Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

He struggled at Celtic, the only team in the league

Would have been uproar on here ifBruce had signed him

Only if he flopped. I'd like to think the majority ofthe base would give him a chance to prove himself

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Depends on how you luck at it. Smith may see it as 2 wins in last 8 league games and only 1 defeat. Some of the draws we should have won. Not good enough but hardly enough to completely change things.  He feels there has been improvement in the last 3 games from early Jan so why should he change it? You can see the players know what they have to do. They just aren’t executing it well. 

Then again he could mix it up every game so the players look clueless. 

You’d have a field day with that. 

I stand corrected - he is the messiah - sorry I ever doubted him 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

You are right there wasn’t a big reaction from fans when he left as it’s something most of our reasonable fans have accepted with Managers and players moving on to bigger clubs and massive wage increases.I expect he will get a warm welcome back next week from most of our fans.Dean was very popular with our young squad and after he left along with the sad death of our young technical director there was a big cloud of doom around the place which now appears have been lifted after losing 9 in 10 we are now 9 unbeaten after the coach changed our playing set up.I hope Dean is successful and takes you back to the PL but I just hope he’s given time.Villa is a massive change for Dean as he had an excellent support network that left him purely to coach the team while he was (apart from Sawyers and Henry who came from Walsall)presented with young players mainly from abroad with potential where at Villa they can afford to buy the finished article when he gets the opportunity in the summer transfer market but that will come with pressure that he never had with us.Dean is a real leader of men and has captained every team he’s played for just hope he’s not warming the seat for JT.Looking forward to next Wednesday will be plenty of goals for sure.

dont think JT will be here long enough. There was some speculation he only works a couple of days in any case.

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wtf mate. About a line later I said it’s not good enough. My point was I don’t think he should start chopping and changing every game just yet.

OK my bad ..

it does seem though he is waiting for the current crop to come good. I think he could have given a couple of younger players a shot to freshen it up a bit. Didn't really really see what Bree did wrong to get dropped IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Depends on how you luck at it. Smith may see it as 2 wins in last 8 league games and only 1 defeat. Some of the draws we should have won. Not good enough but hardly enough to completely change things.  He feels there has been improvement in the last 3 games from early Jan so why should he change it? You can see the players know what they have to do. They just aren’t executing it well. 

Draws are almost as bad as losing in this league, draws won't get you anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

OK my bad ..

it does seem though he is waiting for the current crop to come good. I think he could have given a couple of younger players a shot to freshen it up a bit. Didn't really really see what Bree did wrong to get dropped IMO.

I think it could have been after the Wigan game. He was shocking in that. Then again they all were. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They are but when everyone around us keeps dropping points too those points are important.

You’re right, we are 4 points off the play offs, if we had lost all the draws it would be about 10. Didn’t Cardiff go up on goal difference or just the odd point? They may be frustrating, but draws can be significant when you add up all the points in May. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re right, we are 4 points off the play offs, if we had lost all the draws it would be about 10. Didn’t Cardiff go up on goal difference or just the odd point? They may be frustrating, but draws can be significant when you add up all the points in May. 

As long as those above us also drop enough points.

But you're right, they secured 2nd position by 2 pts. 

Fwiw in that season they drew 9 games and lost 10.

So far this season we've drew 13 and lost 7.

22 hours ago, jim said:

On the flip side we just keep a crap manager just because? 

He is an average mid table championship manager and that exactly what he will turn us into if we keep him beyond the summer. 

I disagree, this club does have the pull to attract a better calibre if manager. 

I'm not in favour of getting rid of DS however I do agree that we are still capable of recruiting a manager who has achieved more to date 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd go for Allardyce.

He got West Ham promoted on his 1st attempt and stabilized them in the prem.

Yea his football style isn't the greatest but all i care about right now is getting out of this s***hole of a league.

I cannot agree with this train of thought - we've just gotten rid of Mk2  - personally I don't want an Allardyce, Hughes, Moyes, Pullis near our club ever again  + he has an ego bigger than Bruce.

For me I am prepared to give DS time  - the play off is still a legitimate target for us and a number of other clubs around us.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is exactly the type of thinking that led us to Bruce and the mess we find ourselves in this season.

We're finally trying a new approach from the top down, but yeah let's just rip that all up and just go back to the approach that hasn't worked since 2010. What could go wrong?

Would you rather play ugly football and get back into the prem or play pretty football and stay here for 10 +years?

The dream is to get our own Eddie Howe, but managers like that occur maybe 2-3 times every 10 years and i don't believe DS is anywhere near Eddie Howe in terms of coaching abilities nor do i think he will ever be.

I think Allardyce would do really well with this team, i really do.

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Would you rather play ugly football and get back into the prem or play pretty football and stay here for 10 +years?

The dream is to get our own Eddie Howe, but managers like that occur maybe 2-3 times every 10 years and i don't believe DS is anywhere near Eddie Howe in terms of coaching abilities nor do i think he will ever be.

I used that same line of thinking when Bruce was here. I wanted to get back to the Prem by any means necessary. Who better to deliver than Mr. 4 Promotions himself? These guys are outdated and leave you with an inflated wage bill full of old overpaid players.

What happens if Allardyce fails to achieve our target? We're back to square one. At least if Smith fails, all we have to do is swap out the manager instead of overhauling the entire club from the ground up. I have much more time for this approach than the former. We have far too much experience with that approach to know better by now I'd hope. We'll be rid of much of Bruce's past-it dead wood this summer. I'd rather not add to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I used that same line of thinking when Bruce was here. I wanted to get back to the Prem by any means necessary. Who better to deliver than Mr. 4 Promotions himself? These guys are outdated and leave you with an inflated wage bill full of old overpaid players.

What happens if Allardyce fails to achieve our target? We're back to square one. At least if Smith fails, all we have to do is swap out the manager instead of overhauling the entire club from the ground up. I have much more time for this approach than the former. We have far too much experience with that approach to know better by now I'd hope. We'll be rid of much of Bruce's past-it dead wood this summer. I'd rather not add to it.

I wouldn't say Bruce and Allardyce are equally good coaches.

Allardyce have a much better track record in the prem.

And if these kinds of managers are outdated why did we reach the play off final last season and why are Boro 5th?

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think Allardyce would do really well with this team, i really do.

We have no Big Sam type players though the thought of Jedinak/Whelan starting in midfield together every week does fill my with emotional satisfaction. We dont even have many 6 foot lumps in defence 

Â