Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Very similar to Sheff U away last season. Thumped. Deserved nothing. Crap performance from the management and players.

Don't care right now, delighted to pinch something.

This ref tonight. Wowee. I want to go up just to be rid of these useless words removed.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Avcol said:

Regardless of who is in charge, without promotion Tammy was always going to be going and strong possibility of Jack leaving too. Those things aren't on Smith when he's taken over a horror show after the summer upheaval. If we don't go up it's all Smith's fault? Come on man.

Also Mcginn will stay at least another season, don't think he's quite there yet where someone will come in and make a substantial offer.

where have said its on smith ?

where have I said non promotion this season is on smith ?

he could do with winning a game more than once  every six matches 

just pointing out that ripping the squad to pieces has its down sides as well as upsides.

think you need to read the post ..rather than jumping to the defence of mickey mouse ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

He’s barely been in charge. 

I absoutely detest the short term nature of modern football. “Win now or you’re shit!”  

he has been here for 121 days, pretty much 1/3 of a full calendar year.

As a completely meaningless comparison Solskjaer has been at united 51 days....

We employed Steve Bruce for 721 days, Smith has been in charge for 16.8% of that time already.

If, As many wanted we had sacked Bruce after the play-off final that would have been 521 days and Smith would be 23.2% of the way into that already.

The clock is ticking...

Edited by LakotaDakota

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

where have said its on smith ?

where have I said non promotion this season is on smith ?

he could do with winning a game more than once  every six matches 

just pointing out that ripping the squad to pieces has its down sides as well as upsides.

think you need to read the post ..rather than jumping to the defence of mickey mouse ...

Apologies, just the way things are jumped on you clearly aren't his biggest fan. I'm not here saying he's the next Sir Alex. He won't be able to control Tammy leaving and any big bids coming in for Grealish. But any other manager would be up against the same without promotion. 

Me saying let's give him a preseason doesn't make me his biggest fan. I'm just saying he needs patience from us to have full preparation in the summer with a squad he has put together. I don't think he's a certainty to succeed but unless Pep fancies a new challenge then we should stick with him.

• Like 1

I would just love to know what is going on behind the scenes, i cant beleive that DS isnt trying to get them playing proper football, i can only assume:

1) DS has realised they literally arent capable of it (without Grealish in the side), and is trying to play a way that suits them - not sure that it thought as they look consistently terrible since Grealish got injured - if they are this bad playing the way they are, why arent they just "trying" to play proper football??

2) DS is trying to get them to play proper football but they arent listening, arent capable, dont care as they know they are leaving in the summer, or a mix of all of this?

3) Something else?

The more i see Villa the more i think a good proportion of our players are just terrible, and we have the usually Villa problem of thinking our players are better than they are, i really dont know, i would really like to know whats going on, i mean......i do wonder if its a mix of point 1 & 2, and there is also something im missing in numerous other points?

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would just love to know what is going on behind the scenes, i cant beleive that DS isnt trying to get them playing proper football, i can only assume:

1) DS has realised they literally arent capable of it (without Grealish in the side), and is trying to play a way that suits them - not sure that it thought as they look consistently terrible since Grealish got injured - if they are this bad playing the way they are, why arent they just "trying" to play proper football??

2) DS is trying to get them to play proper football but they arent listening, arent capable, dont care as they know they are leaving in the summer, or a mix of all of this?

3) Something else?

The more i see Villa the more i think a good proportion of our players are just terrible, and we have the usually Villa problem of thinking our players are better than they are, i really dont know, i would really like to know whats going on, i mean......i do wonder if its a mix of point 1 & 2, and there is also something im missing in numerous other points?

I would have said option 2 but then tonight happened!

You know what you can slag him off and I have some serious concerns but really what can anyone do with our midfielders.  They are so slow and so ponderous.   Their constant wayward passing makes is impossible to attack and piles pressure on the defence ass each attack inevitably breaks down because of the misplaced pass or hopeful punt forward that surrenders possession. 

Our wingers are diabolical and without Jack we haven't one player who can play through the middle.  What can he do? So many poor players who can't even do the basics.  Take off Jedi and play Whelan. Hourihane or Bjarnasson Kodjia or El Khazi or Adomah. They are all highly paid and not fit to take the shirt of some lower table championship player earning a quarter of what they get. 

Our squad is a complete embarrassment. 

Edited by sidcow

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

3) Something else?

well the guy who trains them everyday. thought kjodia and Jedinak were better options than Whelan and Green. Kudos for the subs but what would have happened if Green had started .......

for 81 mins we were woeful ...for the remaining 9 we sliced through a table topping sides defence like butter.....go figure.....

just hope DS has stumbled on a winning formula...he will get time. .but for me more evidence that we will be forever mid table.

They fought well to draw the game, but we shouldn't be 3-0 down at home in the first place.

Once again, not good enough.

I think all these 2-2 games and yesterday's 3-3 result sums up DS pretty well as a manager. Yeah we will score alot of goals, but also concede equally as many which ultimately won't be enough to get promoted.

If he can sort out the defensive problems we'll have a good year next season, but i doubt he will.

Edited by villalad21

I honestly think he has been told behind the scenes don't worry about promotion this season and sort other things out. Rightly or wrongly but when you look at our transfer window and us not really replacing Bolaise or Hogan does suggest that.

Of course issue there is lack of motivation which ties in with performances but then it's been identical to SB's first six months with us and at least he produce a top 6 standard team the next season.

I didn't judge SB properly until the first game of 17/18 so will be using the same criteria here even if this season does feel a bit of a missed opportunity with the top teams not being as good points wise as likes of Wolves and Newcastle.

That's the gamble the club has taken. Let's hope the guys at the top know what they're doing and have added their sums up this time.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

You know what you can slag him off and I have some serious concerns but really what can anyone do with our midfielders.  They are so slow and so ponderous.   Their constant wayward passing makes is impossible to attack and piles pressure on the defence ass each attack inevitably breaks down because of the misplaced pass or hopeful punt forward that surrenders possession. 

Our wingers are diabolical and without Jack we haven't one player who can play through the middle.  What can he do? So many poor players who can't even do the basics.  Take off Jedi and play Whelan. Hourihane or Bjarnasson Kodjia or El Khazi or Adomah. They are all highly paid and not fit to take the shirt of some lower table championship player earning a quarter of what they get. 

Our squad is a complete embarrasment. 

Mcginn is a very good player. .hourihane more than adequate at this level.....

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

well the guy who trains them everyday. thought kjodia and Jedinak were better options than Whelan and Green. Kudos for the subs but what would have happened if Green had started .......

for 81 mins we were woeful ...for the remaining 9 we sliced through a table topping sides defence like butter.....go figure.....

just hope DS has stumbled on a winning formula...he will get time. .but for me more evidence that we will be forever mid table.

I’d probably have had picked jedinak and kodjia over Whelan and Green too. 

This is just a theory but I thought it worth a mention.

Dean Smith has usually worked with a young squad who probably hung on his every word as they sought to improve. I'm guessing that this is the first time he has had a number of vastly experienced older players in the dressing room and on the training pitch.

I wonder if he's allowing these older players too much influence in the way we are currently playing?

Could it be that four or five older heads are still influencing the team between matches? Hutt's Tayl's, Wheels, Jedi, Chessy etc are nicknames that he regularly mentions in interviews. They have dominated the dressing room for a while, so is he unwittingly giving these players too much respect because he's not had to deal with their like before?

We started out playing the 'Smith' way, but now we are slowly slipping back to 'Brucie' football. If there is any substance in what is only guesswork by me, DS needs to take back the reins and impose his authority on his team. 

• Like 1

The selection of Kodjia and Jedinak confused me today if I'm honest. 

Sheffield United play quick attacking football and play with 2 wingbacks that play high up the pitch, so starting with Jedinak who can barely move and winger that isn't going to track back is a strange choice.

43 minutes ago, hippo said:

Mcginn is a superb player. .hourihane completely awful at this level.....

Fixed that for you.

Midfield does not consist of one player by the way. 

Â