Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Snodgrass looked good, because the plan was get it wide and smash it into the box when you can. Grealish and Snodgrass were part of the bunch of players near our 18 yard line looking through binoculars at Hogan and shouting "FIRE" as it got lumped at him ;)

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Nothing like a complete exaggeration. Wonder how players like snodgrass and Grealish managed to look so good with no players around. The idea that Hogan's issues with us are nothing to do with him is ridiculous. He worked well, for a short period in comparison to his career at 27 years old. Not unheard of for shit players to have a short magic spell once. 

Hogan was just another example of Aston Villa paying too much money for an average footballer. Wages get doubled or trebled and then they contribute **** all

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KHV said:

Hogan was just another example of Aston Villa paying too much money for an average footballer. Wages get doubled or trebled and then they contribute **** all

Hopefully we will have people in place now that when it comes to signing players that they are on sensible pay terms, over a decent period, and not filled with daft clauses that may sting the club etc.

No more N'Zogbia's, McCormacks, Richards, Lescott, Senderos, Beye, J Cole etc.

I dare not even think about how much money we wasted on wages on these 7 players alone in the last 10 years.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Nothing like a complete exaggeration. Wonder how players like snodgrass and Grealish managed to look so good with no players around. 

Tbf, there's a big difference between being isolated as a midfielder, and being stood 40 yards ahead of everyone as a lone target man.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Really? Why?

Bruce was a disaster. No chance its worse. 

I think people are expecting us to suddenly implement Brentford's style which is simply not going to happen, at least not in the short term. He has been managing smaller clubs his whole career and his record is decent but nothing spectacular IMO.

I'm not sure he will be successful here. I hope I'm wrong but I am not convinced this is going to end well.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I know. I just can't buy into the idea that Hogan can be key to these quick one touch passing to build up attacks. Without exaggeration, i think he is the worst passing attacker i have ever seen wear the shirt. 

Looking at his stats for his whole villa career, he averages around 5 completed passes every time he plays. That is just laughably abysmal.

If Smith does some amazing trick to change that, then he truly is a managerial genius. 

With better coaching and surrounded by pass and move players, it is possible that Hogan’s passing at Brentford was better and Bruceball has set his game back. It’s also possible that Hogan”s passing was never that great but it didn’t matter so much when his “touches” ended up in the goal.

I still can”t help thinking Hogan’s purple patch (an amazing goal season at Brentford) is unlikely to be repeated for us but I’ll will be very impressed by Dean Smith if he gets Hogan playing to even half of that form.

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Tbf, there's a big difference between being isolated as a midfielder, and being stood 40 yards ahead of everyone as a lone target man.

I could accept this idea if hogan only struggled when the ball was lumped to him. But he was just as shit when he was given the ball to feet.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, KHV said:

As more time goes by the more underwhelmed I become by Dean Smith's appointment. I have a feeling this will be a disaster

I no where your coming from, he reminds me to much of Lambert, up and coming and we destroyed him. I'm just glad Terry's come with him to handle the ego's and big names, just feel Smith is not a big enough name for big players to respect at the moment. We may not be a man U or Chelsea, but the pressure is just as much at times, an remember Smith and his team  were managing Walsall FC just 3 years ago, a team with no real ambition or money.

On a positive note though I got my ticket for Swansea, an will be 100% behind him an the boys, looking forward to good times............................... hopefully.

Edited by foreveryoung

17 minutes ago, romavillan said:

That's weird as he was a crucial part of a Brentford attack that was all about playing to feet, one and two touch, quickly, on the edge of the box to find a way to play him in through the lines. 

Hard to do that when your nearest team mate is 50 yards away and you're receiving the ball at 200mph neck high from 50 yards with your back to goal, coolly playing a one touch, one two, with someone that far away is tricky.

But you know, maybe you're right. Maybe it was Hogan.

When Hogan was with us after his injury when he scored 21 in 33 games we were more predictable and basically balls were played through to him rather than to feet the same as his predecessor Andrei Gray.He was by far the best finisher I’ve ever seen play for us.It was after he left and Thomas Frank joined that we played a lot more one touch football and the goals were shared around a bit more.Smith I’m sure will get more out of Hogan if he can keep him fit.Like most Bees fans wish Dean Smith all the best he’s a smashing bloke and very well liked and I expect it will be a seemless move on to Thomas Frank as head coach for us.Hope Villa give him time as you will see he has a history of going on winless runs where clubs like us and Walsall gave him time.I think his biggest threat is from John Terry as most neutral fans have said who would want him covering your back.Look forward to Villa coming to Griffin Park for maybe the last time in February when it will be very interesting to see where both clubs are and I’m sure Dean will get a good reception.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I no where your coming from, he reminds me to much of Lambert, up and coming and we destroyed him. I'm just glad Terry's come with him to handle the ego's and big names, just feel Smith is not a big enough name for big players to respect at the moment. We may not be a man U or Chelsea, but the pressure is just as much at times, an remember Smith and his team  were managing Walsall FC just 3 years ago, a team with no real ambition or money.

On a positive note though I got my ticket for Swansea, an will be 100% behind him an the boys, looking forward to good times............................... hopefully.

My biggest worry is the fans, I don't think there will be an instant upturn in results. Villa fans want and expect results, this squad is a shambles at the moment. I fear he may be on a hiding to nothing

1 minute ago, KHV said:

My biggest worry is the fans, I don't think there will be an instant upturn in results. Villa fans want and expect results, this squad is a shambles at the moment. I fear he may be on a hiding to nothing

i think we will give him time, although as a few fans are saying they don't mind about promotion this season, to me it's still a must. if we finish midtable, it won't be good enough, which is why I thought we needed a bigger name with more experience just to force us across the line this season. 

Another worry for me is weather Terry will get on with Smith's team. Will they let him take a certain amount of control or will they tell him what to do, as I don' think he will enjoy being managed by a lesser character than his is, he will want a big input, because in the end, say what you like, we are just a stepping stone for his move into full time management no doubt.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

i think we will give him time, although as a few fans are saying they don't mind about promotion this season, to me it's still a must. if we finish midtable, it won't be good enough, which is why I thought we needed a bigger name with more experience just to force us across the line this season. 

Another worry for me is weather Terry will get on with Smith's team. Will they let him take a certain amount of control or will they tell him what to do, as I don' think he will enjoy being managed by a lesser character than his is, he will want a big input, because in the end, say what you like, we are just a stepping stone for his move into full time management no doubt.

If we don't go up this year then we will have to clear out the entire first team. No way next year we can be paying people between £20k-£75k per week. It may take us years to get out of this league if we miss it this year (which I think we will)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KHV said:

That will depend how we hold our nerve and get behind him.

We have spent the last 10 years looking for instant reactions.

The financial position is not compatible with the rationale to turn around a disfunctional team....that is a tricky bit for the board.

He must be given time to develop his work......you can't plant an apple tree and expect fruit next week....we have to be mature and sensible as fans.

I have no idea how this will turn out or with any other appointment.....why would I.

We just have to see how we go....but at least we can rest assured he has enough emotional investment to give it his best shot....he knows what effective players look like and where to get them.....he has a real chance.

its not big names that bring success, its big attitudes....Ron Saunders showed us that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Really? Why?

Bruce was a disaster. No chance its worse. 

That gives us a good benchmark to judge Smith by then. If getting to the playoff final and missing the premier league by a single goal is a “disaster”, Smith has to do better than this to be judged not a “disaster”.

46 minutes ago, KHV said:

That's a weird stick to use. Wouldn't that be the case for any manager? 

Not trying to be mr negative here and i know i'm not known to be the most positive person in here, but.

Paul Lambert did a great job at Norwich a small club, couldn't handle the pressure and expectations of a big club and failed.

Steve Bruce had great success with promoting smaller clubs from the championship, were close but failed as well in the end. Again couldn't handle the pressure and expectations.

Dean Smith is used to coaching small clubs with minimal expectations. In a environment like that it's much easier to succeed. I have my doubts on Dean Smith, hope for the best but i am not positive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I think people are expecting us to suddenly implement Brentford's style which is simply not going to happen, at least not in the short term. He has been managing smaller clubs his whole career and his record is decent but nothing spectacular IMO.

I'm not sure he will be successful here. I hope I'm wrong but I am not convinced this is going to end well.

I think you are right about a quick turn around and instant reaction......long term, we just have to wait and see and let his work at BMH mature.

I think the tell tale sign will be incremental improvement in small details that come together to create an overall improvement.

Edited by TRO

Â