Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bruce was taking us into a relegation battle. 1 win in 9 and we had played only 2 teams in the current top half of the table in his first 11 games and Sheffield united battered us

We are actually in a better position in the table than when Bruce left but you already know that

No he weren't.

We were going through a bad spell similar to Hull who managed to turned it around.

If you think we would get relegated with this squad you are deluded. There are far worse teams in this league.

Difference is Hull gave their manager the time to turn it around and we didn't in a desperate attempt to reach top 6. And on here people are suggesting sacking DS after only 10 games next season, looks like certain people on here have learned nothing.

If you are going to sack your manager do it in the summer, end of.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No he weren't.

We were going through a bad spell similar to Hull who managed to turned it around.

If you think we would get relegated with this squad you are deluded. There are far worse teams in this league.

Difference is Hull gave their manager the time to turn it around and we didn't in a desperate attempt to reach top 6. And on here people are suggesting sacking DS after only 10 games next season, looks like certain people on here have learned nothing.

If you are going to sack your manager do it in the summer, end of.

teams Bruce couldnt beat with this squad. Ipswich, Reading(also couldnt with Sheffield Wed), Preston(who had a nightmare start), Blackburn, Brentford(I forget who managed Brentford that day) and Sheffield Wednesday

Did you really then expect him to get results vs Derby, Blues, Leeds, Boro, West Brom, Stoke, Swansea and Forest. He was taking us one way and it was down

Edited by Zatman

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Did you really then expect him to get results vs Derby, Blues, Leeds, Boro, West Brom, Stoke, Swansea and Forest. He was taking us one way and it was down

Things change fast in this league, Hull is the best example and Fulham last year.

Maybe you are right in your prediction and maybe you are not. Regardless, only giving him till October is rather quick to judge.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Things change fast in this league, Hull is the best example and Fulham last year.

Maybe you are right in your prediction and maybe you are not. Regardless, only giving him till October is rather quick to judge.

but it wasnt changing under Bruce. He was playing players out of position still to the end and he was clueless as what to do

Best thing club did was sack him

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was playing players out of position

Wouldn't you say Kodjia currently plays out of position?

Pep plays Delph out of position. Man Utd plays Valencia and Young out of position. It's not uncommon in football to convert players into different positions.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wouldn't you say Kodjia currently plays out of position?

Pep plays Delph out of position. Man Utd plays Valencia and Young out of position. It's not uncommon in football to convert players into different positions.

forwards can usually play across the attacking line, well good forwards can. as for Valencia and Young they have always been  good defensive wingers to play that position

Jedinak at centre back was never going to work and everybody knew it was an accident waiting to happen except one person. Anyway is a number of Steve Bruce threads to go on about his shitness

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Bringing in DS has done nothing this season. 

We are finishing mid table, so sticking by Bruce till the summer wouldn't have changed anything.

So its given smith 8 months to start building his squad. 

Much better than letting bruce continue to damage us.

56 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

1. Log in to Dean Smith thread

2. Think “I bet they’ll be having a jolly interesting discussion about Dean Smith!”

3. Read thread- they are actually taking about Steve Bruce!

😏

K2Rnl0w.gif?noredirect

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

So its given smith 8 months to start building his squad. 

Much better than letting bruce continue to damage us.

What building? The majority of the signings been loans and Abraham + Axel aren't here next year.

All the squad building is happening in the summer regardless if he arrived now or in the summer.

All i am saying is only giving Bruce time till October is ridicilous when we decided to keep him in the summer.

14 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Firstly we are not playing football worse than the season we got relegated open your eyes. It maybe not be to the standards we would like and it should be alot better but it's not there, that was happening under bruce before Smith came in. If we was playing football worse we would be fighting a relegation battle again wouldnt we.

You took what I said about us lowering expectations and span it in your own way. I basically said if we're looking at what is an impossible approach to promotion this season, what is the point in keep on aiming for it. I don't expect Anyone to lower there expectation of us being promoted if promotion is a realistic thing. I don't think it is possible unless we dramatically improve so why keep chasing a dream this season that isn't going to happen when we can prepare for next season in other ways.

I never even said fans should lower expectations of trying to win matches either, very good on making rubbish up. I was talking in relation to if we wasn't seeing promotion there then us being in tenth place doesn't look so bad on results and it doesn't. Think of it this way if the owners are not thinking about promotion being a thing then they are not screwing over the thought of us being where we are in the slightest. In fact the owners might be thinking that the current run of results under Smith is and would of been a better run of results under Bruce so it's an improvement none the less.

We got torn apart by the mighty Wigan, they hadn't scored from open play for over a month before they played us and they could have had 5 yes Wigan could have scored 5.  Smith moaned about the Ref in that game and he mentioned it again on Friday I think someone needs to tell him the Referee had absolutely no bearing on the Wigan game him complaining about the ref in that game is just making him look stupid.

Regarding the bit in bold without promotion we'll lose Grealish, Abraham and possibly McGinn so we will have a squad with a huge amount less quality next season so just saying no promotion oh well is bizarre it's a mentality that says failure is OK.

I'll keep my expectation of wanting to believe we could win every game we go into and the expectation that I don't think 1 win in 12 is acceptable,  being so lax about the current situation is once again saying failure is acceptable. You can't be successful in anything sport or otherwise if you are willing to accept failure.

The most alarming thing is Smith is doing the same thing over and over again despite it being obvious to anyone that it isn't working it's like he's run out of ideas,  If he wants to show that he isn't just your average mid table championship manager things have to change and soon because if things carry on as they are I won't be surprised if the owners decide that he isn't the man for the job in the summer (I would like to reiterate that I will give him next season like i did with Bruce but imo if things carry on i don't think i'll get the chance to give him that time)

Edited by Stuartc445

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't see how the results are getting worse we came back and got a point from behind against the third best team in the league. 

Performances yes have been crap to poor but results wise its not got worse been about the same id say. 

It's draws that are killing us, we've had 15 minutes so far in 2019 where the performance can be described as decent where we scored 3 goals but it doesn't look so rosy when you consider 2 of those 3 were either a terrible goalkeeping error and a defensive mistake you wouldn't even expect our terrible defence to make.

Edited by Stuartc445

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What building? The majority of the signings been loans and Abraham + Axel aren't here next year.

All the squad building is happening in the summer regardless if he arrived now or in the summer.

All i am saying is only giving Bruce time till October is ridicilous when we decided to keep him in the summer.

We weren't  the only people interested in Smith. I'm not sure you like to think too hard about it but many clubs change manager mid season and move to get the one they want. Are you saying Southampton should have stuck with Adkins over Pochettino? Or United should have stuck with Mourinho? Or any of the thousands of examples of it working out long term or short term by changing manager. Truth is you're twisting anything you can to fit the argument that we shouldn't have Smith. It's hilarious you predict Bruce would have turned it around with as much fervour as you say Grealish and Axel won't make a difference.

As in, you predict Bruce would have turned it around but you also predict that Smith won't. You have no idea at all if either is right but you are sure as anything sticking to your imaginary guns. 

I've rarely read anyone so blindly prejudiced tbh. You are either a genuine soothsayer or full of hot air.

Edited by praisedmambo

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The main reason Bruce was kept on until summer was the new owners wanted to evaluate what was going on after a hectic summer. He had 11 games and showed we were going nowhere with him and was rightly binned

If come summer 2020 we are going nowhere under Smith I can see the same happening again. Purslow is ruthless.  I would rather give Smith a pre-season than allowing Bruce another window with us

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No....he was given a chance to impress the new owners and he failed!!

Â