Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You can't ever get promoted when you are conceding this many goals.

Check out his past record at the clubs he's managed. His defensive record is awful and it is a big worry.  If he can improve on this then great, but i have my doubts.

We'd have never guessed. 

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed, the young Frenc RB we signed is the perfect example of how difficult it is to sign players in January. 

Yeah we have RB sorted for next season, forgot about that for a minute :)

20 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Smith is obviously trying to change the club and this takes time, time I’m sure he will get.

The one thing that I find most odd though, is where has the pressing gone? When he first came in we were pressing high up the pitch, winning the ball back in dangerous areas And always being on the front foot. However, we seem to have stopped that now. I just don’t get it.

I think this may be deliberate!

We were high pressing well but fading badly in games, as fitness levels were not where they needed to be. 

Maybe with an ageing team we had to adapt.  Seems to me we now press in certain stages, we stand off teams then rush in planned situation. 

However im not sure the whole team know how to do it as a unit atm.  Plenty of times 2 or 3 press their men but because the one or two dont it leaves options for the opposition; This results in us being caught out of position for a counter attack. 

This may be a reason we have stopped trying it as to tighten up.

This element will return and improve once we get the right players in IMO.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Avcol said:

I'm not giving him any credit for getting out of that one. Sure, he made the changes but it was just one of those mad ones where they crumbled at the back under a bit of manic pressure after the Mings goal. Got to admit it was really dreadful stuff until 82 minutes and after their third goal went in I was envisaging a 5-0 hammering. 

I hate mentioning Grealish all the time but without him the creativity going forward is painfully non existent. That we scored three goals in the last 10 minutes is just ridiculous. I didn't think we were gonna score if we played til midnight. 

If we can build on this and go to Brentford and win, the Baggies game at Villa Park will be juicy. 

In all fairness it should not have been 2-0 really - so if we had got the second goal who knows !

its all ifs buts and maybe's this morning.

But no matter how you view the game overall - to snatch a point the way we did is fantastic.

Our promotion push could have ended last night - the psychological damage inflicted could have taken a few games to get over - games we don't have in all honesty 

1 minute ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I think he will be ok with the pressure he’s a strong character and I firmly believe given time and maybe another coach alongside him he will get you to the PL.Minimum must be given next season.

I think the same but it's nice to hear the opinion of fans from former clubs. 

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think this may be deliberate.  We were high pressing well but fading badly in games as fitness levels were not where they need to be. 

Maybe with an ageing team we had to adapt.  Seems to me we now press in certain stages, we stand off teams then rush in a certain situation. 

However im not sure the whole team know how to do it as a unit atm.  Plenty of times 2 or 3 press their men but because the one or two dont it leaves options for the opposition. This results in us being caught out of position for a counter attack.  This may be a reason we have stopped doing it as we needed to tighten up, but this will obviously mean we are less potent in attack.

This element will return and improve once we get the right players in IMO.

I agree it does definitely appear to be a plan now. Personally I would’ve liked us to stick doing what we were doing. The more players use that system the more they get used to it for next season. Then with a couple of additions in the summer, we’d be better prepared. Now it seems it will be a complete learning curve again in the summer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Smith is obviously trying to change the club and this takes time, time I’m sure he will get.

The one thing that I find most odd though, is where has the pressing gone? When he first came in we were pressing high up the pitch, winning the ball back in dangerous areas And always being on the front foot. However, we seem to have stopped that now. I just don’t get it. Yes we were conceding goals, but we were also creating so much, despite three goals yesterday I wouldn’t say we were that creative. Yes Grealish is out the team, but surely he can’t make that much difference. 

It was two last minute goals in consecutive weeks (Albion and Leeds) that derailed our confidence, hoping the last couple of come back will be enough for us to gain confidence again. 

I agree this is a huge problem. Pressing is a whole team effort, and you only need one or two players to shirk their responsibilities for the whole thing to fail. It also requires a lot of stamina to do it for 90 mins, so you normally either need to dominate possession, or do it in bursts.

My sense is that with Grealish in the team, our players get a lot more time to catch their breath and find their shape. He helps us manage the pace of the game and retain possession. Compare that with Hourihane or Jedinak who receive the ball in space and immediately ping a speculative pass into touch.

I'd judge the pressing tactics on the players who have a future under DS (i.e. the younger lads). They all seem to be pressing and tracking back (McGinn, Tammy, El Ghazi). It's the lads who are playing for their summer transfer who are more concerned with scoring a good goal or playing a Hollywood ball for the highlights reel (Kodjia, Hourihane), and aren't helping out (was the same with Bolasie).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I agree it does definitely appear to be a plan now. Personally I would’ve liked us to stick doing what we were doing. The more players use that system the more they get used to it for next season. Then with a couple of additions in the summer, we’d be better prepared. Now it seems it will be a complete learning curve again in the summer. 

Probably, but it shouldn't really be a problem, considering we'll most likely have an altogether new team come next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

I agree Smith isnt on Klopps level. I dont even think he is on Ian Holloways level.

Klopp had previous before joining liverpool....Smith previous ........??? oh yeah he got Brentford 9ths..

You have a point about Smith's previous record. Brentford had already finished 5th the season before he arrived. But before that they had been a third-tier team for decades. He helped make them a perennial Championship side. They were also going through a transition from a Manager model to a Sporting Director + Head Coach model when he arrived. Clearly Brentford's club leadership and fans thought DS did a good job of handling that, and I value their opinion more than yours.

I still say it's a win-win for us with Dean Smith. If it doesn't work out, he'll leave behind a young squad that another head coach with a similar philosophy can inherit, and hit the ground running. Purslow is finally abandoning the panic transfer policy and high wages for bench warmers strategy that has been f***ing this club for years. DS buys into this, and for that alone, he deserves a chance.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

In all fairness it should not have been 2-0 really - so if we had got the second goal who knows !

its all ifs buts and maybe's this morning.

But no matter how you view the game overall - to snatch a point the way we did is fantastic.

Our promotion push could have ended last night - the psychological damage inflicted could have taken a few games to get over - games we don't have in all honesty 

Wasn't the second goal surrounded in controversy?? ball kicked out of Lovre's hand??

Plus I think people are forgetting sheffield utd are the darkhorses in this league, they have silently been inform because Leeds and Norwich have been taking the headlines.

Edited by Dave-R

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We have better resources than Brentford, don't we? I didn't think that needed to be stated. I despair.

Next season will be much better when those who needed to be moved on go. If the recent acquisitions are anything to go by then it's looking up I think next season is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For me he is setting the foundations for a good team.

Goalie....not sure yet

RB sorted for next season

LB to be sorted.

CD..2 fast,aggressive ,competative,comfortable on the ball defenders.....sorted

CDM.....needs to be sorted.

Competative ball playing midfielder....sorted

Footballing midfielder.......sorted

CF......sorted

2 wide players who can score and create......jurys out.

Overall I think his philosophy is becoming more noticeable and it needs more pace and energy, particularly in midfield, and better footballing FBs.

He's getting there, and you can't say it's not entertaining 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Doesn't that bit in bold also apply to Smith this season? Don't forget Bruce also had terrible runs in both seasons (if I'm remembering correctly). 

Not really no, we weren't in free fall as a club, when Smith took over we had not just been relegated and struggling in the championship. I don't think they are the same. 

But in all honesty everyone just needs to move on from comparing Bruce and Smiths tenures, different times, different players, different owners even. 

• Like 1

People still blame the players, but the last 10 showed what they are capable of. I'm not in the DS out camp, but they are either not listening or he is feeling the pressure playing for draw, both down to the manager. We only let go in the last 10 when we knew the game was about gone. This was not down to the players starting to perform, it was down to tactical change.  Like people say it's harder to go out and not lose than it is to go out an win, an at the moment with Smith I think this is the problem. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Did Bruce ever go on a run of 1 win in 12?

Has Smith? 

Last 12 games: 2W - 7D - 3L

We had an even worse run under Bruce:

29/12/16 - 25/02/17
12 Games: 2W - 2D - 8L

Although to his credit we did go on to win 7 of the next 8 games.

• Like 2

Â