be happy.

We all know the defence it a bit of a shambles, majority of the squad are away on international duty and to expect players to change, get fit and put into practise Smiths ideas in 5 days is completely unrealistic.

In  addition none of the players  here, bar Hogan from a previous club,  is a Smith signing.

I will judge him once he’s been given an opportunity to build his squad, increase fitness levels and put his ideas across to his squad. 

I look forward to another season or 2 in the Championship then.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't buy this. Are we going to be saying Smith was shafted by Bruce if he struggle's and can't buy any quality.

I understand we need to build a side with Smith, but we need promotion this season or we will end up with a another season in Championship struggling our knackers off like the Brentford's due to FFP, an not being able to bring in any quality. It's no good counting on Smith to turn the team around buying and coaching cheap players into match winners, cause he's been stuck doing that at Brentford with no real chance of promotion.

The sort of root and branch change being done by the owners doesn't happen overnight, we've still got lots of coaches to hire and a new scouting network to get in place. We've only got the first pieces together as of now to let us do the rest. Going from the "style" of football we've had to the type of thing Smith and O'Kelly like to do is not a small step change. It's massive, he might have an immediate impact but calling for his head if we don't go up this season when Bruce has left us probably better off than we were when he came, but the squad is very unbalanced, we all know where we're thin and where we've mystifyingly got far too many bodies. 

I think we could count on Smith to improve players, he always has by the sounds of it, we have more resources than Brentford even if we don't go up this year. Brentford are a good shout for top six this season, so had he stayed he might have had a shot at promotion with them. Which is the end goal surely? He has better resources here and we're starting a whole new project that he shoudl be integral to, so I don't see why we couldn't get out of this league next season if we can't this. We'll be further down the line with what we're trying to do and we'll have had more time to scout and recruit and get a decent squad together.

If we're playing great football, even at this level we'll be close to filling Villa Park every home game, our away support is some of the best in the country we can draw on much bigger resources than he had at Brentford. I really don't think though we should be expecting promotion this season or else. I'd be disappointed if we didn't manage to get close, but it's early days for the CEO, the DOF, Head Coach etc. and we still haven't hired the rest of them!

I hate the fact that I always have to point out that alot of the "failed" managers people always seem to reference within these talks, never had a pot to piss in.

• Like 1

Dean Smith will have to be careful until the summer transfer window.

There are huge influencers in the dressing room that may not be fit for Smiths style of play.

Jedinak, Whelan, Taylor & Hutton.

Those players  command huge respect in the dressing room and Dean Smith needs those players on side so he can settle in.

The moment Dean Smith decides to isolate them from the entire squad is the moment the whole players will turn against him and Terry.

He needs to box clever and have those players on side until next summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickCousens said:

Likewise I'm not expecting promotion this year. It's not impossible at all, top 6 is very much attainable and who knows in the play offs. But I think in balance it's unlikely - unless we seriously strengthen at the back in Jan and I doubt we have the funds.

As long as we are laying strong foundations for a real push next year I'm fine with that.

Didn't we bid 7 million for McKenna on deadline day?

I doubt we have zero.

CB will definitely be addressed one way or another.

I really don't understand this notion that he won't be given time. 

Bruce bored us to death and it was only after 2yrs that he got pelters at VP. 

Is Smith gives us signs that long term progression is achievable the vast majority of fans will support him though difficult times because root and branch change won't happen overnight. 

We've all been calling for a fundamental change at the club so we need to understand that that won't happen immediately. As long as the signs of progression towards that are there we can't (and i don't think we will) start getting on his back the first time we have a few slumps, this will take time. 

Edited by av1

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I really don't understand this notion that he won't be given time. 

Bruce bored us to death and it was only after 2yrs that he got pelters at VP. 

Is Smith gives us signs that long term progression is achievable the vast majority of fans will support him though difficult times because root and branch change won't happen overnight. 

We've all been calling for a fundamental change at the club so we need to understand that that won't happen overnight. As long as the signs of progression towards that are there we can't (and i don't think we will) start getting on his back the first time we have a few slumps, this will take time. 

This is also where the 'one of our own' thing comes in. Being a known Villa fan has no relevance to how good a Villa boss he may turn out to be, but it might buy him a bit more tolerance from the fanbase. 

Obviously I really hope Dean Smith turns out to be a success, pretty sure we all do.

But what I really want is for us as a club to create some structure that means that we don't have to start from scratch every time we change manager.

• Like 2

Â