Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Against my better judgement I took HeyAnty's 1 win in 12 as bible. I do think that the Hand of Rod completely derailed us. In the grand scheme of things we all want a winning Villa side. The results have been poor and I hope for a strong run to finish the season not for promotion, cause I feel thats gone, but for some form to carry us into next season. 

Boxing Day was certainly a rough day, even the Berocca before bed didn't help and the day after was even worse. 

I think some are including the FA cup game, which they’re of course free to, but I don’t feel it has much relevance to our immediate targets we have as a club. 

Yep the Baggies robbing the point shortly followed by the Leeds capitulation has derailed us massively. This sort of hangover from a bad result is something we’ve struggled with for years. 

I have my doubts, a few questions to be answered but I hope that the Sheff Utd comeback will have an equal, but opposite effect. If we beat Brentford, I fancy us to carry that on and get a win against Baggies. Big “if” though.

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

See i think this is a ridiculous comparison.  Smith's team is in div 2, which we are probably the biggest team in it.  These managers were playing against the top teams every week.

Its the same with this rubbish about Abraham scoring 20 goals and being compared against our greats.  If Villa were in the Vauxhall conference and i was up front, i might manage 20 goals.

Problem with us Villa fans is that we are starting to get comfortable with div 2 achievements and trying to compare them with past achievements when we were a top side .  

This all day, every day and twice on Sundays!

Way too many fans (particularly on Twitter) are far too happy to just accept the dross being served up.....ooh he needs time, ooh they're not his players, ooh we're missing Jack.......all of the factors have an effect to some degree, but nothing excuses what is happening, we are going backwards, not improving. Something is just not right.....the chemistry isn't right. We don't even look like we're on the right path in my opinion. Can accept results (given the above excuses) if you can see improvement and a style emerging. I genuinely see no difference in our 'style' since the start of the season. Our home performance against Brentford was as good a footballing performance as anything we've seen since. 

I would challenge anyone to name a player that has improved since Dean Smith took over? What exactly does Richard O'Kelly do? What exactly does John Terry do? The longer we have between games (ie. more training sessions) the worse we tend to look.

Do we have to wait for every player in the squad to have been bought by Smith and all of them to be 100% fit for the whole season until we can expect him to get results? 

Not calling for his head but the blind faith shown is staggering....you simply cannot dare to question him.

Sorry to rant. Thoroughly and utterly pissed off with Villa!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

I would challenge anyone to name a player that has improved since Dean Smith took over? 

Tuanzebe, Jack, McGinn, Tammy even Hutton, Nyland and Whelan have played at a better level than they did under Bruce

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Way too many fans (particularly on Twitter) are far too happy to just accept the dross being served up.....ooh he needs time, ooh they're not his players, ooh we're missing Jack.......all of the factors have an effect to some degree, but nothing excuses what is happening, we are going backwards, not improving. Something is just not right.....the chemistry isn't right. We don't even look like we're on the right path in my opinion. Can accept results (given the above excuses) if you can see improvement and a style emerging. I genuinely see no difference in our 'style' since the start of the season. Our home performance against Brentford was as good a footballing performance as anything we've seen since. 

I would challenge anyone to name a player that has improved since Dean Smith took over? What exactly does Richard O'Kelly do? What exactly does John Terry do? The longer we have between games (ie. more training sessions) the worse we tend to look.

Do we have to wait for every player in the squad to have been bought by Smith and all of them to be 100% fit for the whole season until we can expect him to get results? 

Not calling for his head but the blind faith shown is staggering....you simply cannot dare to question him.

Sorry to rant. Thoroughly and utterly pissed off with Villa!

Yep - Graham Taylor got out of this division with Steve Sims and Bernie Gallagher in his defence.

Terry has minimal involvement from what I hear - Really wouldn't be surprised if he moves on in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Tuanzebe, Jack, McGinn, Tammy even Hutton, Nyland and Whelan have played at a better level than they did under Bruce

Can't say he's improved Tuanzebe...he's just played him in his correct position. As a young player his performances will naturally improve as he plays more games. 

Hasn't improved Jack. His game no different to before. 

Tammy - not sure i agree as he has been performing all season, but I'm happy to accept that one

McGinn has been our best player all season, since day one! Is he better now than under Bruce? not sure

He improved Nyland? So then he bought a new £7m keeper?...ok!

Hutton and Whelan?.....come on, lets be sensible. I've got no problem with Hutton or Whelan, they are what they are....but I'm not having Dean Smith has improved them. That's crazy!

59 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think some are including the FA cup game, which they’re of course free to, but I don’t feel it has much relevance to our immediate targets we have as a club. 

Yep the Baggies robbing the point shortly followed by the Leeds capitulation has derailed us massively. This sort of hangover from a bad result is something we’ve struggled with for years. 

I have my doubts, a few questions to be answered but I hope that the Sheff Utd comeback will have an equal, but opposite effect. If we beat Brentford, I fancy us to carry that on and get a win against Baggies. Big “if” though.

Actually the top six is starting to look more or less sorted - so I think we will have a few meaningless games towards the end of the season - that will probably keep smith in a job.  Fear for us next season though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Actually the top six is starting to look more or less sorted - so I think we will have a few meaningless games towards the end of the season - that will probably keep smith in a job.  Fear for us next season though.

I'm actually looking forward to see Villa next season wherever they're playing. Most of the old out of contract fuddy duddies will have gone in the summer hopefully replaced by younger more vibrant footballers who can actuality pass a ball and run without blowing a head gasket after 20 minutes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Can't say he's improved Tuanzebe...he's just played him in his correct position. As a young player his performances will naturally improve as he plays more games. 

Hasn't improved Jack. His game no different to before. 

Tammy - not sure i agree as he has been performing all season, but I'm happy to accept that one

McGinn has been our best player all season, since day one! Is he better now than under Bruce? not sure

He improved Nyland? So then he bought a new £7m keeper?...ok!

Hutton and Whelan?.....come on, lets be sensible. I've got no problem with Hutton or Whelan, they are what they are....but I'm not having Dean Smith has improved them. That's crazy!

Disagree on this point. He has encouraged Jack to get in the box more, resulting in him scoring 2 goals (against Blues and Bolton) from inside the area. Those goals wouldn’t have happened previously because Jack was never in the box.

5 minutes ago, striker said:

I'm actually looking forward to see Villa next season wherever they're playing. Most of the old out of contract fuddy duddies will have gone in the summer hopefully replaced by younger more vibrant footballers who can actuality pass a ball and run without blowing a head gasket after 20 minutes.

Think we are overdoing the age thing. We have u23's if you really want youth and players like Bree ? - if you really want youth.

To me if your requiring your players to charge up the pitch at 100mph - then turn and run back at 100mph - you are doing something wrong.

45 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

What world do you live in I wonder? All I see are people questioning him, on here, on twitter, on facebook... everywhere. TBH don't think I've ever seen a manager/coach being questioned this heavily, so soon into his tenure before. It's both ridiculous and embarrassing, considering what he's had to work with...

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

See i think this is a ridiculous comparison.  Smith's team is in div 2, which we are probably the biggest team in it.  These managers were playing against the top teams every week.

Its the same with this rubbish about Abraham scoring 20 goals and being compared against our greats.  If Villa were in the Vauxhall conference and i was up front, i might manage 20 goals.

Problem with us Villa fans is that we are starting to get comfortable with div 2 achievements and trying to compare them with past achievements when we were a top side .  

Please yourself what you think but don’t call it ridiculous just because you disagree.

I can’t be arsed debating it but your point is utterly irrelevant in my view.

All I’ve done is list the points totals for each Manager. That’s a factual record of how they did. If you wish to relate to comfort levels etc that’s up to you.

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Those two games absolutely killed us and that was ss turning point for why I don't think we are going up. I think had we six points out of those two I think we would have gone on a unbelievable run and be in top three. 

Those two games really effected our confidence bad. 

50 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think we are overdoing the age thing. We have u23's if you really want youth and players like Bree ? - if you really want youth.

We did the youth thing during the Lambert era.

No good signing young players if they are nothing but average

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

or maybe people need to realise we are no longer a powerhouse in English football and are a mediocre team now which has gone downhill for 10 years now

Powerhouse we arent in terms of yesteryear, but go through the players starting at our GK.  Nearly all 5+ millon.  Every other team in the division would be heaven with that.  This excuse that we don't have the players is rubbish.  On bad form we should be 4 or 5th at worst, good form the top of the league.

Our system killed us under Bruce this season, Smith hasnt changed that system.  He has to take allot of the flack for that imo.

8 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Powerhouse we arent in terms of yesteryear, but go through the players starting at our GK.  Nearly all 5+ millon.  Every other team in the division would be heaven with that.  This excuse that we don't have the players is rubbish.  On bad form we should be 4 or 5th at worst, good form the top of the league.

Our system killed us under Bruce this season, Smith hasnt changed that system.  He has to take allot of the flack for that imo.

I'm guessing if anyone would've offered us even a million a piece for the likes of Hutton, Taylor, Hourihane, Whelan, Jedinak, Lansbury, Adomah, Elmo, Richards, Bjarnason, Gardner, etc., we'd have bitten their hands off in a heartbeat. 

Just how is he supposed to "change the system", with the players available to him? He's lucky to be able to field a semifit starting eleven ffs. Not to mention two of our best performers have also been injured for the past two months or so. 

3 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Smith's team is in div 2, which we are probably the biggest team in it.  These managers were playing against the top teams every week.

2 hours ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Agree with these two posts and It's been said for weeks by many.

Something is not right but putting our finger on this is difficult.

I still wonder where the hell our come back came from on Friday night? So many guesses and suggestions could be made as to how but it's something I wouldn't get carried away with either. I am not expecting us to go on some mazy run or expecting a surge of good results because of this.

For the tools he has to work he is doing/done well in the beginning but I feel we could be doing better - going by the results of late.

27 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Mm Hutton and Taylor are worth 50p between them 

We dont have a great squad and most our players are worth **** all

Only reason overpriced is we paid stupid money for them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Can't say he's improved Tuanzebe...he's just played him in his correct position (Improvement in itself - although this is common sense). As a young player his performances will naturally improve as he plays more games. 

Hasn't improved Jack. (He has had probably a month and a half with Jack..WTF?) His game no different to before. 

McGinn has been our best player all season, since day one! Is he better now than under Bruce? not sure - DITTO

He improved Nyland? So then he bought a new £7m keeper?...ok! - It is almost universal that Nyland needed improving or/changing

Hutton and Whelan?.....come on, lets be sensible. I've got no problem with Hutton or Whelan, they are what they are....but I'm not having Dean Smith has improved them. That's crazy! - DITTO

Â