Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

If we do keep Smith and he gets a similar amount of money as Bruce had during his time here, yes I absolutely would expect promotion by the play-offs.

And no, Bruce did not do a "respectable" job. He was mediocre at the very most.

Jesus what would your smith be rating then - didn't we win 7 on trott or something , and finish 4th.

3 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

What monumental f*** up has Smith made to turn us from the team that won 3-0 away at Derby & Boro and beat the Albion on their own patch (except for a cheating player and incompetent officials) into the absolute turd of a Steve Brucesque team we are now (and don't put it all on the absence of Grealish as it won't wash)?

Do keep up - its Horihanne  this week.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well the defence now is all his - and by championship standards is pretty expensive. Individually they don't look bad - but organisation wise they looked poor...

Hutton isn’t his, although the right back position has been taken care of for next season, hopefully. 

Not sure how much Mings and Hause would be bought for and how much they’ll be on. I think it’s fair to say that their combined wages wouldn’t match Terry’s. That’s just the one instance. I don’t think we’ll be in a position to buy players like Lansbury, Bree, Hogan etc and not play them. It is going to be very different.

My point generally was that saying “Smith not making the play offs next season means Bruce did better last season” is only accurate to an extent as the funds/existing talent available is likely to wildly different.

Like I say, if the recent form carries on, I’m not convinced he will be here for the comparison to even be debated.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

The biggest disappointment for me has been his inability to adapt. Since losing Grealish, performances and results have been unacceptable. Why have we persisted with Abraham up front on his own, when we have Kodjia - one of our and the league's best players when on his game - on the bench? If not Kodjia, what about Davis? And then we have Hourihane, who continues to play in this deep role that he simply cannot play.

I have confidence in Smith if he is able to bring in a whole new team of his own players. But surely, if we are looking long term, we should have a manager that can adapt to what he's given. It doesn't particularly bode well with Grealish probably not going to be here next season, as well as Abraham, Mings, and maybe even McGinn. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Jesus what would your smith be rating then - didn't we win 7 on trott or something , and finish 4th.

I'm not even defending Smith? If he's here for as long as Bruce was and can only get us runners-up in the play-offs after spending a lot of money then yes I will judge him just as harshly.

• Like 1

Smith should do us all a favour by doing a "steve coppell" and resigning tonight.

We should then put the feelers out for Arsene Wenger and if he don't want it blow big sam out of the water.

A new manager bounce might just take us to the play offs.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Smith has had this in his locker from both his Walsall and Brentford days, and by this I mean his team go on long stretches of games without a win and was probably my major concern as I think good managers recognise this and stop the rot and rebuild confidence.

I would have expected him to have done something a long time ago to stop this but he hasnt. 

Needs to try something different because if he carries on like this we will be fighting at the wrong end of the table.

4 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

He's really not helping himself is he? I know he can't exactly kill morale by slating everyone on the pitch, but at lease admit that our performances are dire. 

Unless he truly believes the game could have gone either way. In which case, we have a problem.. 

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 1

I said from the very first day that appointing Smith was a mistake. This is a massive club, in a massive state, representing a massive challenge requiring a massive personality. Smith is not that man. He has been found out so easily. Nice man but not the right man for us. I wish him well but at the end of the season, he must go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hutton isn’t his, although the right back position has been taken care of for next season, hopefully. 

Not sure how much Mings and Hause would be bought for and how much they’ll be on. I think it’s fair to say that their combined wages would match Terry’s. That’s just the one instance. I don’t think we’ll be in a position to buy players like Lansbury, Bree, Hogan etc and not play them. It is going to be very different.

My point generally was that saying “Smith not making the play offs next season means Bruce did better last season” is only accurate to an extent as the funds/existing talent available is likely to wildly different.

Like I say, if the recent form carries on, I’m not convinced he will be here for the comparison to even be debated.

Well Hutton wasn't a Bruce signing either.

I Would be all for giving Smith time if he had done something other than produce leaky defensive mid table teams. But that has followed him here, even with big money spent on a GK , a PL CB in Mings (Cost bournemouth £8-12m) , and a player of his own choosing in Hause. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

In that interview he sounds like he’s at a loss with everything. The pressure showing. 

He looks to me like he has given up with some of this group for me. I think he really didn't realise what. A mess we were. In before he came here. 

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I said from the very first day that appointing Smith was a mistake. This is a massive club, in a massive state, representing a massive challenge requiring a massive personality. Smith is not that man. He has been found out so easily. Nice man but not the right man for us. I wish him well but at the end of the season, he must go.

Yup - almost 40k in attendance today - it seems one of the biggest clubs in championship - poached the manager from one of the smallest.......what could possibly go wrong....???

• Like 1

Â